What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Gosford care about rugby league?

brendothejet

First Grade
Gosford Stadium Is A Good Groundf... Really Enjoyed It The Few Times Ive Been.

Id Love To See The Bears Up There And Western Australia In The Next 7 Years

brooksy19

Bench
We're as League mad as Newcastle.

If we had our own team there'd be 18-20k per game, put simply the NRL has rocks in their heads if they don't put a team in here.

Soccer :lol:

sunny

lol, the annual gosford debate. for mine, the mob up there blew it with the northern eagles thing. One thing that folks never bring up... people there boycotted the northern eagles because they didn't want to share with manly...yet leichhardt shares with campbelltown for the tigers, and you didn't see any boycotting going on at either of those grounds. likewise, kogarah shares with the 'gong for the drgaons, and you don't see any boycotting there. Yet this mob still thinks they're entitled to a team.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
sunny said:
lol, the annual gosford debate. for mine, the mob up there blew it with the northern eagles thing. One thing that folks never bring up... people there boycotted the northern eagles because they didn't want to share with manly...yet leichhardt shares with campbelltown for the tigers, and you didn't see any boycotting going on at either of those grounds. likewise, kogarah shares with the 'gong for the drgaons, and you don't see any boycotting there. Yet this mob still thinks they're entitled to a team.

Bull sh*t they didn't desert the WT in droves. RL lost A LOT of supporters through those mergers.

Timmah

Staff member
That's a good question Copa. Very important one too.

Knightmare

Coach
I supported the Mariners from the beginning. And the "Central Coast don't deserve a team because they didn't support the Eagles" way of thinking is one of the stupidest I know.

LESStar58

Referee
sunny said:
lol, the annual gosford debate.

i didnt staret this thread as a debate.

this goose mate of mine made the statement "nobody cares about league in Gosford".

I'm tryin to prove him wrong :cool:

Schillaci

Juniors
Timmah said:
FTR:

Mariners pre season cup first and only home game until September the other night. First game since the grand final.

Crowd?

Yeah, the Coast LOVES the Mariners :roll:
no Advertising?

Rain?

LU forum paranoia?

Raider Ultra

Bench
The Gosford stadium is over-rated. Sure it is central and has good facilities, but everytime I've been there it has been windy, cold and no atmosphere.

Timmah

Staff member
Atmosphere is incredible IMO. However the open-endedness means there's always that wind coming in off Brisbane Water so unfortunately you're right there. That said, you can't blame the weather for the ground.

t-ba

Post Whore
sunny said:

The Neagles stuff is brought up in every argument about the CC...and I think you should check some of the WTigers attendances in their first 4 seasons before claiming that fans weren't boycotting the JV. It's a shame the old RLeague archive was wiped clean because some of the old threads were open warfare between the Magpies and Balmain fans.

They deserve a team, and they deserve it soon.

Timmah

Staff member
Good to see a Manly fan who doesn't hate the CC. :clap: Well said t=ba

The Observer

Staff member
The CC Stadium is the best boutique ground in the country, it is an excellent ground, great place to watch football.

CC certainly deserves a NRL team to represent it. Sydney may have too many teams, but that does not mean the CC doesn't deserve one.

Glenn

First Grade
Timmah said:
FTR:

Mariners pre season cup first and only home game until September the other night. First game since the grand final.

Crowd?

Yeah, the Coast LOVES the Mariners :roll:

For a pre season game, with little hype and given the weather couldn't expect much more.
More than enough room on the Coast for both league and football to co-exist

Special K

Coach
if an nrl team was put on the coast you'd never hear about the mariners. Thats not trying to put them down thats just the truth. This is a league place through and through.

Schillaci

Juniors
Yeh it was a shocking crowd in Gosford on Saturday night as opposed to the bumper NRL crowds on the same night....

Souths v Manly - 7,509
Panthers v Cowboys - 8,212

The mariners only drew a few thousand less for a meaningless pre-season game.

:lol: :oops:

N.C.

Juniors
I wouldn't say that the Central Coast doesn't care about the Soccer - there seems to be a fair amount of grass roots support and I think that is one reason the Mariners are settling in here. I take the point that the media jumped on a bit of a bandwagon at the end of the A-League season but I think you are kidding yourself if you think the support for the Mariners was entirely manufactured. I think you need to bear in mind that it was an innaugural season...

But I think you'd be kidding yourself just as wholeheartedly to say that we don't care about rugby league. Last time I looked there was a thriving local senior comp. with most teams fileding first and second grade teams. Sure there's some big discrepancies in terms of how well the teams perform with some being absolutely blasted off the park by others - you probably couldn't call it a very even comp... But it is there, and people go to watch.

On another note - as a Balmain supporter who only really came to terms with the merger towards the end of 2004 (my first trip to Campbelltown) I'd have to question the comparison between the mergers of Wests & Balmain and St George & Illawarra, and Norths & Manly. For one, Manly as a team are one of those love/hate teams. If you don't love them, you hate them. So of course there would be problems with them merging with another team - but especially another team from a similar geographical area - that would be like merging Souths and Easts, or Cronulla and St George, or Balmain and Canterbury. After years of good old fashioned local derbies, to have to suddenly share a team with these people? You're gonna piss more people off that way...

Also I am not sure on this - can someone clarify for me whether the Bears were traditionally a Central Coast team before the merger? My recollection is that they were not, and that they agreed to relocate to the Coast as part of the merger? If that is so, then why should we have the Bears thrust on us again instead of a new Central Coast team?