What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Mick Stone get sacked now or what?

Ribs

Bench
I think its blatantly obvious that his call was incorrect and being such a crucial call in the context of not only the game but the season, does he get punished?

I can honestly say thats the worst decision I have EVER seen by a video referee and the fact that PJ Bitch has been charged shows Stone up to be either incompetent or a *edit*. Take your pick, either way he should be watching from his couch from home next weekend..

Southernsaint

Staff member
Stone's made heaps worse decisions in the past & will make more in the future, you can count on that

Ribs

Bench
He can at least be made cash in his Parra 13+ ticket and give it to charity.....

Ribs

Bench
Careful? I thought I well and truly jumped over the line then Willow.

Its ok, I'll cop an early plea and get off for this one........

Willow

Assistant Moderator
To weigh into the debate once more, I cannot see how he thought no contact was made or how the tackle wasn't too high.

Putting aside the match result and fan rivalry, I've had another look today, sound turned down. I tried hard to see how Marsh missed the mark. He was in the air, contact was made.
How could Stone miss it? I'm sure he has better gear than I do and the pictures were clear enough to me. And it didnt take that long to work it out.

The fact that the MRC thought it warranted a charge indicates that Stone got it wrong.

Ribs

Bench
When I saw the replay I had no doubt it was no try and I still cant understand how a bloke in that position with that many replays and angles can conclude that it wasnt worthy of a penalty. Its nothing short of pathetic.

How he still has a job is beyond me.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
We'll see when the refs are announced. Might be up now but its usually put up tonight or tommorrow.
Doesn't change anything though.
As a matter of interest (and I say this with respect), how old is Mick Stone? I recall he used to be a ref yonks ago.

Saint 60

Juniors
Little more than zip will happen...refs altho wombats are protected species and so it will remain..so will video refs be --

somebody will stuff up in another game this week and heel be getting his job back after this week...surprize surprize surprize

Dragons2005

Juniors
Yeah it’s a bit harsh you make a wrong decision or a mistake as a player you cop weeks but if you make these mistakes as an official nothing happens.

These blokes should be accountable for the mistakes like suggested on the Sunday roast a ref press conference. Although it has been said before the refs come back will be (that’s the way I seen it at the time) well that’s ok for 2 or 3 calls but as soon as a ref keeps saying that’s the way I seen it to every comeback for his actions then his position as an NRL official needs to be questioned.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dragons2005 said:
but as soon as a ref keeps saying that’s the way I seen it to every comeback for his actions then his position as an NRL official needs to be questioned.
Sure but the referees are bound to get it wrong sometimes.

I personally have no issue with them making honest mistakes but I do have a problem with Mick Stone's competency in this case.

This is the video we all saw on Friday night:
AVI FILE - DOWNLOAD HERE (3.4MB)

Barrett's reaction is just stupid imo and we've been over what he could have or should have done.

However, at the very least, it is astounding that a video ref couldn't see anything wrong with Marsh leaping through the air like that. And again, at the very least, how could Mick Stone say there was nothing careless or dangerous in the 'tackle'? How could he say it wasn't high? And how could award a try based on what we all saw?

The best defence available to the video ref is that Marsh only grazed Barrett's chin. So the throat is now fair game? It is still a dangerous/careless tackle Mick... and it still looks pretty high to me.

Mick Stone made a mistake. In my opinion he would have done his job properly if he said 'no try' and advised Mander to place both Marsh and Barrett on report.

That's the way the MRC saw it as well.

lik my eel

Juniors
its very simple....
barretts a sook...... if he doesnt want 2 get hit... dont play football...
he wasnt hit high or late....
how can a player stop himself in mid air??
as for punching a player much smaller than himself from behind.... pretty gutless... i dont suppose anyone saw the sh*t scared look on his face when cayless came at him??
hes got no heart... niether have some of the other saints players... thats why their seasons over.... no other reason

Dragons_#1

Bench
lik my eel said:
its very simple....
barretts a sook...... if he doesnt want 2 get hit... dont play football...
he wasnt hit high or late....
how can a player stop himself in mid air??
as for punching a player much smaller than himself from behind.... pretty gutless... i dont suppose anyone saw the sh*t scared look on his face when cayless came at him??
hes got no heart... niether have some of the other saints players... thats why their seasons over.... no other reason

- im pretty sure barrett would of hit him if he was facing him!!!
- He didnt back off or run away when cayless came in, cayless pushed him thats why he wasnt in the thick of things.