What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does NZ Fox Commentator Call Ben Barba a N**ger?

Eels Dude

Coach
Definitely trying to say Enigmatic but stumbles halfway through the word. Three syllable words are probably his limit.

flippikat

Bench
Definitely trying to say Enigmatic but stumbles halfway through the word. Three syllable words are probably his limit.

Sounds like he says "e-ni**er-matic", which must be some type of consumer electronics device that he must have thought-up.

Or a robot that was developed in Alabama.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Tim-Tebow-pray.jpg

PARRA_FAN

Coach
yeah it spose to be enigmatic, We here in NZ have been complaing out our commentators for years, Halligans is like a drunk robot calling games. Andrew Voss seems to be available, get him over for warriors games damn it.

Or even Graham Hughes, he's 1000000 times better than their last few commentators.

Dunno much about this current commentator but he sounds ordinary, and its worse when Halligan goes off.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Or even Graham Hughes, he's 1000000 times better than their last few commentators.

Dunno much about this current commentator but he sounds ordinary, and its worse when Halligan goes off.

Hughes was good, dunno why Sky got rid of him. Costigan was a f**king gimp though. At least the current commentators pronounce polynesian names properly, but thats about all I can say for them.

undertaker

Coach
Hughes was good, dunno why Sky got rid of him. Costigan was a f**king gimp though. At least the current commentators pronounce polynesian names properly, but thats about all I can say for them.

Maybe he wanted to come back to Australia, I dunno. I do remember him being the inaugural caller for NZ (then Auckland) Warriors games until 2000, and his commentary craps all over his two successors, Jason Costigan and Steve McIvor. There's absolutely no comparison between the three.

On the topic of Hughes, I was watching that '91 Roosters/Dragons game on Fox the other day and yeah, Hughes was an outstanding caller. The Hughes-Bill Anderson caller/colour commentator combination was light years ahead of Rabs and Gus. You can say whatever the hell you like to about him now being a bitter, twisted old Gallop hater on Talkin' Sport but as a caller, he would give everyone currently calling NRL games a run for their money despite being out of the commentary box for 11 yrs. Don't know why someone like Fox Sports hasn't snapped him up. All of this whilst ppl like Fatty, Ben Ikin and Gorden Tallis have commentary positions...it just doesn't seem right.

Whoever gets the rights, tv or radio, next year needs to give Hughes a call, get him out of that shambles of a station that is called 2SM where he's wasting all his energy whinging about Gallop and working in shantyhouse conditions thanks to Caralis being a tightarse (John Laws knows all about this. Recently, his arch enemy Hadley had to bail him out when he called Telstra after some malfunction at 2SM with the phone lines:lol::lol:), and put him in the commentary box where he belongs. Hughes not calling matches is one of the biggest waste of talent.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I saw a classic clip from the first 20/20 game in New Zealand and Hughes was the commentator. He was actually pretty good in both games as commentator.

Speaking of wasted talent, Warren Boland. Although he's still commentating on the ABC in Queensland, I actually thought he was a pretty good caller back in the 90s.

Latest posts