What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dog caught in cap dispute- Again

Dogaholic

First Grade
Kelly Patrol said:
Its a Dogs World said:
Kelly Patrol,
*edit*

:roll:

I've never been to court for anything. Leave your racist/stereotypical views out of this!

What exactly was racist about my uncalled for comment?Are the Dogs a race of people now?Playing the race card is totally lame imo.

I will await the NRL'S judgement before further comment.

please refer to the site guidelines ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Zef said:
????

Well what the hell are you saying then?

Because I just can't get my head around what value a player (or anyone) would give an employer to do something that nobody ever knows about.

Unless he's a hitman.

from here http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/18/1029114051980.html

Storm chief executive Chris Johns said his club had paid more than $90,000 with regard to the 2001 season for breaches concerning payments to players from sponsors.

"We've put our hand up and admitted to third-party payments from three sponsors to players for amounts between $25,000 and $50,000 each," Johns said. "We will have to pay the same fines again for 2002 and 2003 because the contracts between the players and sponsors were three-year deals."

How many ads did you see Storm players in?

JK

Um, in melbourne there are a few.

Not huge in Sydney though.

These weren't all TV ads either.

If it wasn't for the 'bring back bev' sign I'd question your intelligence! :lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
JK said:
Um, in melbourne there are a few.

Not huge in Sydney though.

These weren't all TV ads either.

If it wasn't for the 'bring back bev' sign I'd question your intelligence! :lol:

So the team that can't get a game on channel 9 in Melbourne had ads like the SBW one running down there :lol:

And the sponsors were paying $50k to these players to do ads that were ONLY shown in Melbourne :lol:

I'd wager the sponsors payments had nothing to do with TV commercials.

Only a fool would think that sponsors pay money to players solely for TV commercials.

Zef

Juniors
El Diablo said:

The point is Diablo - do you think NOBODY knew about it?

You asked how many other Dogs are in our place that nobody knows are getting paid by outside sources - do you think Woolworths or someone's gonna ask Corey Hughes to move boxes for them and say "And don't tell anyone about it, nobody will ever know".

Do you think nobody would ever recognise them? (Well maybe they wouldn't recognise Corey).

El Diablo

Post Whore
Zef said:
El Diablo said:

The point is Diablo - do you think NOBODY knew about it?

You asked how many other Dogs are in our place that nobody knows are getting paid by outside sources - do you think Woolworths or someone's gonna ask Corey Hughes to move boxes for them and say "And don't tell anyone about it, nobody will ever know".

Do you think nobody would ever recognise them? (Well maybe they wouldn't recognise Corey).

why do you keep tinking that players have to be seen in some sort of ad :?

some mob may give a player acar to drive as sponsorship without him having to say a bloody word

El Diablo

Post Whore
If the club was sponsored by them it is. Tht's why any money SBW gets from the Gatorade ad is counted as salary cap. If the Dogs weren't sponsored by them then it wouldn't be.

MysteryGirl

First Grade
You have very weird rules down there.

Right when I think I "get" how this game works - there's another twist and turn that I have to try to figure out.

jed

First Grade
Pretty much how it works is that payments from the club are called 1st Party Payments, goods/services/money from club sponsors are 2nd Party Payments, and goods/services/money from totally outside sources are 3rd Party Payments.

Anything that comes from 1st and 2nd Parties are counted in the salary cap, but anything from 3rd party sources is exempt. Some clubs are better at attracting 3rd party payments than others, the tough part being that the 3rd party gets essentially no public recognition for their efforts.

Zef

Juniors
El Diablo said:

some mob may give a player acar to drive as sponsorship without him having to say a bloody word

How's Corey in an ad if he's moving moving boxes for Woolworths?

But anyway - OK, so Holden give Benny Harris a car and he doesn't say a bloody word.

So what do Holden get out of it?

Are they just Dog fans or maybe Benny Harris fans so they give him a car but don't want jack-sh.t in return. In fact, they not only don't want jack-sh.t in return they also don't want Benny to tell a soul, not a word to anyone.

Because it's good business right?

Dogaholic

First Grade
El Diablo said:
If the club was sponsored by them it is. Tht's why any money SBW gets from the Gatorade ad is counted as salary cap. If the Dogs weren't sponsored by them then it wouldn't be.

The part that I don't get though, is that Gatorade apparently also is a sponsor of the NRL. Surely they have every right to market their investment who play's in the NRL and pay him what ever they see fit!

ibeme

First Grade
Its a Dogs World said:
El Diablo said:

The part that I don't get though, is that Gatorade apparently also is a sponsor of the NRL. Surely they have every right to market their investment who play's in the NRL and pay him what ever they see fit!

This raises an interesting question. Is SBW being sponsored as a Bulldog, or an NRL player?

Also, if this is a breach under NRL rules, is SBW being unfairyly discriminated against in terms of free trade because he's ineligible to receive sponsorship that players from other teams are eligible for?

Basically, if such a sponsorship deal is brokered or linked to the club, then it should be included in their salary cap, and a breach notice issued if it takes them over the cap. If such a deal is brokered with no involvement from the club, then it should be treated as personal sponsorship, not club. If the sponsors decide that it's wise to personally sponsor a player from a club that they sponsor, then that's their decision, not the club's.

El Diablo said:
It's the players duty to tell them too, not just the managers.

One would think the guys doing the books at the Dogs would ask players if there were any additional monies they're earning that the club doesn't know about. Especially after 2002 and with that 500k suspended fine.

i'm sure its written into the players contract to fully inform of extra payments

dodge said:
douglasallen91 said:
dodge said:
#-o OK Mr Allen, read the article. Have we made a $1million+ breach again?

Gawd you're really looking for an excuse mate. Let me rephrase your little person A spiel:

say person A had murdered someone in the past and done time, three months later he punches his friend in the arm. Are you telling me he should be locked up for life now? :roll: :clap: Great work Sherlock. Maybe you'\ll get a job at the Supreme Court one day :lol:

dipstick when did i say they had did a offence that big, u still look in the past, to come up with the punishment for a proven allegation.

Yes that's true mate but you likened it very much the wrong way. You and many others are acting as if we've done a $2mil cap rort again.

you misunderstand me, it's obviousely not that bad but of course the bulldogs are going to be under extra watch (just like criminals etc (p.s. don't confuse me as saying it is as bad as that) are more watched by the police when they come out of jail) for any offences they do.

p.s. i am getting sick of the bulldogs fans blaming the media for reporting things that are happening with the club. they didn't rort the salary cap, they didn't get into the situation at coffs harbour, they didn't take the cocaine.

if they can't report the bad stuff that happens i guess they shouldn't have reported that the bulldogs won the grandfinal last year since it was bad news to the roosters

JK

I am glad the issue of sponsor payments to players has arisen again. It is unfair when any club gets fined for sponsors using players to promote their products. Worse, it is actually self-defeating as it reduces the opportunity for league to have its players prominantly displayed.

Clubs need club sponsors but individual players will go to other codes if they cannot get properly reimbursed for their advertising potential in League.

Here is how i see it .
All the clubs are doing it one way or another,its their competetive survival.
The cap needed to go up a long time ago we are falling behind sports when it comes to pay day.
I say good on ya bulldogs dont take a backward step if some one else wants to pay yopur players then thats good business.
Clubs should pay their players within a curtrent and updated cap,and any out side extra income from sponsors etc should be welcomed.
Does it not make good business sense?.
NRL is run by tight arses because the orchestrators of supperleague lost a lot of money and are trying to make it back by keeping the commodity run cheap and maximiseing their profits.
Which agains for them is good business sense-Catch 22 situation.
You will find that one day a superleague situation may brew again if they dont get with it.
Sonny Bill made a commercial and got paid accordingly stiss shiite.
Whats he supoposed to do be a superstar and not get paid for his services?.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Zef said:
El Diablo said:

How's Corey in an ad if he's moving moving boxes for Woolworths?

But anyway - OK, so Holden give Benny Harris a car and he doesn't say a bloody word.

So what do Holden get out of it?

Are they just Dog fans or maybe Benny Harris fans so they give him a car but don't want jack-sh.t in return. In fact, they not only don't want jack-sh.t in return they also don't want Benny to tell a soul, not a word to anyone.

Because it's good business right?

I find you hard to believe. Fittler was sponsored by Wizard. Tell me what he did for them?

Kelly Patrol

Juniors
Good afternoon forum brethren.

The Patrol is currently present...so hearken if you may.

Alot of smoke and mirrors on this thread.The facts are these old chaps:

*edited- nothing has been proven to be breached yet*

Simply marvellous!!!

Tally-ho