What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs face battle to keep six key stars

Seano

Juniors
Anasta will go to Souths, the others who knows.

I cant see them letting go of SBW and Ryan -> they are class.
Tonga and Mason could go either way

ByRd

First Grade
i wouldnt mind if anasta leaves becasue he is on about $400 000- $500 000 & if he left then that money could easily be used to cater for the other players.

**Asotasi comes off contract at the end of 2006**

El Diablo

Post Whore
ozzy_ozman said:
Stranger said:
The fact is if they keep em all they are cheats if they dont there stupid for letting them go

whats wrong if we keep all our best players you idiot? why would we be considered cheats if we kept these players.

Because most of the above players next contracts will be worth a lot more than their current ones.

Disco

Bench
I believe that Anasta will go to Souths, SBW, Bobcat and Tonga will stay and i think Mason will aswell, Lolesi could go either way

Also is Ben Harris off-contract

Stranger

Coach
ozzy_ozman said:
Stranger said:
The fact is if they keep em all they are cheats if they dont there stupid for letting them go

whats wrong if we keep all our best players you idiot? why would we be considered cheats if we kept these players.

there is nothing stupid about letting a couple of players go just like what your beloved knights did to keep your precious "im out for the season" barge arse johns from preventing him to go to union!

f**k your a dumb one arnt you..

What you are going to keep em all whilst fitting under the cap aye?
All bulldogs fans know that they cant keep all those players under the cap. And if they do they will be called cheats anyway.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Anasta will go, though I doubt Souths unless they have $400-500 to spend to compete with Union (Don't believe everything you read about the deal being dead, its just they don't need the publicity at the moment) . But if he does go to Souths, its a fair bet that Matiua will follow as well.

I doubt they will resign Lolesi as they have some exceptional juniors coming through in the backline who will be a bit cheaper to keep in the short term. I'm sure the will want to hold onto Ben Harris if he can show some of that blockbusting 2003 form, he looked a bit average last year.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Stranger said:
ozzy_ozman said:
Stranger said:

there is nothing stupid about letting a couple of players go just like what your beloved knights did to keep your precious "im out for the season" barge arse johns from preventing him to go to union!

All bulldogs fans know that they cant keep all those players under the cap. And if they do they will be called cheats anyway.

They are working with the NRL auditor to do just that! If we do keep them all, you have no grounds to open your trap!

choc_soldier

Coach
The same thing happened with Penrith last year, as a number of young guns such as Waterhouse and Ross were off contract and commanded larger contracts. And as known, we just could not keep them all - sure, some retirements helped ease the squeeze, but losing players like Roberts and Whatuira MAY hurt us this year.

The same thing will happen with the Dogs, unfortunately. But that's the salary cap.

Stranger

Coach
Its a Dogs World said:
Stranger said:
ozzy_ozman said:
Stranger said:

They are working with the NRL auditor to do just that! If we do keep them all, you have no grounds to open your trap!
I DIDNT SAY I WOULD!
f**k ME!

I personally dont care about the cap. I never said i would call them cheats i said they would be called cheats. And there is no chance of the keeping all of them....... Look at the contract Williams is on now... he will be commanding atleast 400,000... he could get 500,000 at most cashed up clubs.

wogdog

Juniors
everyone is saying lolesi
hes improved his game alot since signin with the dogs and i prefer him over harris anyday, i think hel be kept
the players i think well loose are prob mason, anasta and harris will go.
just ansta and mason going will free up alot of cash

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
Stranger said:
Look at the contract Williams is on now... he will be commanding atleast 400,000... he could get 500,000 at most cashed up clubs.

Sonny Bill Williams isnt that stupid to earn that much money from the Bulldogs and he knew what happened with the dogs few years ago. Sonny Bill Williams is a very marketable rugby league player and already 3rd party sponsors like Nike, Toyota, Vodafone and Gatorade are talking to sonnys dum ass manger to sponsor sonny.

And by the way... which cashed up club would want to get sonny? The Manly Seagulls? the North Sydney Rabbitohs... oops... i mean SOuths? Sonny doesnt like to lose... he lives to win with the club he started off with!

RB30DETT

Juniors
There is a difference.

One is at the sunrise of his career, the other approaching the sunset.

The Dogs will keep who they keep, lose who they lose.

Nothing any of us can do about it, so no use worrying. :mrgreen:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I believe if they do keep all 6, they will be very skinny in depth. it depends how clubs juggle their books.

in saying that SBW will sign! Tonga will sign this week and Mason maybe 50/50 at this stage.

parra_princess

Juniors
This is what happens to clubs when they experience a bit of success. All their players which they strategically purchased on moderate incomes prior to 2004 can now add Grand final winner to their resume and it adds so much more to their asking price and it's gonna hit the Bulldogs hard.

Andrew Ryan has already signed on. This dosn't suprise me, he's got the captaincy and I remember when he left Parra at Seasons end 03, he went to the Bulldogs for less money (So there was NOTHING parra could have done to make him stay) . I'm sure the Doggies have offered him an attractive remuneration package & good luck to him. Bobcat is a top bloke.

Sonny Bill & Wille Mason you would think if they could secure these two, it might bring Tongas price down slightly purely because people like playing in Premiership winning sides. But SBW and Big WIllie won't come cheap.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Generalissimo Stalin said:
i though union were interested in both anasta and mason - would they go??

I think they're the 2 who are more likely to be looking at other options.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
Mason will stay for sure...
Tonga will resign sometime this week and will stay loyal for the team
SBW will stay loyal to the dogs for another 4 years
Anasta may have to choose to cut his salary in half.
Lolesi will have to see how things go for him while Utai and Harris are out injured