What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs not within a bull's roar of trial

Broncodroid

Juniors
Dogs not within a bull's roar of trial

January 31, 2005

Source: www.smh.com.au

Leeds: Coach Steve Folkes says the Bulldogs are unlikely to take up an offer of a training session with the Bradford Bulls, the arch-rivals of their World Club Challenge opponents Leeds.

British reports claimed Leeds were angered by Bradford's offer of match practice for the Bulldogs, who will go into Friday night's showdown against the English champions without a trial game.

But Folkes has downplayed the story. "There was an offer - we were chasing up some gear through [Canberra coach] Matt Elliott, who used to coach Bradford, and they offered, if we wanted, to do an opposed training session," he said. "But I don't think we are going to have the time to do it."

Folkes said there would be no surprises in his line-up, to be announced on Monday.

"We've just got the 18 guys with us, so the team will be probably as you would expect - I don't think there are any secrets about how we are going to line up," he said. "This is the strongest team we have got available at the moment."

Folkes admitted he knew little of the opposition, although he is aware of the Rhinos' star man, the promising Great Britain five-eighth Danny McGuire.

"We haven't watched Leeds at this stage, but we plan to do that in the next few days," he said. "Leeds have featured quite heavily on Fox [Sports TV], so I have seen them there, and I watched last year's final, which was a good performance.

"I saw McGuire in the tri-series and he impressed, he looked good on his feet and was a very bright performer."

The Bulldogs had just five days to adapt to the chilly conditions, and Folkes admitted: "I don't think you can acclimatise, we're not here long enough. But the jet lag will have gone by game time, hopefully, and we will start to get used to the conditions a little.

"It's not ideal, but we have trialled really well in the last couple of years and had very good preparation going into those games, and we have prepared similarly for this, so hopefully we will get a good performance first up. I think everyone is up for the game - it is an opportunity we may never get again.

"All of the guys are up for it, and we have some young guys who could make a name for themselves and it will be good for them.

"They will get their chance a bit earlier than anticipated, but they have all been playing well at premier league level."

Folkes said the front row was the main area in which he hoped the World Club Challenge would answer some questions before the NRL premiership began - particularly in identifying a replacement for former skipper Steve Price.

Folkes was also supportive of the possibility of taking the game to Australia, predicting it would attract a good crowd, although out of season.

"I can see there would be problems in coming down to Australia, as well as those involved in us coming up here. It's difficult for both sides - we haven't had a trial and Leeds have only had a few, but it would be nice to take it [to Australia] in the future," he said.

The game, at Elland Road, remains on course to be a sell-out.

Dogaholic

First Grade
A hit out with the bulls would have been good. But as Folkes said, they are pretty strapped for time.

JK

I reckon they should have taken the opportunity. Match fitness is not gained in teh gym.

Darth Bobo

I definitely would have liked to see them have a hit out before the big one, but I'll still be quietly confident.

As for Leeds being pissed about Bradfords offer, well I suspect they must be a little nervous to get upset over an opposed training run.

vbfg

Juniors
Darth Bobo said:
As for Leeds being pissed about Bradfords offer, well I suspect they must be a little nervous to get upset over an opposed training run.

They're dropping bricks I'm sure, but Leeds and Bradford are in the middle of a huge and steadily escalating row. They're traditional rivals anyway, they're the biggest games of the season now, a player Leeds think is contracted to them is currently playing for Bradford (hence my signature - I can't stand the Iestyn Harris personally but if you can stick the boot in on Leeds and make a yeast infection joke at the same time then it'd be a crime not to), comments from Bradford about recent drugs cases involving Leeds are now forcing Bradford's hand with a drugs case of their own and, to top it all, they'll be seeing each other in court over the next few months. Over the top soaps don't come much more dramatic than the current relationship between Leeds and Bradford. The offer to help your boys was as much intended to be heard in the Leeds offices as it was in the Canterbury ones.

bulldog

Bench
I can't stand the Iestyn Harris personally but if you can stick the boot in on Leeds and make a yeast infection joke at the same time then it'd be a crime not to

:lol:

I'm going to have a look for some news on this Iestyn situation, sounds bizarre.

JK

Bradford and Leeds are really the same place vbfg

Get over it and love one another :lol:

vbfg

Juniors
JK said:
Bradford and Leeds are really the same place vbfg

Get over it and love one another :lol:

I'll have to, in a moment of weakness I made a verbal promise to go train with their message board team. I don't expect to survive the weekend. :shock:

I read somewhere Bradley Clyde might be playing in the WCC game. If you can beat them with him on the field, after he spent a season as one of the highest earners on their books without actually playing, then I'll die happy. :D

vbfg

Juniors
bulldog said:
I can't stand the Iestyn Harris personally but if you can stick the boot in on Leeds and make a yeast infection joke at the same time then it'd be a crime not to

:lol:

I'm going to have a look for some news on this Iestyn situation, sounds bizarre.

It is, I've never come across owt quite like it before.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyleague/story/0,10069,1285987,00.html

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyleague/story/0,10069,1287932,00.html

My database of RL news stories only goes back to last August so those two are the earliest I can find in there. It started around July time I think.

Moffo

Referee
Leeds is much better than Bradford from my experiences up there

Leeds has awesome markets :lol:

vbfg

Juniors
Moffo said:

It depends. If it's quality of life and things like that that you want then Leeds is probably the better place. If you want comedy local politicians, race riots, a good sense of bitter vindictiveness and how to use it plus the smell of boiling fat from the local abattoir then it's Bradford all the way.

Bullseye

Juniors
vbfg said:
Moffo said:

It depends. If it's quality of life and things like that that you want then Leeds is probably the better place. If you want comedy local politicians, race riots, a good sense of bitter vindictiveness and how to use it plus the smell of boiling fat from the local abattoir then it's Bradford all the way.

Don't forget the empty shops in Bradford along with the magnificent Centenery square with its mosaic of chewing gum on the pavement.

One thing Bradford does have over Leeds is quality curry houses. Bradford did have the better RL team until last year but I'm hopeful that'll change again this season.