What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't change the club emblem

Victoire

Juniors
Welcome to my Ted talk.

I will attempt to convince you that changing our club emblem to a modernised monotone digital corporate logo is a bad idea.

The idea to “update” the corporate logo of The Dragons sounds like the brainchild of an out-of-their-depth sports administrator who’s just attended a marketing seminar and now loudly complains around the offices that no-one cares about finance in here. Rugby league is a business, they’ll say, and businesses need to refresh their branding every so often because it demonstrates reinvigoration and a new vision… or at least that’s what they read on LinkedIn last week. However the reality is that rugby league is not entirely a business. It’s not the business that people become passionate about, it’s not balance sheets that they argue over, and it’s not business that draws crowds. There’s something much deeper than that in this game - a communal connection across generations - and to neglect its essence too much in favour of business is to fail at both. We saw this in the disastrous multiple homes strategy back in the mid 2010s when we played at an empty Stadium Australia a few times a year.

Changing the logo to a supposedly cleaner, less busy device was kicked off by Souths however many years ago, when people started seeing that rabbit sticker on every second car and wanted to copy it. Since then the Panthers, Eagles, Raiders, Dogs and the brand new Dolphins have all followed suit. Therefore, it would not exactly be a revolutionary innovation for us to do the same now – we’d just be following the leader. Way too late – as usual. The cachet of this fashion trend is well and truly gone. We may as well get Ed Hardy to supply our training gear because that shit is lame.

2C5TVCp.jpg

Supposedly the other rationale is an attempt to mimic the big American sports teams, particularly in the NFL, where they have refined the logos to a minimalist symbol in order to stand out on the players’ helmets. Who can ignore the iconic star of the Dallas Cowboys, or the simple G of the Green Bay Packers. However, these are still very much “franchise” logos, and franchises by their very nature are flexible, portable, and, importantly, disposable. The Rams logo still looks like a Rams logo whether they’re in St Louis or LA, and the jolly roger of the Raiders has dropped its anchor in LA and Oakland and Las Vegas. Perhaps removing St George and Illawarra from our logo and shifting permanently to Nevada might finally get us an invite to the Las Vegas event.

oakland_raiders_helmet_logo_by_stupidbear190rises_dftd844-fullview.png

Another apparent reason for “streamlining” the club’s crest: digital platforms! You can’t have busy emblems on Instagram I suppose, perhaps it becomes indecipherable above those inane training montages that we post every Tuesday. Never mind that the 9 of the 10 most-followed clubs on Instagram are European soccer clubs – with the number one spot held by Real Madrid who have had essentially the same emblem since 1941. Speaking of soccer, the most watched sports league in the world is (surprisingly not the NFL who we are trying to mimic) the English premier League. The current leader of that league has a logo that looks like this:

Manchester_City_FC_badge.svg

I dunno, maybe old fashioned club crests are fine in that league? Because the clubs in that league are linked to traditional geographic towns and regions, creating a historic connection through the generations? Crazy stuff. Of course those “clubs” are really multi-million dollar shelf companies owned by billionaires with players from anywhere but those home towns living in obscene wealth in gated communities … but nevertheless... my point stands.

Yes we’ve had this logo since only 1978, but from a design perspective it was a progression from the original emblem from the 1950s, rather than a radical re-design. It was a club crest. I maintain that we are a football club with a crest. Not a franchise with a logo. Hopefully we keep it that way.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

9b301e3e5217e1dd6e9aa34d97effd2a

Jubilee

Juniors
Could not agree more. Corporate logos are created by people who in their very nature and for whatever reason don't like traditions. Everything has to be new, new, new! But it is never explained why it has to be new.

For example, consider the new Harley Davidson logo. Insane. They had a great, world-recognized design and they threw it away for a lump of nothing.

Victoire

Juniors
Could not agree more. Corporate logos are created by people who in their very nature and for whatever reason don't like traditions. Everything has to be new, new, new! But it is never explained why it has to be new.

For example, consider the new Harley Davidson logo. Insane. They had a great, world-recognized design and they threw it away for a lump of nothing.
lol I didn't know Harley Davidson did that. What a bike crash of a logo

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I think the Dragons have gone about updating the logo the right way so far.

On a lot of the media output and just regular supporter clothing (not jerseys) have that new dragons emblem with its 2 colour design and modern appeal.

But on the jerseys remains the classic St. George emblem which I doubt will ever change... Simply because it is so recognisable and synonymous with the Dragons.

You can't improve perfection.

Gareth67

First Grade
The huge red V and the emblem of St.George and the Dragon from the 50’s / 60’s always impressed me . Of course since we have had the amalgamation with Illawarra so both clubs need to included .

However I sincerely hope there is no great change to the basic format of the jersey , as that would be disappointing to say the least .

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
I don't really have an opinion either way.. as a graphic designer I do love a rebrand.. love fresh logos.. a coat of paint if you will.. im sure there are lots of pros and cons there to consider..

But as we have talked about before.. the fan-base who knew that dragons of yesteryear is getting old.. and it will die off over time.. the club dies with them unless they can continue to market and attract a younger audience... now that starts with winning football games tbh (which Flanno is working on), but there is more to it than that.. I dont know who is in charge of the marketing strategy at our club, but off the field (i.e. away from football), its got to be one of our highest priorities.

Bin Chicken

Juniors
Welcome to my Ted talk.

I will attempt to convince you that changing our club emblem to a modernised monotone digital corporate logo is a bad idea.

The idea to “update” the corporate logo of The Dragons sounds like the brainchild of an out-of-their-depth sports administrator who’s just attended a marketing seminar and now loudly complains around the offices that no-one cares about finance in here. Rugby league is a business, they’ll say, and businesses need to refresh their branding every so often because it demonstrates reinvigoration and a new vision… or at least that’s what they read on LinkedIn last week. However the reality is that rugby league is not entirely a business. It’s not the business that people become passionate about, it’s not balance sheets that they argue over, and it’s not business that draws crowds. There’s something much deeper than that in this game - a communal connection across generations - and to neglect its essence too much in favour of business is to fail at both. We saw this in the disastrous multiple homes strategy back in the mid 2010s when we played at an empty Stadium Australia a few times a year.

Changing the logo to a supposedly cleaner, less busy device was kicked off by Souths however many years ago, when people started seeing that rabbit sticker on every second car and wanted to copy it. Since then the Panthers, Eagles, Raiders, Dogs and the brand new Dolphins have all followed suit. Therefore, it would not exactly be a revolutionary innovation for us to do the same now – we’d just be following the leader. Way too late – as usual. The cachet of this fashion trend is well and truly gone. We may as well get Ed Hardy to supply our training gear because that shit is lame.

2C5TVCp.jpg

Supposedly the other rationale is an attempt to mimic the big American sports teams, particularly in the NFL, where they have refined the logos to a minimalist symbol in order to stand out on the players’ helmets. Who can ignore the iconic star of the Dallas Cowboys, or the simple G of the Green Bay Packers. However, these are still very much “franchise” logos, and franchises by their very nature are flexible, portable, and, importantly, disposable. The Rams logo still looks like a Rams logo whether they’re in St Louis or LA, and the jolly roger of the Raiders has dropped its anchor in LA and Oakland and Las Vegas. Perhaps removing St George and Illawarra from our logo and shifting permanently to Nevada might finally get us an invite to the Las Vegas event.

oakland_raiders_helmet_logo_by_stupidbear190rises_dftd844-fullview.png

Another apparent reason for “streamlining” the club’s crest: digital platforms! You can’t have busy emblems on Instagram I suppose, perhaps it becomes indecipherable above those inane training montages that we post every Tuesday. Never mind that the 9 of the 10 most-followed clubs on Instagram are European soccer clubs – with the number one spot held by Real Madrid who have had essentially the same emblem since 1941. Speaking of soccer, the most watched sports league in the world is (surprisingly not the NFL who we are trying to mimic) the English premier League. The current leader of that league has a logo that looks like this:

Manchester_City_FC_badge.svg

I dunno, maybe old fashioned club crests are fine in that league? Because the clubs in that league are linked to traditional geographic towns and regions, creating a historic connection through the generations? Crazy stuff. Of course those “clubs” are really multi-million dollar shelf companies owned by billionaires with players from anywhere but those home towns living in obscene wealth in gated communities … but nevertheless... my point stands.

Yes we’ve had this logo since only 1978, but from a design perspective it was a progression from the original emblem from the 1950s, rather than a radical re-design. It was a club crest. I maintain that we are a football club with a crest. Not a franchise with a logo. Hopefully we keep it that way.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

9b301e3e5217e1dd6e9aa34d97effd2a
I’d change it to the modernised one that’s on every other bit of Dragons gear.
Time to change it

Jubilee

Juniors
Isn’t the updated Harley Davidson logo for their electric bikes, and the petrol versions keep the existing one?
I had a look around but I coildn't find anything that says that. All I know is that getting a HD tattoo should be a much faster process now.

Latest posts