What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doust Retires at end of 2018 season

Old Timer

Coach
Despite the "shock decision" surely this is not unexpected news and our BOD should already have a short list prepared (in addition to the old boys of course).
We should be able to immediately call for EOI's for the role, get the interviews done reasonably quickly and have a 4-6 month transition and get Doust out the door before season end.
After all, if he was forced to resign for any other reason we would embark on this process asap.
Heaven forbid if he goes to the end of the year, then they start the process and he hangs on in transition for another 6 months into next year.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I saw it on the Sydney morning Herald and nearly dropped my bourbon. Raced over here to confirm it.
This has made my day, my week, my month and the whole F......... Year.
One down. One to go.

Fellow bourbon drinker, eh?
Always held you in high regard, mate.

Funny thing is, l stopped drinking bourbon six months ago to get off the coke.
Now, a G & T man.
Easy transformation.

Hopefully, our next CEO can equally adjust.

Carlton

Juniors
Agree but we need a clean out at board level to.
Otherwise we will just get another old boy

Thats exactly right, Doust wasn't on his lonesome while all the crap has been happening over the years. He had a lot of people internally supporting him, actively agreeing with him and helping him.

The one thing I am really worried about is the total transition of the club to Illawarra.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Thanks one down!
Next is Mary and other other directors

Could be a domino effect coming
He looked stressed out last year.
Mary won't last 6 rounds with a new outside CEO
Would be nice to think he finally listened to the fans, and also had the sense to gift us Mc Knucklehead's head as a parting gesture!

Smack

Coach
Fellow bourbon drinker, eh?
Always held you in high regard, mate.

Funny thing is, l stopped drinking bourbon six months ago to get off the coke.
Now, a G & T man.
Easy transformation.

Hopefully, our next CEO can equally adjust.

I stopped drinking a while back, but it was single malt, neat. I stopped drinking soft drink maybe 10 years ago, never felt better.

Nothing beats a single malt in the cold of winter :)

BennyV

Referee
I saw it on the Sydney morning Herald and nearly dropped my bourbon. Raced over here to confirm it.
This has made my day, my week, my month and the whole F......... Year.
One down. One to go.
Wrong. In order for actual change to take place there's much more than 'one to go'. There's a boardroom full of incompetency that needs to go, otherwise the next CEO will be more of the same.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Thats exactly right, Doust wasn't on his lonesome while all the crap has been happening over the years. He had a lot of people internally supporting him, actively agreeing with him and helping him.

The one thing I am really worried about is the total transition of the club to Illawarra.

Let's pile on the bile and he might ask for an immediate release!
We could all chip in and buy one way tickets to Toronto for them

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Ever since Johnston came back as Chairman early in 2017, my suspicions were raised as to big movements within the club.

Doust pulling the pin is just the beginning in my opinion. I feel like within the next 4-6 months, we will see the privatisation of our club. A buyer will come forward, whether that is Bruce Gordon or not, and purchase the club. I think this may have been one of the main reasons for Doust's retirement, he foresaw that whoever bought the club would most likely want a clean-out, particularly if it was Gordon, and Doust wanted to go out on his own terms.
We've also learnt from members within this forum privy to inside information that the search for a new CEO will be an independent search for somebody outside the club.

Another suspicion of mine was raised was when the club chose not to take the money that was being offered by the Government to build a Centre of Excellence. This leads me to believe that we have a buyer on the cards who will take the club in a different direction financially, with a more advanced vision for new facilities.

I think we're going to see a complete overhaul of our senior management, as well as a buyer revealing themselves. I also believe that a new coach may be on the cards.

The dominoes are starting to fall, friends!! Exciting times.

Last edited:

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Ever since Johnston came back as Chairman early in 2017, my suspicions were raised as to big movements within the club.

Doust pulling the pin is just the beginning in my opinion. I feel like within the next 4-6 months, we will see the privatisation of our club. A buyer will come forward, whether that is Bruce Gordon or not, and purchase the club. I think this may have been one of the main reasons for Doust's retirement, he foresaw that whoever bought the club would most likely want a clean-out, particularly if it was Gordon, and Doust wanted to go out on his own terms.
We've also learnt from members within this forum privy to inside information that the search for a new CEO will be an independent search for somebody outside the club.

Another suspicion that was raised was when the club chose not to take the money that was being offered by the Government to build a Centre of Excellence. This leads me to believe that we have a buyer on the cards who will take the club in a different direction financially, with a more advanced vision for new facilities.

I think we're going to see a complete overhaul of our senior management, as well as a buyer revealing themselves. I also believe that a new coach may be on the cards.

fingers crossed your right.

getsmarty

Immortal
2016_dragons_shield_modern.jpeg

CLUB NEWS

CEO to retire at season's end
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 1 Feb 2018, 03:30 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have today advised that Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust has made the decision to retire from his role at the end of the 2018 season, enabling the club to determine and implement an appropriate succession plan.

After 18 years in the role, Doust made the decision over the Christmas holiday break and informed Chairman Brian Johnston of his decision in recent weeks.

"I have, and will continue, to thoroughly enjoy my time in the role," Doust said. "I feel very fortunate and privileged to have been afforded the opportunity to be the CEO of the Dragons and to have had a career in rugby league.

"I made the decision over the holiday break, in consultation with my family, and I wanted to give Brian appropriate notice to allow he and the Board, the opportunity to plan for the future.

"Essentially after 25 years in health care and 18 years in rugby league, I am at the stage in my life where I would like the time to pursue other interests. Rugby league by its very nature, never stops.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the role, and am extremely passionate about the Club and remain focused on its objectives before I finish-up. However, I don’t believe that now is the time to reflect on my time at the Dragons.

Dragons Chairman Brian Johnston paid tribute to Doust and outlined the preliminary plans for the future.

"I have the highest respect for Peter, his passion, dedication and leadership have been first class," Johnston said.

"His loyalty to the club, the staff and players has always been unwavering and we are very fortunate to have had him leading our club as CEO.

"Rugby league is a very challenging and dynamic environment and he deserves enormous credit for his leadership, trust and resilience," Johnston added.

"He has always ensured the Dragons interests were heard and considered at every level of the game and we are grateful that he has given the Board appropriate time to consider a replacement and assist with any transition.

"The Board will consider and discuss the recruitment process at the next meeting in late February and will advise accordingly."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/01/ceo-to-retire-at-seasons-end/

Maxwell

Juniors
CRAIG YOUNG AND SON duel CEO'S hahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!! Now you couldn't get a better pair of old boys club people . Not much good but who cares.