What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragging us backwards. Two players notably not singing the Australian NATIONAL Anthem.

ASITIS

Juniors
Two players notably not singing the Australian National Anthem. Good to see coach BIG Mal proudly singing along . Imagine if a couple of the Samoan boys didn’t participate in the Hakka .
Happy to pull on the green and and gold but when it comes to the anthem some go cold .
I genuinely think the solution might be found across the ditch …I love the way the NEW ZEALAND Anthem is sung first in Maori and then in English. I reckon this is the United way forward . Great game Rugby League, has the power to unite many people and install a sense of pride in all of us . Well done to Western Samoa and of course our mighty Kangaroos.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
As a student in NSW public primary schools, every morning, the Lords prayer and then the National athem. I am all out will, never do that again. I love that very few know the second verse, so Australian.

I did notice some of the Samoan fellas were not snging thier athem.

I would hate to sing the kiwi one, "God defend NZ", yeah would not be sining that shyte. I have no idea what they say when singing in Maori, which part is "God defend NZ"?

I always assumed it said "f**k off you white thieves" NZ belongs to the Maori.

Advance Australia Fair, maybe one day, not even close yet.

Matua

Bench
As a student in NSW public primary schools, every morning, the Lords prayer and then the National athem. I am all out will, never do that again. I love that very few know the second verse, so Australian.

I would hate to sing the kiwi one, "God defend NZ", yeah would not be sining that shyte. I have no idea what they say when singing in Maori, which part is "God defend NZ"?

It's not a direct translation, the God defend NZ is split between the first line (E Ihowa Atua) and the last (Manaakitia mai Aotearoa). The NZ one sucks to sing because it's an awful song in English but probably better in Maori.

Personally I don't care about anthems. I go make a coffee or food when they're on.

ASITIS

Juniors

As a student in NSW public schools, the first words uttered each morning were paying respects to the Aboriginal elders, past and present .

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
As a student in NSW public schools, the first words uttered each morning were paying respects to the Aboriginal elders, past and present .
He cool, new brainwashing for a new generation. That will fix it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's not a direct translation, the God defend NZ is split between the first line (E Ihowa Atua) and the last (Manaakitia mai Aotearoa). The NZ one sucks to sing because it's an awful song in English but probably better in Maori.

Personally I don't care about anthems. I go make a coffee or food when they're on.
Interesting to hear the perspective of a NZer on this. I always enjoyed the NZ, English, Italian, French and Samoan national anthems.

RedVee_8

Juniors
I noticed that they didn’t sing it too, as they were the only ones not to sing it.

TBH I don’t think we can expect all players to sing it all the time. Some just don’t like to sing others have their other reasons.

My line is if you don’t sing it at least stand there respectfully. I think that was achieved (maybe just barely by the Fox as he stood there scowling). The Trell just looked bored/distracted.

Matua

Bench
Interesting to hear the perspective of a NZer on this. I always enjoyed the NZ, English, Italian, French and Samoan national anthems.
I don't think many NZers like our anthem, and it was probably more disliked before we started the bilingual version. NZ is probably one of the least religious countries in the world and have an anthem that begins with God. 🤣