What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons 2014 draw - Home ground discussion

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That's great possm, I hope we get a chnace to meet up at Kogarah sometime in 2014.

gypsy

Bench
I do agree with possm there, pretty small renovations in the scheme of things, hardly something to get excited about. Even the 'artist prediction' images just look like any other leagues club in any other town/city/suburb.

The food does sound nice, although a restaurant/business reviewing its own product would generally make it seem that way.

RedVee

First Grade
Because ......?

Possm,
last time we went through the process our returning or staying at Jubilee a Club representative stated that the Leagues Club does not see our games days at Jubilee as a positive. They get a lot of complaints from regulars that we take all the parking spots and make the place more crowded than they'd like. I assume we don't put enough $ through the pokies to make up for the agro, those that do put the money through are discouraged to attend because of said inconveniences.
I'd never considered that, I admit, but it is all arse about in my mind anyway. :)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Possm,
last time we went through the process our returning or staying at Jubilee a Club representative stated that the Leagues Club does not see our games days at Jubilee as a positive. They get a lot of complaints from regulars that we take all the parking spots and make the place more crowded than they'd like. I assume we don't put enough $ through the pokies to make up for the agro, those that do put the money through are discouraged to attend because of said inconveniences.
I'd never considered that, I admit, but it is all arse about in my mind anyway. :)
The regulars who put their pension and pay cheques through the pokies are the ones complaining? Rhetorical question btw.

I don't think it's that simple, but it is an interesting point.

I do know that whenever there is a challenge against the club board, the incumbents rely on the votes of the 'regulars'. Running against the club board is very, very complicated. It's a hard nut to crack given the systems in place, but I think it can be done over time.

In any case, the point raised by you possibly reveals the core reason why the club finds itself in this position.

FlameThrower

Bench
Originally Posted by RedVee
Possm,

++++

Will simple maths and numbers would suggest that taking 2 games from Jubilee , would impact them further with ppl having meal or drink before or after the games now dropping off further?

Beyond belief how this Club has bottomed out on and off the field in 3 years, and sorry looking at the 2014 draw, we are yesterday's heroes living on the 11 in a row glory days, stuck in the past and with stale ideas, entrenched board members and marketing ppl who think a key ring and 1 sticker, a cap and cooler are great membership pack inclusions. Go read the Dragons Facebook page, it's outright keyboard up-rising right now... Just when you thought it could not get any worse....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
They get a lot of complaints from regulars that we take all the parking spots and make the place more crowded than they'd like.
I forgot to add...

This is like removing a food dish from the menu because it is too popular.

RedVee

First Grade
I forgot to add...

This is like removing a food dish from the menu because it is too popular.

Imagine if they'd fixed the auditorium, we could all meet there and leave space for the grey rinse set.

Wouldn't help the parking though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It reminds a little of those pubs that have the TAB in the main bar, sometimes you can't buy a beer because the punters always get served ahead of everyone else. To not do so would see punters yelling abuse because they missed out on getting their bets on. Now imagine a beer drinker carrying on and stamping his fist because the service was too slow. Firstly, you'd pick him as an alcoholic with a serious addiction, and someone who probably needs professional help. And secondly, he wouldn't get away with it for long and security would most likely throw him out. But the gamblers get priority and the staff are in fear of upsetting them. It's not long before the social drinkers avoid the place and the bar becomes barren.

The parking thing is an odd complaint. You can't park in the Leagues Club carpark unless you're a member of the club. So the pokie members can hardly complain. Besides, they get the whole carpark to themselves on all the non-game days - over 350 days per year. Believe it or not, there are members of the Leagues Club who actually watch Rugby League. And on those few game days every year, the club does a roaring trade. And yet, the club, it seems, would rather side with the selfish malcontents.

So their argument doesn't make any sense at all. But we are dealing with people who have an addiction (both the gamblers and the reciepients of gambling revenue) and that doesn't lend itself at all to commonsense or logic.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Before Origin 3 Saints Play the Storm which means they will have the big 3 out. Is that right because then Saints get the bye after SOO3. Saints will also have players out but the halves of Widdop/Williams/Kyle will be there (if none are injured) which is great news.

After last season no game is easy especially whilst Price is there. Saints first 4 games are definately winable so I am sure that will be all Price needs to aim for to win so he can get another 12 months (proably more knowing our luck). Knowing the board he probably only needs to win 2 of those and they will be re-signing him.

RedVee

First Grade
It reminds a little of those pubs that have the TAB in the main bar, sometimes you can't buy a beer because the punters always get served ahead of everyone else. To not do so would see punters yelling abuse because they missed out on getting their bets on. Now imagine a beer drinker carrying on and stamping his fist because the service was too slow. Firstly, you'd pick him as an alcoholic with a serious addiction, and someone who probably needs professional help. And secondly, he wouldn't get away with it for long and security would most likely throw him out. But the gamblers get priority and the staff are in fear of upsetting them. It's not long before the social drinkers avoid the place and the bar becomes barren.

The parking thing is an odd complaint. You can't park in the Leagues Club carpark unless you're a member of the club. So the pokie members can hardly complain. Besides, they get the whole carpark to themselves on all the non-game days - over 350 days per year. Believe it or not, there are members of the Leagues Club who actually watch Rugby League. And on those few game days every year, the club does a roaring trade. And yet, the club, it seems, would rather side with the selfish malcontents.

So their argument doesn't make any sense at all. But we are dealing with people who have an addiction (both the gamblers and the reciepients of gambling revenue) and that doesn't lend itself at all to commonsense or logic.

I agree with you, but To be fair it was a few years ago and we got back to Jubilee - I'm just thinking that the base thought processes may not (would not) have changed...

I'm a 25+ year member that lives approx 50 Kim's from the club, so I get there max of say 10 times a year 6 games plus a couple of other times. Shit, 4 games!!
Anyway, I never get to park in the club car park on game days... So does that count for anything?

Sticks2

Juniors
Only scratching the surface. I doubt it will make much difference to the profitability of the Club. A very small minded project indeed.

My post was just my personal opinion. I believe to turn things around at the Club, there would need to be 'big events' on a consistent basis. Just can't see a bar and a lounge dong the trick.

It used to be called putting lipstick on a pig!