What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons announce signing of Allgood & Nicholls

dragonssamy61

First Grade
With the absence of the signing of a first grade backline player (very surprising) I expect at least 1-2 of the players highlighted to feature in first grade this year.. Otherwise it doesn't make sense being part of a 30man NRL squad..

St George Illawarra Dragons 2018 squad:

1. Leeson Ah Mau
  2. Euan Aitken
  3. Mitchell Allgood
  4. Jack de Belin
  5. Matt Dufty
  6. Jai Field
  7. Tyson Frizell
  8. Reuben Garrick
  9. James Graham
  10. Patrick Herbert
  11. Ben Hunt
  12. Jacob Host
  13. Josh Kerr
  14. Tim Lafai
  15. Jeremy Latimore
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. Luciano Leilua
  18. Zac Lomax
  19. Nene Macdonald
  20. Kurt Mann
  21. Cameron McInnes
  22. Darren Nicholls
  23. Jason Nightingale
  24. Jordan Pereira
  25. Reece Robson
  26. Hame Sele
  27. Tariq Sims
  28. Joel Thompson
  29. Paul Vaughan
  30. Gareth Widdop
I don't think Lomax will be ready this year...

Mickey
Agree
I think that herbert is ready .

Garrick is quick and much stronger in defence.
He is almost ready for a chance.
Pereira is surprisingly quick and is also ready.

TruSaint

Referee
Mickey
Agree
I think that herbert is ready .

Garrick is quick and much stronger in defence.
He is almost ready for a chance.
Pereira is surprisingly quick and is also ready.

Maybe between Garrick / Herbert and co, we can unearth a winner...

Given a chance, and in all likelihood, they will ( with injuries etc ), I would like to see how these guy go in 1st grade. Anyway, here's hoping.

j0nesy

Bench
I think Allgood is a decent signing, always rated him. good backup. We have a decent squad next season, top 6 no excuses. Still missing a quick winger as others have pointed out. My tip is for Garrick to step up.

redVbull

Juniors
don't see the need for Nicholls signing myself. Seems a bit of an NRL journeyman ... 28 and yet to crack FG at 4 other clubs.

We don't need a support half to assist Jai Field... he is more than capable of stepping in the Hunt's shoes anytime.

What we need is a club that has the balls to fast track its young, x-factor talent like Field into 1st grade ... the way we've seen it done at other NRL clubs with the likes of Ben Barba, Mitch Moses, and of course Jack Bird ... to name a few.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
From what Millward did signing Vaughan I don’t think this bloke will be a dud. Bet you he has great leg drive.
How much leg drive does a depth signing have to have?
If he only plays reggies I don't give a shit but if he plays 1sts ahead of all our own local talent then he was never a depth signing he is an NRL signing and if that is the case hard to fathom.

Drakon

Juniors
don't see the need for Allgood signing myself. Seems a bit of an NRL journeyman ... 28 and yet to crack FG at 4 other clubs.

We don't need a support half to assist Jai Field... he is more than capable of stepping in the Hunt's shoes anytime.

What we need is a club that has the balls to fast track its young, x-factor talent like Field into 1st grade ... the way we've seen it done at other NRL clubs with the likes of Ben Barba, Mitch Moses, and of course Jack Bird ... to name a few.
Respectfully, incorrect my friend regarding Allgood. He played 70 first grade games for Parra and about 40 I think in the ESL.

redVbull

Juniors
Respectfully, incorrect my friend regarding Allgood. He played 70 first grade games for Parra and about 40 I think in the ESL.

thanks for pointing that out ... I put Allgood by mistake, but was talking about Nicholls. Will edit.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Looks like our best Roster since 2010. Great mix of talented youth and a solid first grade squad. Maybe just short 1 or 2 speedsters.
Looking forward to 2018 NRL kickoff.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Given that Allgood and Latimore have been signed only for 2018 we may been in the running to sign Walmsley from 2019 when he comes off contract. We need to focus on quality props and speedy, elusive backs.

possm

Coach
It seems our Club is satisfied with buying average players who we HOPE will do good in 2018 while the Roosters, Storm and Broncos buy players they KNOW will do the job. A good recruitment officer can get the job done when the going is tough. An average one signs the easy target and hopes it will come off.

We got rid of a lot of below average players at the end of last season. None of the players let go were worth keeping. This gives us the opportunity of giving some of our quick young backs a chance to make their way to first grade - that's all OK. And yes we now have cover for fullback, halves and centre however, Macdonald and Nightingale were kept all year in first grade last season and I can't see Mary changing his stripes. As for the forwards, Graham is a great replacement for Packer but wouldn't have been great if we could have kept both or picked up Wansley who is a TOP first grade prop. His contract is not up until the end of 2018 so maybe then we will pick him up or if Thompson goes to Manly, it will mean we still have one spot to fill in our top 30? I also would have preferred to see Macdonald on his way. For me he just does not cut it.

So we let go Packer 350k and replaced him with Graham 450k. Let go Dugan 700k and replaced him with ......?

Carlton

Juniors
I thought Millward was doing a good job on recruitment but if that's it its all done I am extremely disappointed.

I cant believe we don't have cap space available and we have only really signed Hunt and Graham and, Graham we got for a reduced amount of cap.

Sure give our juniors a go but its one thing to blood one because the situation allows it to blooding several just on the off chance they will come good. We are talking first grade we need to know that the players there can perform. Our problem is a strike back and we are still tap dancing while clubs supposedly under cap pressure are fixing their rosters.

I am hoping that there is still something going on in the background because if there isn't I think we have missed an opportunity and it looks like we are by passing 2018 and trying to finalise a roster for 2019. Remember Dufty, McInnes, Au Mau, Thompson plus those juniors we want to see come through are not signed past 2018 at this stage. Latimore, Kerr, Allgood are also on one year deals.

_Johnsy

Referee
Man management and game plan.
The squad itself is competitive. Agree, i am quietly optimistic.
Anything other than a top 8 (possibly top 6) finish to the season is a massive fail, and surely must be the final nail in Mary's coffin.

How many nails thus far, coupla hundred?

Dracarys

Juniors
160apap.jpg

The more I see that jersey the more it looks like the $20 best & less knock-off

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Some debate as to wether we have exhausted our cap space. I'd say we probably haven't and that leads to why and do we have a plan to purchase some top line player.
My opinion and some may fall off their chairs here, is that Millward has been very clever in managing our cap this year. Yes I think we have some spare $$, however I think having spare gives us coverage for 2018 for upgrades etc.
Example, say Dufty (who is off contract in 2018) has a blinding start, we would have $$ to upgrade his contract and secure him at the Dragons. If say the Roosters came knocking before June 30 we then have funds to counter and even trump them. Without having a spare pool we are in peril of loosing out again.
This is how I believe it has transpired and with the addition of some cheap experienced players they can also earn an upgrade based on their performances.

Latest posts