What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons are the most boring team I have ever seen play

Kelly Patrol

Juniors
Should the Dragons win they would be doing so with the most ordinary of halves/hooker.

Young is not and never will be a class hooker, he has no brains, poor passing and sh*t running out of dummy half.

Hornby is also not a halfback, a utility at best, poor decision making , poor kicking and poor organising are his positives.

Soward is ok but goes missing too much.

Lesser coaches wouldnt hvae got the Dragons this far, imo.

_Johnsy

Referee
Anyone who thought last night's game was boring knows nothing about rugby league. Tough defence, excellent attack and tension for 80 minutes. Quality from both teams.

This x 10,000

Personally i'd prefer a tense battle for 80 minutes with a one point margin compared to say a scoreline 46 - 40. If you want to see massive scorelines with an emphasis on attack only. Piss off and watch some oztag instead.

IMO this game has the potential to be the best GF we have had for some time.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Anyone who thought last night's game was boring knows nothing about rugby league. Tough defence, excellent attack and tension for 80 minutes. Quality from both teams.

Agreed, would have been a worthy GF IMO, no disrespect to the Roosters of course.

adamkungl

Immortal
Dragons were rightly bagged for their boring performance against Manly 2 weeks back, but they weren't negative last night. Very entertaining game

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The Dragons rely on piggy back penalties or opposition errors to get up the other end to post the points. That is the criticism. They are the team that play for the penalty the most and they get more than any other side. Ben Hornby and Dean Young haven't put their hands down all year. And what about the complaining when the Tigers finally got a penalty. They know the referees respond to the pressure that they put them under.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The Dragons rely on piggy back penalties or opposition errors to get up the other end to post the points. That is the criticism. They are the team that play for the penalty the most and they get more than any other side. Ben Hornby and Dean Young haven't put their hands down all year. And what about the complaining when the Tigers finally got a penalty. They know the referees respond to the pressure that they put them under.

To be fair that hit on Lui has been happening all season to no penalty, then the exact same thing happened to Fien to unpenalized. The ref's should have blown alot more penalties in that game to both sides, and shouldn't have penalized some of the things they did. The ref's ruined the game by keeping a terrible 10 and letting players lay all over them in the tackles.

But so what if we play a disciplined game and get easy meters with penalties? Shouldn't the onus be on the other side not to fall into that trap? We're very effective at taking of advantage of penalties, they should be aware of that.

veintitres

Juniors
Is there something I am missing, some don't like the style of play by the Dragons? If you're in to winning rugby league games, I am not sure how you don't sit back and appreciate the Bennett way of achieving success on a rugby league field.

league

Juniors

What are you talking about? the Dragons didn't get a single second half penalty yet won the half 7-0. They broke the line more than the "entertaining Tigers" they could have had a few more tries if not for some desperation defence and that bullsh*t forward pass call from Boyd to Morris. Saints have just won a grand final qualifier in the most courageous of circumstances yet you still find some bullsh*t to criticise them about? give me a break. Numpty.

boxhead

First Grade
To be fair that hit on Lui has been happening all season to no penalty, then the exact same thing happened to Fien to unpenalized. The ref's should have blown alot more penalties in that game to both sides, and shouldn't have penalized some of the things they did. The ref's ruined the game by keeping a terrible 10 and letting players lay all over them in the tackles.

But so what if we play a disciplined game and get easy meters with penalties? Shouldn't the onus be on the other side not to fall into that trap? We're very effective at taking of advantage of penalties, they should be aware of that.

Yes I agree, I also think however that the Dragons forwards know their roles so well and are coached so well that they bring great success, even without being any great talents....it is the confidence and knowledge of their role that makes them so successful.

Is there something I am missing, some don't like the style of play by the Dragons? If you're in to winning rugby league games, I am not sure how you don't sit back and appreciate the Bennett way of achieving success on a rugby league field.

Exactly, in fact the way I see it is that the Dragons play that classic style of percentage football, where they use proper tactics and a great structure to win games; they are far different to other teams that just attack attack attack with little structure or use set-plays and so on....the thing you notice about the Dragons is their set play orchestrated by Boyd for Morris, it is picture perfect because they all know what they have to do. To me personally, I find the Dragons quite entertaining because they play proper percentage football.

Saints don't have a Marshall, Farrah, Carney, Hayne type player in their squad

from 1-17 at the start of this season there wasn't (and some would argue still isn't) a superstar in that squad.

Bennett has them playing a style that suits the talent he has, it's testimony to his skill that he has gotten this squad to perform as a unit and as well as they have.

Yet many pillocks on here take every opportunity to slam them for not having the so called moments of genius and brilliance

you play with what you've got and shouldn't be lambasted for doing so.

100% agree, the Dragons players and Bennett all deserve massive wraps; they effectively don't even have a strike weapon player or a star talent (Boyd and Soward are great though for what they do) but yet they still do so well because Bennett instils so much confidence and a great structure into a team that knows its strengths and weaknesses.....

As an Eels fan, I can only look on the Dragons and applaud; they do it without any great talents in their team, and they do it because they have the confidence and structure they need.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
The Dragons rely on piggy back penalties or opposition errors to get up the other end to post the points. That is the criticism.
After about 25 minutes, the penalty count was 5-0 to the Dragons. How many points did the Dragons score? 0.

For the next 55 minutes, the penalty count was 4-0 to the Tigers. How many points did the Dragons score? 13.

People get the seed of an idea planted into their heads, and simply are never able to let it go.

Eels Dude

Coach
So you want to instigate another Dragons hate thread. Ok I'll join in. I find the Dragons boring.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I prefer the Dragons brand of grinding football to that of the Storms. It isn't AS dirty and the Dragons aren't millions over the cap so if a side can get on top of them they don't have the superstars to necessarily pull it out of their arse.

There is nothing wrong with grinding football like last night. Last night was a great game. I think the Tigers were open on the edges but the Dragons stuck to their game plan and came away the winner. What people are right to complain about is negative football like how they played against Manly IMO. I don't mind the style the Dragons play, I just don't want to see negative football. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

Latest posts