What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons coaching rumours, the saga continues...

neddie

Juniors
g'day willow.....I was just wondering if indeed it was split 'along party lines'. Remember that article in the Sun Herald recently when Lockwood stood behind the coach?
The JV is a few years old now, I would be disappointed if there was any parochialism. Save that for the pages of the local newspaper, tv and radio, eh.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sorry Kelly Gang. That was just something I read as a news item.

Anyway folks, Its official (has been for hours but work intervened)....

Farrar's gone.
Brown is in.

From 'Eye on Saints':
St George Illawarra have announced at a press conference this morning that Andrew Farrar has been released from the final year of his contract and will not be head coach in 2003. Current Jersey Flegg coach Nathan Brown has been offered the position and has accepted. The decision was made last night in a marathon four hour board meeting though the club had held off announcing their decision until the 11am press conference they scheduled for this morning.
The appointment of Brown as head coach caps a meteoric rise for the popular former Dragons hooker who had his playing career tragically cut short through a genetic spinal defect detected in routine x-rays after suffering an injury in a trial against the Bulldogs early in 2001.
Since his retirement, Brown has remained with the Dragons in a coaching capacity and took the Jersey Flegg reigns in 2002 with considerable success. He has also spent time with the Country Origin and NSW Origin squads and is rated by many as having tremendous potential.
Laurie Daley has been appointed as a consultant to Nathan Brown. Further announcements that David Barnhill and another former St George player in Jeff Hardy will be appointed to the coaching staff are expected to follow shortly. The future of current First Division coach Michael Potter, long time assistant Max Ninness and others remains unclear at this stage.
Reports of a player backlash appear to be unfounded with Dragons captain Trent Barrett declaring he will happily abide by the club's decision and Brown will have the full support of the players.
The decision ends Andrew Farrar's involvement with the St George Illawarra club which began in the merger's inaugral season of 1999. Back then, he was assistant coach to David Waite. Farrar was appointed as head coach in 2001 ahead of David Waite and Brian Johnson.
He was controversially resigned to an extended deal amidst a four game losing streak early in 2001 and this proved to be an indication of what was to follow with the Saints failing to consistently fire under his leadership. It's believed that the Dragons had to pay $250,000 to release Farrar from the final year of his deal.

imported_weasel

Juniors
Hmm... do you think this is a good appointment? Browny never really struck me as the coaching type, and he's rather young too isn't he? I wouldn't of thought he was even thirty yet?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
With respect to Andrew Farrar, things couldnt realistically continue on. Something had to be done.

Brown has worked wonders with the JF side and actually looks as keen as mustard. Although I accept that this is a huge leap.

From the comfort of my arm chair, it seemed that Farrar was lacking in enthuiasm.
It's a young first grade side and a lot of these players thrive on inspiration. Just my opinion but I think Brown will turn things around nicely.

imported_midas

Juniors
Nathan Brown seems a hell of a risk to me.Stuart is at least 6 years older and with a much higher standing in the game and Hagan is also at least 8 years older and with more experience coming into the job.One can only assume that the hierarchy at St George-Illawarra know what they are doing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol.. I wouldnt assume that much midas.
On the surface it sounds risky but Nathan Brown has always attracted respect because he reads the game well and loves his job.
IMO, he's damn good value but it remains to be seen if the gamble will pay off.

Keep in mind that Daley will be there...you can't buy the combination of Daley and Brown when it comes to passion... well I guess in this case you can buy it. ;)

Plus there's talk of Jeff Hardy and David Barnhill joining the coaching staff.

El Duque

Bench
One (?) year as Flegg coach and then straight to 1st grade?

Wasn't entirely Farrars fault you didn't finish higher than 7th.Suspensions,retirements,injuries and the rest.It's not like you missed the 8 or anything and the players(well Barrett)seemed happy under him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
October 9, 2002
MEDIA RELEASE
DRAGONS TO MOVE IN NEW DIRECTION WITH COACHING CHANGES

The St George Illawarra Dragons today announced changes to their coaching structure for the 2003 Telstra Premiership season, taking the club in a new direction.
The Dragons Board of Directors voted unanimously at a special meeting yesterday to appoint former Dragons hooker Nathan Brown as Head Coach.

Brown will be supported by former Dragons forward David Barnhill as Assistant Coach, and former Australian captain Laurie Daley, who has been appointed as a Consultant in Coaching.

The new coaching structure will be in place when the Dragons players return to training early next month.

Dragons Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust said that the Board made the decision after the completion of the club's football performance review for 2002.
"Firstly I would like to thank Andrew Farrar for his efforts and commitment to both the Illawarra Steelers and St George Illawarra Dragons over the past six years," Doust said.

"Andrew is a very dedicated individual and has helped in the development of many of our current players and we wish him well for the future.

"However the Board unanimously agreed that the quality of our new coaching staff would certainly deliver a change in direction.

"We believe the new structure will provide the platform for an innovative playing style that will generate the next level of success that the Dragons are looking for."

Brown, 29, will become the youngest NRL head coach in the game's history, but Doust has no doubt he is ready for the challenge.

"Nathan is very experienced within the game and has demonstrated an outstanding application to coaching, taking our Jersey Flegg team to the minor premiership and grand final this season," Doust said.

"He has a healthy knowledge and respect for both our senior and younger players and an innovative approach to coaching which he has enhanced through his association with both the Country Origin and State of Origin squads in 2002.

"He has two outstanding individuals to support him in David Barnhill and Laurie Daley, who both have excellent records in the game, and who bring their own qualities to the club."

Brown, who played 171 first grade games for St George (1992-98) and St George Illawarra (1999-2001) before ending his playing career prematurely early last year after a neck injury, believes the transition to the head coaching role is an exciting challenge.

"It was always an honour for me to wear the Red V during my playing days and the transition to the head coaching role at this club is a very special opportunity," Brown said.

"I've learnt a lot from the coaches I have played under and been associated with over the years, but I have my own ideas of what we need to do to achieve more success at the Dragons.

"We have some great players here at the Dragons and I'm looking forward to working with them as we prepare for our challenge at the premiership next season."
Barnhill, 33, who played 209 first grade games for Canberra (1989-91), St George (1992-96) and Sydney City (1997-99), returned from a playing stint with Leeds in England (2000) to take a up role as defensive coach with the ACT Brumbies in 2001. He has also played nine State of Origin games for NSW and has taken part in five first grade grand finals, winning with Canberra in1990.

Daley, 32, played 244 first grade games for Canberra (1987-2000) and won three premierships (1989, 1990, 1994). Since retiring he has been heavily involved with working in the media and has been involved in coaching with Brown at State of Origin level in 2002.

"Laurie's role will not interfere with his commitment at Fox Sports and both Laurie and the club appreciate Fox Sport's understanding in this matter," said Doust.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
According to that media release, David Barnhill is going to be there as well.
In his day, Barnhill was an excellent offloader in traffic.

Its unfortuntae that we've lost Justin Smith becuase I'm sure he could have benefitted from having Barnhill's knowledge.

The track record of coaches being successful after being away from the game for a year is daunting, but its only because nobody has been good enough to achieve the goal.
Apparently Brown is held in such high esteem that if he was unsucessful he would have been approached to an assistant coaching position elsewhere which forced the administrations hand to a certain extent.
He still talks of Brian Smith as being the best coach he has played under and with his dealings with Gould and Bennett of late he must have a good shot of bringing new ideas to the club.

imported_ss20

Juniors
Farrar.jpg

D

dubopov

ss20..WHAT A BEAUTY !!! One of the best Posts I've read here..nearly fell off the chair laughing !!