What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons consider Kimmorley

nqboy

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21552021-23214,00.html

ST GEORGE Illawarra is poised to make an audacious bid for in-form Cronulla halfback Brett Kimmorley, in a desperate bid to solve the club's halves dilemma.

Off-contract Kimmorley will meet with Cronulla in coming weeks, but The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Dragons are considering outbidding the Sharks, with Cronulla's offer expected to be in the vicinity of $300,000 a season. The Dragons see the former Test half as the ideal replacement for Trent Barrett after his defection to the English Super League. Negotiations with makeshift five-eighth Ben Hornby have stalled, while injury-prone halfback Matthew Head has been relegated to Premier League for tonight's clash against the Storm.

St George Illawarra CEO Peter Doust last night said he had heard rumours of Kimmorley looking elsewhere and he did not rule out holding talks with the former Test No.7. "We haven't spoken to him, but we are always interested in quality players," said Doust. "Ben Hornby is off-contract and Matthew Head is contracted for another year. Things change but he is not on our radar at the moment."

Kimmorley, 30, said he was open to playing in any jersey including a "red and white one". Kimmorley's manager, George Mimis, admitted his star client would hit the open market if negotiations stalled with the Sharks. "Noddy and I have had many conversations about his future," said Mimis. "He is happy with the way he has started the year and is hoping to resurrect his representative career. There has been a lot of interest in him from overseas already, from the English Super League. We will entertain discussions with the Sharks first and anyone else after that."

Mimis said a move to the Dragons would make sense for Kimmorley. He has recently built a home in the Sutherland Shire with his young family well-entrenched in the area. "It is close to his home so it would fantastic," Mimis said. "We haven't explored it at this stage but will in the future. At the end of the day these guys have short careers and we are chasing the best opportunity. He is happy at the Sharks but if that doesn't eventuate we will explore other opportunities, including the Dragons."

Kimmorley's options last night narrowed with the Roosters pulling out from the race to sign the star playmaker. After re-signing young gun Mitchell Pearce, Roosters CEO Brain Canavan said the club was not interested in Kimmorley. He has previously been linked to the club, with the halfback sharing a close friendship with coach Chris Anderson.

Dragons fans - Surely he's past the point where he's a good investment, particularly at that price. Then again, maybe Browny wants some Woolford-type experience to help with all the kids at the club. Thoughts?

Biscuits

Juniors
out of the frying pan and into a raging hot inferno. honestly if they are in the market for a halfback they could do alot worse than Monaghan. he will start to cosider himself as one again and will come cheaper and perform better than Kimmorley. maly would likely releas him as well.

BWNB

First Grade
I wouldn't mind retaining BK for something like 150-200k a year. It would be very hard for sticky to drop him as he tries he heart out week in week out.

Biscuits

Juniors
Where Eagles Dare said:
Go to bed Ink:p
Wasn't Head being talked up for Origin at the start of the season? Quite a fall, and a fast one at that.
ask the last halfback about thta. What was his name?

ooooh thats right, Firman.

dragonfire

Bench
well if we retain Hornby there will be no need to get another half, Williams is inexperienced but has huge potential and if Head can actually get himself 100% fit we have seen what he is capable of. interesting though

Go Nulla

Bench
Take Noddy you know you want him Dragons. Browny and Noddy a match made in heaven. But again Browny will be sacked soon and won't see out 2007. What about McGregor and Noddy?

Why would they sign noddy ???...he is getting on in his career, has done nothing since he left Storm and Monaghan has a heap more to offer in terms of playing multiple positions.

Noddy is very overated and Dragons will be buying an inconsistent player.

sheet_ed

Juniors
Why would they sign noddy ???...he is getting on in his career, has done nothing since he left Storm and Monaghan has a heap more to offer in terms of playing multiple positions.

Noddy is very overated and Dragons will be buying an inconsistent player.

I Agree with you 100%.

Noddy is a slightly above average halfback that has grown in financial stature by being following Anderson. There is not one team that he has played for that hasn't been glad to see the back of him.

This story is one of those stories leaked by Noddy's manager to prop up his bargaining position. The Sharkies now have a half decent coach but are hamstrung be a egomanical prima dona who won't adjust his style to the coaches requirements.

I think Noddy's value is SIGNIFICANTLY less then 300K he is a 100 - 150K player (2 year deal) and any team that pays more than that deserves the wooden spoon Noddy will deliver to them.

From a PR perspective Noddy is a disaster - he keeps topping the most hated player polls in this forum and I suspect that most people who vote for him as the most hated player are Shark supporters.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Saints problems at the moment are injury and attitude. If neither are in a good way, they won't win games. Simple.

Kimmorley would solve nothing.

In fact, he'd amplify the problem.

nqboy

First Grade
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...e-with-anderson/2007/04/14/1175971424031.html

Kimmorley denies swap rumours

CRONULLA halfback Brett Kimmorley has laughed off rumours of being involved in a player swap with the Roosters, but hasn't ruled out joining the glamour club next year. At the same time, Kimmorley revealed his desire to join the coaching ranks at the end of his career.

The Roosters re-signed teenage half Mitchell Pearce during the week, and Kimmorley could be an ideal mentor to the boom teenager should the Sharks decide not to renew his contract for next season. St George Illawarra, who have yet to settle on a halves combination after Mark Gasnier's injury and Mathew Head's indifferent form, haven't ruled out approaching Kimmorley.

Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart has assured Kimmorley rumours that he wanted to trade him for an unnamed Roosters star were wide of the mark. But the two won't discuss matters again until after Stuart completes his commitments with the Australian Test team this week.

"I spoke to Ricky last week when all the rumours broke out about the player swap," Kimmorley said. "They are all just rumours. I haven't met with any clubs or any coaches, so I can squash all that now."

On the possibility of reuniting with Roosters coach Chris Anderson, who coached him at Melbourne, Cronulla and Test level, Kimmorley said: "He's a great friend and somebody I still talk to regularly. That connection with him will always be there if I go there. If the Roosters were in the ball park, I'd look at it. I'm off contract, so if nothing happens with the Sharks, I'm open to offers from all clubs."

The 30-year-old said he was keen to swap the boots for a clipboard and take up a coaching position after his playing career. "I would love to," he said. "I love helping out people and feel I read the game pretty well. You spend your whole life playing footy and you want to stay around it when you finish. It would certainly age you very quickly. There's a lot of pressure these days from the media, as well - you lose two games and they're into you. As a coach these days you've just got to back your own ability."

Kimmorley said that, much like Stuart, he would want to get into coaching as soon as his playing days were over. "You'd have to stay around footy these days, because the game changes every year," he said. "There's always a new trend so if you were out of it for a little while you'd run the risk of not knowing what is going on." The former representative No.7 said that, as a player, he had been guilty of overcoaching his teammates in the past. However, he had now taken a step back.

Latest posts