What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons consider Stanley brothers’ reunion

hardbaby

Coach
I'd love to have Chase Stanley back. He is really talented and did well at the Dragons playing behing Cooper and Gasnier. He played for NZ when he was 19 (I think) and went great at test level. His stats speak for themselves. Great footballer.

At some point one of our centres will get injured (+ rep duty for Gasnier) and with Kyle likely to play fullback, he would give us heaps of depth. Kyle is also our back up at half and five eight (injury possibilities + Soward to origin maybe) so we do need another back next year. And I stick by my long held belief that Hornby will finish his career at hooker.

Great buy. Get him!!

dragondad

First Grade
If I remember correctly, there was talk of Chase playing as a back rower. He probably has more chance of getting a spot in our squad if they play him there.

Benny

First Grade
Chase played Test Football in his debut season of 2007 and debuted in First Grade as a 17 year old but assume he was 18 by the back end of that season (scored 2 tries I think).

Mr Red

First Grade
no no no no no.....
do people forget why he earnt the nickname "turnstyle".. its because he couldnt tackle..
poor defensive reads, poor defense... i used to tremble every time the opposition ran to his side of the field.
nothing i saw at the storm has changed my mind, and even if he was currently injury free he would not make their starting side..

Collateral

Coach
Its more of a signing to keep the family happy. There is a reason Chase got signed by melbourne and why we rated him so highly.

Much better player than Tagive but injuries have halted his development.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'd much rather sign Naqiama then Chase
As long as he doesn't take his chances behind the wheel in Kogarah. But things change, and I always rated Naiqama. At this point in time we don't need him.

Chase was not a flop imo. He showed plenty of potential when hitting the line. A centre / second row spot awaits him somewhere.

Injuries, and being stuck in Melbourne - can't wish that upon anyone.

Happy to give him a go as long he's only paid at the base. But realistically, we seem to have his position(s) covered.

God-King Dean

Immortal
http://www.dragons.com.au/default.a...title=chase-stanley-to-return-to-club-in-2012

Chase Stanley To Return To Club In 2012

20/04/2011 12:26:59 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons on Wednesday announced that Chase Stanley has agreed to a two-year contract that will see him rejoin the Club next season until at least the end of 2013.

Chase, 21, made his first grade debut for the Dragons in Round 2 of the 2007 season against the Newcastle Knights and played 41 games for the Club between 2007-2009.

The former Hurstville United junior is currently contracted with the Melbourne Storm until season’s end and is looking forward to the possibility of reuniting with brother Kyle, who recently re-signed with the Club for three years.

“There is a really great culture at the Dragons and that family feel is something I have missed,” said Chase.

“Playing alongside Kyle was a big factor in coming to the Club and the opportunity to play alongside him would be special and one I am looking forward to.

“I am very grateful to the Dragons and look forward to the opportunity to repay their faith in me.”

Younger brother Jamie Stanley, 17, has also agreed to terms on a two-year contract that will see the current Dragons’ St George S.G. Ball Cup back-rower remain at the Club until at least 2013.

Dragons CEO Peter Doust is happy with the signing of the Stanley brothers and is assured of the developing role the pair will play for the Club.

“The Stanley family are certainly very talented and we are delighted that the boys have chosen to sign with our Club,” said Doust.

“Playing together is important to them and it is great that as local juniors they will have this opportunity at the NRL level with our Club.

“Chase made his debut with our Club and left for Melbourne where he has continued to develop.

“He will be a valuable part of our squad when he returns next season.”

Godz Illa

Coach
Good news. Love the family club.

I feel a bit sorry for Chase. Spends two years away from the Dragons and we win back-to-back premierships...

Last edited:
Didn't realise he was 21?? so young still, could still develop into a handy player; the fact hes playing with his brother will probably bring the best out of him

RedVDave

First Grade
^ Let's hope so Spart's he played some good footy with us his problem is/was IMO his consistency of lack thereof

On another note just wondering where we are going to play him? Perhaps in the forwards again? As from memory he played a few games there before but only to cover injuries if my memory serves me correctly.

I remember one game in 09 I think it was against the warriors at the gong, he put on an awesome hit in the centre of the field forced an error, prolly his best game for us.

Remember him putting Watmough on his arse with a big fend at Kogarah in 07.
Flashes of brilliance but as an older more mature player could be a good buy

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Yeah, lets not forget he was 17 when he debuted in that god awful season. Played way too much before he was ready physically.

He'll be better for the time away and he's a good purchase in my opinion. You can never have too much depth.