What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon's Den: Peter Doust

jenninga

First Grade
When you really stop and think about it, our club has the most wonderfully squeaky clean image and I think Doust has a lot to do with it. I am not saying I agree with everything he does 100% of the time, but he has upheld the respect and dignity of this club wonderfully in his tenure as CEO.
Mind you he does have one hell of a body armour suit with the sprays he cops sometimes.But credit where it is due,we haven't done any knee jerk decision making since the Bellamy snub and although we have been frustrated through the lack of activity,we can now see the shrewd planning which is finally taking place.

Yeah, I think a lot of supporters want quick fixes, but with the salary cap the way it is today and the enormous amount of recruiting that goes on behind the scenes, the CEO has a very difficult job of balancing it all out. What I mean to say is it may turn out to be that we were better off to let a season or two fall by the wayside and then have a crack when the right players are available, and time our run accordingly. Simply signing anyone and everything with a view of a quick fix just will not work. Patience and smart management will get us another premiership; not panic!

TheRev

Coach
I just want to point out that in my opinion it was the pressure from fans and the 'Oust Doust' movement that has kicked some urgency into Peter Doust, we went from 0 to potentially 4-6 quality signings (2 this year) within the last 2 months, even more amazing considering this is the first time we have really aggressively hit the open market.. like ever.

If it was all completely necessary for the play on Bellamy/Cronk then I can forgive the seemingly lack of management, though I dont accept the 'sudden' retirements of Hornby/Young as part of that excuse.

The only justification for walking into 2013 with Fien at halfback and rejecting Rangi was that they were assuming Cronk would come in 2014, and were assuming Drinkwater/Style would partner him.. but its really hail mary stuff and 2013 we were badly under the cap & we knew Style was injured last season.

Great to hear such a refreshing interview,it sounded like Doust was shooting from the hip and I now have an increased opinion of him.This sort of thing once a month would be fantastic.

Rein is suffering from contract negotiations, trying to hard and a pair of halves that offer little to nothing serious it takes Soward 4 tackles to look even remotely interested and when he does something its a lot of side ways stuff and average kicks.

He's young and still learning his trade all this crap about what he is asking for no one knows its pure speculation the only people that do is the man himself his manager and Doust.

People banking on their hopes on King may be disappointed yes he has talent but he is injury prone this is a glaring fact and until he can string a lot of games together you need options who can play a lot of games that's what Rein brings toughness.

Yes he hasn't played as well as people know he can but when your young and trying to sort out your future it can play on your mind a fair bit and I see that as an issue right now.

redbreed

Juniors
Rein is suffering from contract negotiations, trying to hard and a pair of halves that offer little to nothing serious it takes Soward 4 tackles to look even remotely interested and when he does something its a lot of side ways stuff and average kicks.

He's young and still learning his trade all this crap about what he is asking for no one knows its pure speculation the only people that do is the man himself his manager and Doust.

People banking on their hopes on King may be disappointed yes he has talent but he is injury prone this is a glaring fact and until he can string a lot of games together you need options who can play a lot of games that's what Rein brings toughness.

Yes he hasn't played as well as people know he can but when your young and trying to sort out your future it can play on your mind a fair bit and I see that as an issue right now.

Agree with you on what might be going through his mind at the moment but even though he is a good hooker he is quite predictable and now teams have worked out his strengths he does seem to be less affective and not sure if he has the ability to change his game much. Fien is a better choice at hooker because he has more variety and can probably read the play a bit better. I share the same concerns about king being injury prone but he is still young enough to overcome it hopefully.

We need to be mindful of the salary cap and not go overboard on one player when we have options to cover that position. The cap may be rising but we have a lot of players to resign and they will all be looking for upgrades which could also be at our detriment as other clubs probably don't have as many coming off contract at the same time

The Preacher

First Grade
When you really stop and think about it, our club has the most wonderfully squeaky clean image and I think Doust has a lot to do with it. I am not saying I agree with everything he does 100% of the time, but he has upheld the respect and dignity of this club wonderfully in his tenure as CEO.

That's because most of the off-field antics that go against policy are due to him. Good old Mr. Tired and Emotional.:oops:

Latest posts