What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Extend Captains' Contracts

RedVDave

First Grade
Dragons Extend Captains' Contracts

Wednesday 1 May 2013 11:00 AM

00072471-leadimage.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons have today announced the re-signing of NRL and NYC Captains Ben Creagh and Craig Garvey.
Creagh, 28 has resigned for two years, with the option of a third and Garvey, 20, has signed a two-year contract with both remaining at the club at least until the end of 2015.
Creagh, a local junior from the University of Wollongong club, made his first-grade debut for the Dragons against the New Zealand Warriors in round 22 of the 2003 season and has played 207 NRL games to date.
The representative forward is delighted by the opportunity to remain with his childhood Club as well as continuing to wear the famous Red V jersey.
“I’ve been lucky enough to be given another contract which I’m really happy about,” said Creagh.
“I’m a local junior having played for the Club all my life and I want to finish my career here.
“I am really proud to be the Captain of this famous Club, I love everything associated with it and didn’t want to go anywhere else.
"I am definitely excited knowing that I will be remaining here with the Dragons and in the local area."
Garvey recently represented New South Wales in the Under 20’s State of Origin match against Queensland and is a tough hooker who joined the Dragons High Performance Unit in 2010.
“I’m very excited, I really wanted to stay with the Dragons and it is good to know that I am here for at least the next two years and I am thankful to the Club for the opportunity,” said Garvey.
“I have learnt so much from the coaches and players here and really enjoy the opportunities to learn from the senior guys and know what levels of commitment and professionalism are required to make it to the NRL and that is definitely what I am working towards.”
Dragons CEO Peter Doust is pleased by the re-signing of both team Captains and outlined their importance to the Club.
“Ben has played first grade for 10 seasons, represented the game at all levels and is an outstanding leader whom everyone respects,” said Doust.
“Ben epitomises the modern day sporting role model with his commitment and professionalism to his rugby league, his University studies and small business venture (Smart Fox) aimed at educating youth.
“Ben instigated the ‘Graduates of League' program with the University of Wollongong to increase university entry, retention and completion rates of elite athletes and professional sports people and the results and involvement of rugby league players, not just at the Dragons but also other clubs, is outstanding.
“His dedication and attitude to everything he undertakes is first class and everyone at the Dragons is delighted that he has chosen to finish his career where it started as a one-club man.
“Craig is a rising talent who has developed through our rugby league pathways to be the current Captain of our NYC Team and a key performer in this competition who thoroughly deserved his selection in the NSW Blues U20s this year.
“Craig certainly attracted plenty of interest from other clubs but we see him as playing a key part in our future and are very happy to have secured him for at least the next two seasons”.
Dragons Head Coach Steve Price was equally as delighted with the retention of Creagh and Garvey.
“Ben has been an outstanding individual for our football club since he came into the organisation,” said Price.
“It’s great to have him on board as he’s just an outstanding leader and I cannot say enough good things about him.
“Craig is a talented and exciting player who was outstanding for our NYC team last year and just keeps on improving.
“It is very pleasing for the football club going forward to have retained Craig.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Dragons-Extend-Captains-Contracts/73606

Godz Illa

Coach
Excellent news.

Speculation time: I'm tipping Creagh to shift to the middle next year, probably front row. I expect his new contract reflects that, ie a drop in pay.

On Garvey: great stuff. But creates an interesting twist to the hooker puzzle. It may mean the off-contract Rein is headed elsewhere

jenninga

First Grade
Excellent news.

Speculation time: I'm tipping Creagh to shift to the middle next year, probably front row. I expect his new contract reflects that, ie a drop in pay.

On Garvey: great stuff. But creates an interesting twist to the hooker puzzle. It may mean the off-contract Rein is headed elsewhere
He certainly plays more like a front rower lately in his hitups and with his abilty to offload could be a bonus.
Also with Cook and King we have exciting talent in the hooking dept,shame to possibly see Rein leave,however our options look the goods.

blacksafake

First Grade
Good news,despite some critics on here imo he has been trying his guts out.He was very strong & willing taking the ball up to a big pack against the roosters last week.I think some people still see him as an edge player with an offload but with our lack of ball playing halves i think he has had to change his game to be more direct & up the middle.Very tough player who never lies down.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Great news. Another 1 club player to the list I hope. You gotta give it to Saints we seem to have more players that have played for the 1 club in the last 20 years than most other teams. Credit to the club and the type of players that they have brought up through the ranks.

TheRev

First Grade
- Creagh is great news, we need veteran dragons like this to glue the new guys together.

- Garvey is a really interesting situation, whats the ETA until he would be ready for some 1st grade? He'd be about 19 I guess?

ghostface

Juniors
I think Creagh is best suited as an edge player, we just need a good ball player !

Creagh has slowly lost his effectiveness as an edge back rower. He is not as explosive as he once was and now lacks the lateral movement needed to remain in that position. It would make sense if the club moved him closer to the action. He has one of the best defensive techniques in our team and can easily add starch to the middle third of the field he is also a strong proponent of fast play the balls which will really compliment our lateral block running plays, which have been very average.

Creagh is what the Dragons is all about a classy guy who is well respected and never shirks his responsibilities on and off the field.

Garvey is a real diamond in the rough he had offers to go elsewhere and decided to stay he has talent in spades.

keeping Garvey shows either Rein is leaving which I think he'll stay and that the jury is still out on King who honestly the injuries really are a concern.

Cook is pretty versatile he can play a number of positions and isn't to bad at any of them hell he played on the wing for the Cutters in 2012 and scored over 10 tries.

Mr Red

First Grade
Creagh has slowly lost his effectiveness as an edge back rower. He is not as explosive as he once was and now lacks the lateral movement needed to remain in that position. It would make sense if the club moved him closer to the action. He has one of the best defensive techniques in our team and can easily add starch to the middle third of the field he is also a strong proponent of fast play the balls which will really compliment our lateral block running plays, which have been very average.
+1
good summation.
Creagh is no longer the explosive hole runner he once was and is suited to the middle of the field now. still one of the best defenders in the team.
he is no longer a rep player and thus i expect his new contract would reflect this and give us more space in the salary cap.

redbreed

Juniors
Is this the sign of mass announcement for the Dragons in the following weeks?. Signing both captains from nrl and under 20's. Is the floodgates about to open. Hope so, I'm sick of waiting.

The Enforcer

Juniors
Ben's wide running has always been a great weapon for the team and whilst it's good that he has signed on, I am a little concerned on how effective he is going to be, not if but when he is shifted to the middle.

Mr Red

First Grade
Ben's wide running has always been a great weapon for the team and whilst it's good that he has signed on, I am a little concerned on how effective he is going to be, not if but when he is shifted to the middle.

see above posts regarding strategically moving him to the middle - i think this is the logical approach

The Enforcer

Juniors
see above posts regarding strategically moving him to the middle - i think this is the logical approach

Yeah I know it's the logical approach mate, just wondering how effective he will be. Better than many of the other guys I suppose.

Mr Red

First Grade

possibly..more likely lock which now also plays up the middle like another prop..
would allow Merrin back into the prop rotation where he will be needed especially if Weyman leaves..

TheRev

First Grade
Got to say I feel sorry for Creagh, I feel like we took a talented backrower / centre & former winger, with speed, power, aerial & handling skills, and run him into a brick-wall with little or no attacking game-plan for the last 2 years.

Im not sure if its actual age, or the club/coach that have caused this change... if he moves to Prop, again I think its a waste of talent, but I think he could handle it, hes a champion, but he might need to stack on even more weight?

HDragonsFan

Juniors

Agree 100% with this. In comparison, I thought Joel Thompson was outstanding on the edges against the Cowboys. Extra speed and footwork enabled him to change his line at the last minute and find those holes. Still believe Creagh has a lot to offer in the middle.