What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Final 8 Games 2021

Coffs dragon

Bench
For once I believe the media is right and we’ll struggle to win one game, especially with Norman as our dead weight.

Post Origin is typically our decline period as the burnt out plodders lose their pop gun power game.
Apart from some Dufty & Rava brilliance, we look like a team that never gets past 2nd gear.

hewi

Bench
On lasts night’s effort it’s looking distinctly possible. We are not even close to Manly missing two stars , so really we are in all sorts of bother, and I hate to say it the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.

thebigredv

First Grade
On lasts night’s effort it’s looking distinctly possible. We are not even close to Manly missing two stars , so really we are in all sorts of bother, and I hate to say it the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.
I thought we'd get the win last night. We had enough reasons to, and that's how the game played out, very winnable. So many typical moments where we dig ourselves our own grave as if we love abusing ourself. Just like in so many games we were asleep after the break and the game got away quickly. This is why we lose to bulldogs and beat eels, it's about complacency and want and really good culture. We are still crap.

For what it's worth I now believe we will lose to Titans, drop out of the 8 and remain out from there. They are similar to Manly with fast backs and a particularly strong, skilled, mobile pack. They are just as weak as us mentally but are due a performance.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints last 7 games now will be hard to watch. The pressure is on but the attitude that they have does not fill me with confidence at all. They will lose the winnable ones and be up for the games they "think" they can win and lose them as well only to miss out on finals due to losses to the Dogs, Tigers and a weakened Manly. Oh, and they will lose to the Titans. Fifita will have a field day running out wide. He will score at least 2.

If they can get 5 wins out of the last 7 I will then give them some slight chance of doing something in the finals but I really doubt they will.

Gareth67

First Grade
I am afraid that the Dragons chances of actually winning any more games this season are rather remote .

There was not much to take away from last nights game . As said by so many others , it was a repeat of the same mistake ridden performance as in previous matches throughout this season .

With the exception of Hunt , Sloan and a few forwards the Dragons were simply outshined , outdone and our backs were hammered by the huge Manly backs .

Yesterday when I saw where the media had predicted we would be at seasons end - 11th place I was pretty pussed - off , but unfortunately being a one eyed Dragon supporter does not hide the abundant deficiency’s in our team .

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
I don't think we win enough to make the 8 but that's not what is really bothering me right now. This season we were always going to make up numbers, and depending on what happens in the next two months will determine if we really have begun to turn a corner or not. AT this point we are improvement on mary days but that is cold comfort when there's still so many questions and bbquers.

My major concern is about how little authentic pride in the club we have with the current players. I don't think it is a problem confined only to our club but it's a relatively new phenomena for St George Illawarra. You could say it is symptomatic of the game becoming a brand and commodity, but that doesn't explain why some clubs seem to have a lot of pride about them; players wanting to stay, taking pay cuts, kissing the logo with glee, speaking up their culture type of thing.

More juniors in the first grade team will help with club identity however it must be said, most of our juniors in recent years who have come in have plateaued early in their career or been let go to bigger and better things. We must see more of Amone, Sullivan and Feagais in the last 7 games, and i do expect it at some point. This is not just for future planning but for refreshing the Dragons as a club. SLoan is brilliant to see and it really helps that he can play but does anyone think we have more than 5 or 6 players that really respect the red v for its history and status.

We were all keen to get rid of Dean Young types but i'd kill for some of that Dragons passion right now.

FlameThrower

Bench
The media will be death riding us and we have on one else to blame but ourselves. We lost 3-4 winnable games before the BBQ fiasco, should have been comfortable in the 8 with hopes to play semi-finals. Would have been a great springboard into 2022. Instead our season has unraveled with sacking, fines, suspension and shaming by media and fans etc.All of this in the 100 year anniversary of the Club. Then add the relocation and disruption to QLD due COVID drama and it’s the perfect storm. The team has never tough nor resilient under full strength conditions, so how will they cope now. Seriously you could not have scripted this.

Gareth67

First Grade
I thought Amone had a quiet game
in fact you could say it was like he wasn't even out there

The way that some of those behemoth Manly players were charging through our defense may have taken some of the zing out of his game .

However he showed enough to suggest that he does have the potential to be score points when our own pack is going forward - without stupid handling errors .

What disappoints me is that our team continues to play as if it is there first game together , even at this stage of the season it’s the same tragic opera performance as the last few seasons under the maestro .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The way that some of those behemoth Manly players were charging through our defense may have taken some of the zing out of his game .

However he showed enough to suggest that he does have the potential to be score points when our own pack is going forward - without stupid handling errors .

What disappoints me is that our team continues to play as if it is there first game together , even at this stage of the season it’s the same tragic opera performance as the last few seasons under the maestro .

pretty sure you mean Sloan............................right?

Mjab

Juniors
The media will be death riding us and we have on one else to blame but ourselves. We lost 3-4 winnable games before the BBQ fiasco, should have been comfortable in the 8 with hopes to play semi-finals. Would have been a great springboard into 2022. Instead our season has unraveled with sacking, fines, suspension and shaming by media and fans etc.All of this in the 100 year anniversary of the Club. Then add the relocation and disruption to QLD due COVID drama and it’s the perfect storm. The team has never tough nor resilient under full strength conditions, so how will they cope now. Seriously you could not have scripted this.
I didn’t realise , it was the 100 anniversary BBQ at Yawnies😬

Dragon David

First Grade
This year will end up as the worst year for Anthony Griffin. His previous win rates were:-

2011–14Brisbane Broncos1015414653
2016–18Penrith Panthers724203058
2021–St. George Illawarra1780947
Looks similar to our previous coach - McGregor 46.5% but better than Price 36%.

This has been a very awkward year for Griffin in a lot of ways. Hopefully he can make the necessary improvements to get to a winning ratio of 58% for next year which will mean finals time. Certainly won't be this year I'm afraid to say.

mickeylane

Bench
Hmmm, not one of my better posts.
Hook needs to tinker right now to get the most out of the last 8 rounds...i think we only need 3 wins to get into the top 8, 24 points will do it IMO...i said in an earlier post it's most probably worth a try to put Dufty at 6 and leave Sloan at 1, this way we maximize our strike power...I liked Tanoa Brown w Sims in backrow, I'd leave JDB one more week but at 13 so he can create more and to try and grab the win next week also Fui to come in rest Kerr and add Amone on the bench to cover 6 and centre...we need to throw caution at the wind...for gods sake we have the forwarded to match it its just an attitude thing at the money where we switch off after 55 minutes ...

George Dragon

Juniors
This year will end up as the worst year for Anthony Griffin. His previous win rates were:-

This has been a very awkward year for Griffin in a lot of ways. Hopefully he can make the necessary improvements to get to a winning ratio of 58% for next year which will mean finals time. Certainly won't be this year I'm afraid to say.
That's by club not year.
2013 @ Broncos 10 wins @41%

jeffdragon

Bench

Nut over 3 years I think his record with us will go well

mickeylane

Bench
take a photo of this ladder at see me at round 25...24 points gets us there 3 lousy wins v Titans, Cowboys and a coin coss game vs Canberra even though I'm backing we beat Souths last game if a semi spot is on the line...who will rest Reynolds, Walker, Latrell for the semis...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 7.36.36 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 7.36.36 pm.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 6

Illusion

Bench
The only reason they are still there about in the 8 is because the bottom half teams are very poor .....