What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Forecast 2004

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Compared to other clubs that were savaged by injury, I beleive our last 2 saeasons, which have been destroyed by injuries to major players, will result into a premiership in 2004. Why ?

The Experience the players recieve whilst playing first grade is unmatchable. They were placed into a team with extreme pressure, and learnt the good the bad and the ugly along the way.

It's one thing to say, " first grade is too fast for PL and Flegg ", it's another to actually realise it by playing.

Many of our young brigade, who made the cut this year, were supposed to either get a smell of one of 2 games. PLayed 15 +.

Some were not even earmarked for this year.

We learned to play without Barrett. And we competed well, Beating the top sides without our stars.

This alone will hold us in good stead for the future years.

The difference between clubs blooding their juniors in top grade is lets sayt, the Sharks..

The sharks blooded alot of new good players, Very young. BUT the players that come back into the squad, are not what you would call. Fantastic players. They get to bring in Franze, an Old Stevens...
They have to battle on with these kids, and that will take them at least 3 years Minimum. With Chris andersons flat style, and Mr Brett Kimmorley, they are better off at another club LOL.

We are different because we get to bring in, Barrett, Ryles, Gasnier etc..etc..

Mixed in with the kids, this is a incredibly good formula.

Firman, Creagh, Young, Sims, Wilshire, Howell, Simmonds got plenty of first grade game time, and that will help our cause.
Add in players Like, Payne , Justin Poore. and a Hardnut in Nathan Long. Things look good.

Improvement is assured in all players listed above. So Look out 2004.

Dragons in 2004. Will have a great crack at the GF. IMHO.

Stgillaman said:
Compared to other clubs that were savaged by injury, I beleive our last 2 saeasons, which have been destroyed by injuries to major players, will result into a premiership in 2004. Why ?

Can't fault your optimism. I have a question for you. Do you think the Dragons' run of injuries is pure bad luck, or down to something within the club? If the latter, what, if anything, has happened to change things?

Open question, no trolling intended.

Anonymous

Juniors
Dean Moriarty said:
Stgillaman said:

Can't fault your optimism. I have a question for you. Do you think the Dragons' run of injuries is pure bad luck, or down to something within the club? If the latter, what, if anything, has happened to change things?

I've ask myself that question many times.
The club says its bad luck but others feel differently.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Willow said:
Dean Moriarty said:
Stgillaman said:

Honestly. I played Heavy contact sport for a very long time, Both League, UNion and Soccer.

My First missed game came at 34 years of age, due to a Foot problem. Had more to do with age if you ask me.

I think the players never drank MILK as kids. I have very strong Bones, and never broke one in a game of football. I do however have a slight limp, due to jumping off the roof as a kid thinking im Batman. :roll:

Some is bad luck, some is bad habits, such as running without stretching, some is due to coming back too early, due to HAVE TO PLAY TO WIN.

See Ryles & Gasnier.

Jimbo

Immortal
Willow said:
Dean Moriarty said:
Do you think the Dragons' run of injuries is pure bad luck, or down to something within the club? If the latter, what, if anything, has happened to change things?

I agree with Buzz on that one. It can't all be put down to bad luck...

Benny

First Grade
as any other year i will believe we will win

before nearly every game i beleieve we can win (only exception Round 26 vs Broncos, first and last time tipped against Dragons - thought i'd go for money in Footy Tipping Comp and it cost me :( )

Go the Dragons!

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jimbo said:
Willow said:
Dean Moriarty said:
Do you think the Dragons' run of injuries is pure bad luck, or down to something within the club? If the latter, what, if anything, has happened to change things?

I agree with Buzz on that one. It can't all be put down to bad luck...

Jimbo, Tama,

Good to converse with you on a "normal" level for once.

I've said on numerous occasions that after over three years of "bad luck" an audit of medical & training procedures & techniques is urgently needed. No other club in the competition seems to have as many soft tissue injuries as Saints, so the logical conclusion would be that something such as preperation could possibly be the main reason behind this.

I believe our team doctor is Martin Rafferty, the Wallabies doctor - supposedly one of the best in the business, yet for the most part recover times, with the exception of Lance Thompson, have been longer than anticipated.

As for training, I'm not 100% sure what they do in pre-season, but surely it'd be better for the players to build up cardio fitness with non-impact exercise like swimming & cycling. The way our players are succumbing to ankle, knee & lower back injuries you'd swear that they were off on long road runs a la the late 1970s!!

I'm a St George Football Club member, not a farcical Red Vee member (until next season, when it's bundled with my season ticket), so I've not had a chance to raise it at the Forum. I'd certainly love someone to do so because it sucks have over $1 million of our "software" sitting on the bench at crucial times of the season...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Big Tommy

Juniors
Southern Saint

I couldn't agree more with your comments about the need for a training audit. Seriously something must be getting missed, it can't just be bad luck, can it?

As a Qld supporter of the Dragons for a couple of decades (not a Dragons supporters club Qld member though) - can you tell me how you get to be a member of the football club?

I've been meaning to look into it for a while and every time I start looking I just get the usual website info about being a Red Vee member, etc.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Big Tommy said:
Southern Saint

I couldn't agree more with your comments about the need for a training audit. Seriously something must be getting missed, it can't just be bad luck, can it?

As a Qld supporter of the Dragons for a couple of decades (not a Dragons supporters club Qld member though) - can you tell me how you get to be a member of the football club?

I've been meaning to look into it for a while and every time I start looking I just get the usual website info about being a Red Vee member, etc.

Big Tommy,

Aren't Bothers Valleys a feeder club for Saints?? Anyone of note that deserves a run in the NRL?? Not hiding any Billy Slaters from us, are you?!?!

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Big Tommy said:
Southern Saint

Big Tommy,

Aren't Bothers Valleys a feeder club for Saints?? Anyone of note that deserves a run in the NRL?? Not hiding any Billy Slaters from us, are you?!?!

Cheers,
Ben S.
I make the pilgrimage to Perry Park every year now to see the Saints younguns take on Brothers Valleys... it is afterall their first game of the year and it has all that anticipation attached to it - even if the pies taste like crap. :lol:
Haven't never seen any Billy Slaters hiding up there yet, although Lord Ted and Feral Dragons might disagree.

Big Tommy

Juniors
Patience Willow....patience

Brothers Valleys are very much in the taking small steps category at the moment and over the next couple of years I am confident both Brothers-Valleys supporters and Dragons people will start to see the fruitition of this relationship.

These 2 clubs have produced the Coyne brothers, Mark and Peter, Graham Quinn (from the 1970's), Trevor Bailey, Peter Gill and several other top line players for St George in recent decades. Believe me this tradition will continue for a whole variety of factors. We need the Dragons to stick to us like never before for the next couple of seasons and just help us over the final couple of hurdles!

On the subject of Perry Park, it was a great place to watch football from but had lousy food. Next year we will be based in the northern suburbs of Brisbane and this should produce some assistance for us in our recruitment as the area is in a high population growth zone.

Sure, the team we've had playing the Dragons youngsters in the past 2 encounters has had no "stars" but a couple of our colts, despite the teams record, are quality on the rise.

Keep in touch with us fellas, Qld origins Dragons will help you out in the future as we have done in the past.

Anonymous

Juniors
Good onya Big Tommy. As usual I'll be up there next February and I'll might catch up with you. Will they still be playing at Perry Park?

Big Tommy

Juniors
No, I wouldn't think so Willow. The Strikers will be in the middle of the soccer season and judging by the way they went on before we finished our tenancy at the ground, they'd be highly unlikley to let us play the game there.

Not sure where it will be at this stage.

Stay tuned

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
The Dragons should go well next year, baring injuries.

They have great players in key positions. IMO, saints have the 2 best halves in team in Barrett and Firman. A great hooker [even though I can't stand the thug], 2 great props. Kite, timmins and thompson in the back row are great players. Cooper on the wing. You guys in my opinion lack a couple of outside backs. I've still got a question mark on brown as a coach.

But you guys should have a good year next season.

Anonymous

Juniors
He used to play on the wing. Possesses some good speed actually.
I think youre right about him playing on the wing for Country but dont quote me on that.

Southernsaint said:
I believe our team doctor is Martin Rafferty, the Wallabies doctor - supposedly one of the best in the business, yet for the most part recover times, with the exception of Lance Thompson, have been longer than anticipated.

I'm a St George Football Club member, not a farcical Red Vee member (until next season, when it's bundled with my season ticket), so I've not had a chance to raise it at the Forum. I'd certainly love someone to do so because it sucks have over $1 million of our "software" sitting on the bench at crucial times of the season...
My dad's a Red V member, and somehow I was bored enough to read the latest newsletter. :D Anyway, they printed a summary of the questions and answers of a recent Forum. That very question was asked, and the response was basically as you said above - "Martin Raftery is the best in the business blah blah blah." I may be wrong about this part, but I seem to remember them also saying they had done some sort of audit which concluded it was all just bad luck.