What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons gamble on Head for final role

glory79

Juniors
From the SMH,

Dragons gamble on Head for final role

Greg Prichard
September 7, 2006

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Nathan Brown has made a stunning turnaround and brought Mathew Head back into the frame as an option to fill the key halfback role for the Dragons against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.

Brown originally left Head in premier league when he named his team on Tuesday for the second qualifying final but after a rethink has decided to include him in the squad.

Head had been the automatic choice at halfback until problems with the knee he had reconstructed last year forced him to miss a game recently. He then asked to come back via premier league to regain confidence.

Despite the Dragons winning three games in succession to end the regular season, Brown was expected to recall Head to the side for the Broncos game. He didn't at first, but now has given himself that option because, as Brown says, Head looks ready.

"There is a chance 'Heady' will play," Brown said last night. "He's gone from being no chance to a genuine possibility. We're going to Brisbane on Friday and he'll come up with us as the 19th man.

"No decision has been made yet on whether he'll play or whether we'll run with the nominated team. Myself and the rest of the coaching staff will keep watching him and the rest of the team, and later in the week we'll make a decision.

"There are a couple of reasons things have changed. One is that Heady received a really good report on his knee when he saw the club doctor this week, and the other is that his own confidence has shot up.

"Heady is a cheeky little bugger when he's at his best and he's being a cheeky little bugger now. He looks way sharp at training. He wanted to be back in first grade two weeks ago but I didn't think it was time.

"Now we've brought him back as an option and we're going to weigh it all up when we get closer to the game. Heady trains at halfback with us, the same as Ben [Hornby, the nominated halfback] does, so we're prepared for all the options."

Prop Michael Henderson was named as the 18th man, and will travel in case of injury to any other player before the game.

Head's return would presumably see fullback Clint Greenshields losing his place in the squad and Hornby switching to fullback, although Brown refused to comment on that until he decided on playing Head.

Brisbane finished third and St George Illawarra sixth, so if the Dragons lose and either seventh-placed Canberra or eighth-placed Parramatta win on the weekend, Brown's men will be eliminated.

Sir Biffo

Bench
I hope if they do this:

One of the fowards drops off the bench to be 18th/19th man
Greenshields/Gorrell to bench
Hornby to hooker
Head to half

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In for a penny, in for a pound. Looking at the size of the Broncos pack, we need all the reserve power we can muster on the bench.

This could all be a bit of gamesmanship from Brown, but if Head is fit, let him play by all means. But make no half measures or negative tactics elsewhere to cover for him. It was Head who brought the Broncos undone the last time these two teams met.

phonetic

Juniors
Big gamble, but I'm willing to back Brown's judgement. If he think he's bubbly and ready to go, then get him in there.

I would probably prefer to see him come in off the bench after 20-25 minutes. The Broncos have plenty of size and speed, and for a guy like Heady, it might be a bit much to handle early on for him, even if he is put out on the extremeties of the defensive line.

I'd feel a bit nervous if I saw him run out in the starting 13, but I'm very excited that he's likely to be in the game.

Latest posts