What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons half Shannon Crook biding his time

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons half Shannon Crook biding his time

By SIMON BRUNSDON

Jan. 14, 2015, 7:28 p.m.

RUGBY LEAGUE
Up and coming St George Illawarra playmaker Shannon Crook is under no illusions he will get picked in the starting 17 ahead of international halves partners Benji Marshall and Gareth Widdop.
Between them, Marshall and Widdop have racked up 310 NRL games, 37 Test matches, eight World Cup appearances, two premierships, and one Golden Boot.
Crook, 20, is still waiting for his debut at the top level.
He has been promoted from the club's National Youth Competition list to the Dragons' senior squad and is in the midst of his first pre-season with the big boys.
His next goal is simple - to play an NRL game.
Crook knows it may take an injury or illness to one of the club's current "linchpins" to get him there, and he is happy to take a back seat for now.
"I've got two class players in front of me, but being a young half only 20 years old, I've got two great players to learn from and I've got my whole career ahead of me," Crook said.
"Having Benji and Gareth to learn off I couldn't ask for any better.
"Obviously I want to play first grade but you've just got to bide your time and when that day comes hopefully I've done enough and I'll be ready."
Crook was an integral part of the Dragons' under 20 campaign last year and led the team deep into NYC finals.
Making the transition from leader of a squad to one of the "rookies" has been made easier with the help of one of rugby league's most recognisable characters - Marshall.
The former New Zealand Test captain has taken the young halfback under his wing and Crook admits he still gets starstruck from time to time.
"Benji's been awesome," Crook said.
"To learn off such a great player it's been great for me.
"Coming up as a young half I couldn't ask for anyone better to learn from.
"Benji every now and then takes me aside and helps me with the little things that can improve my game.
"It's awesome, big privilege to finally be up training with first grade."
Before worrying too much about making his NRL debut, Crook is hoping to grab a ticket to Auckland at the end of this month for the Nines tournament.
Paul McGregor is yet to inform the players exactly which of them will be crossing the Tasman to play, but Crook knows a game at the Nines could be his best chance to impress his new coach.
"It will be a great opportunity to go over and play against some class players. But being young, I just want to show what I've got, and I couldn't ask for a better place to do that than over in Auckland."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...rook-profits-from-master-duos-tuition/?cs=302

blacksafake

First Grade
Another reason the signing of Benji was a good one contrary to some people.
The experience,knowledge & confidence he brings to the team as well as his ability is what the club needs to educate the juniors coming through.

hardbaby

Coach
If Benji is only on 550k as reported that's not overs for a half with that level of experience. I'm backing him to have a very good season this year.

Mr Red

First Grade
If Benji is only on 550k as reported that's not overs for a half with that level of experience. I'm backing him to have a very good season this year.

Barge Ass has started to transition from ball runner to ball player, he wont run the length of the field anymore, so its key he puts ball runners into holes.

Joel Thompson is perhaps one of the best hole runners in the team, so i am looking forward to him and barge ass forming combinations on the fringe of the ruck..

Crook has done well coming back from a serious knee injury he and Hutchinson are the future of the club.

Regardless of all the rumblings about the first grade team now these two along with Thompson, Aitken, AFB and Dufty the future does have some brightness.

I'll go even further Blake Lawrie and Matt Jurd if they can develop these two young guys they are going to be serious first graders in the future.

Puff2010

Juniors
Whiddop & Benji will work well together in 2015 so long as our forwards can hold their own and are prepared to get down and dirty.

Gee Jay

Juniors
Crook has done well coming back from a serious knee injury he and Hutchinson are the future of the club.

Regardless of all the rumblings about the first grade team now these two along with Thompson, Aitken, AFB and Dufty the future does have some brightness.

I'll go even further Blake Lawrie and Matt Jurd if they can develop these two young guys they are going to be serious first graders in the future.
I'm a big fan of Hutchinson too. Very mature and humble young man of 19yrs. Good solid performance in the cutters during 2014, knows where his roots are and loves the dragons.

With Duffy I realise he has made some good teams being 20s and 18s origin. Even with his blistering speed I tend to worry about his size and frame?

Thoroughly agree in Matt Jurd & Blake Laurie. Two big young men that need to be nurtured by senior players.

watatank

Coach
It couldn't hurt Crook to be more versatile while he develops and he would be able to work on his defensive game, a bit like what Ben Hunt was doing for Brisbane before he established himself in the halves there.

BennyV

Referee
Can't really bank on bringing any halves or forwards through to first grade as utilities/hookers until Rein is gone...

possm

Coach
Rein
L'Estragne
Garvey
Mortimer

Unless there is an injury to one of the above, I think we have a full book of hookers.

TheRev

Coach
It couldn't hurt Crook to be more versatile while he develops and he would be able to work on his defensive game, a bit like what Ben Hunt was doing for Brisbane before he established himself in the halves there.
Wouldnt hooker put a lot more load on Crooks body, which has seemingly struggled thus far?

watatank

Coach
All I'm saying is maybe he should spend time at both hooker and halves. That will probably end up happening anyway because we have a few halves at the club, he will probably end up on the bench at the Cutters to start the season and play some hooker off the bench

Mattc

Juniors
I may be wrong, but wasn't Crook ahead of Brooks in the junior rep pecking order?
Someone who is across this may know.
If that's the case, he has talent. Who knows how far he can go?

watatank

Coach
Yes, Crook was NSW halfback in U16s and U18s, I think one year he partnered Mitchell Moses from the Tigers

BennyV

Referee
I may be wrong, but wasn't Crook ahead of Brooks in the junior rep pecking order?
Someone who is across this may know.
If that's the case, he has talent. Who knows how far he can go?

This was the case up to 2 years ago...Crook then busted his ACL, and TBH he has done well to.get back to playing the way he has last season!

I do agree with watatank to an extent, adding the extra skill would help him along, but I'd prefer Keating start from the bench in Cutters to learn that utility role as he will more likely be needed in first grade next year. If Crook and Hutchison arent the Cutters halves, I'd go as far as to say that someones priorities are very wrong at the club...

Latest posts