What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons hang on to hope of Bennett staying

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Eg starting a thread called "quote this image"...

actually, no.. i merely posted up a picture that has great potential for some awesome one liners.. which we saw people provide.. so it was for the amusement of everyone, not just me..

i've done it before for clubs including my own, and i'll do it again.. it's a great way for people on here to be creative and add a little bit more to the board..

and besides, your mob had exactly the same opportunity to provide your own quotes for the image.. it's hardly my fault that public sentiment is against GI at the moment..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I cannot believe the amount of disrespect with which the Illawarra region and the Steelers are treated by many of the supporters of the St.George side of the merger, however.

i think you'll find fans from both sides now see us as one..

yes, you'll get your fringe folk who would still like the good old days, but hey, even your mob has that breed of supporter here..

folk from sydney have travelled to wollongong to view the trophy, with no bitching at all about the distance..

but hey, wouldn't expect an outsider to understand the fan culture of another club, just as i don't get your culture either..

doesn't make us worse, just different..

Even with that 2 years out we still have 19 more premierships than you. :lol:

35??

sorry buddy.. charity sheild doesn't count..

KiamaSaint

Coach
Dragons when winning 11 in a row were so dominant they changed the rules of the game and cut our territory by introducing cronulla then once again in 82 by bringing in steelers......this is fact we drew players from down there for 50 years or more.....much like broncos had all south east qld....now titans are there and potentially a new brisbane team will weaken broncos over time.....now imagine if broncos30 years from now were given a chance to take over (or merge as some say) with titans do you think they won't jump at the chance? Well thats what dragons did with ilawarra and would take over sharks given half the chance as well. The difference is souths were taken over and dragons weren't.....and who cares where players come from its not like souths are all juniors either.

Spot on.

What a lot of fans from other teams don't get is that the Sutherland Shire and the Illawarra are full of Dragons supporters because our dads and their dads follow the dragons long before the Sharks and Steelers came onto the scene.

As a Dragons fan in the Illawarra, I actually find it quite disrespectful other fans calling us St Merge or Steelers, etc. You clearly don't understand our history and how the Illawarra play such a pivotal role in our success in the 50s and 60s. You aren't being disrespectful to the Kogarah fans, you are actually being disrespectful to the Illawarra fans.

I am a fan of the St George Illawarra Dragons. A club that has won sixteen premierships and will hopefully make it 17 in 2011.

BTW - word for the wise. If you post articles about Benny and the Dragons be prepared to attract Dragons' fans. It really should go without saying.

CCJames

Juniors
Spot on.

What a lot of fans from other teams don't get is that the Sutherland Shire and the Illawarra are full of Dragons supporters because our dads and their dads follow the dragons long before the Sharks and Steelers came onto the scene.

As a Dragons fan in the Illawarra, I actually find it quite disrespectful other fans calling us St Merge or Steelers, etc. You clearly don't understand our history and how the Illawarra play such a pivotal role in our success in the 50s and 60s. You aren't being disrespectful to the Kogarah fans, you are actually being disrespectful to the Illawarra fans.

I am a fan of the St George Illawarra Dragons. A club that has won sixteen premierships and will hopefully make it 17 in 2011.

BTW - word for the wise. If you post articles about Benny and the Dragons be prepared to attract Dragons' fans. It really should go without saying.

You have only won one competition, you created a totally new club when the merger took place, therefore you lose all previous history of both the clubs, dragons and steelers. Your website even outlines this if you do not understand. It clearly says 'A long and famous era had ended for St George and a relatively short but proud era was over for Illawarra.' It is a new club, so just face it you have won one premiership!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You have only won one competition, you created a totally new club when the merger took place, therefore you lose all previous history of both the clubs, dragons and steelers. Your website even outlines this if you do not understand. It clearly says 'A long and famous era had ended for St George and a relatively short but proud era was over for Illawarra.' It is a new club, so just face it you have won one premiership!

f**k me, another thread that gets sidetracked by this old argument..

the website clearly states the era was over for st george being a stand alone club.. the new era begins with the two forming a joint venture..

there are plenty of threads on this topic so i'm not going to go into it as i know it's a pointless argument..

you guys believe that we are only a 12 year old club (which by the way, if we were negates the argument about us selling 50% of the club.. so pick which argument it is boys..) and we believe that you guys sold your soul to the corporate world and are no longer a club at heart, but a business..

KiamaSaint

Coach
:clap: - rich coming from fans that don't have a club.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Who would have thought, idiot Dragons fans don't understand the concept of private ownership.

Also all you fools who are claiming it's all Dragons fans everywhere blah blah blah, then drop the "Illawarra" from your name and prove it. Do a manly and kill off your the half of your merger that is the Steelers. You've done enough for them, gave them 11 years, now kill them and take it all for yourself.

It should be no problem if it's all yours anyway...or maybe you'd crash and burn and have noone show up to your Wollongong games.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Who would have thought, idiot Dragons fans don't understand the concept of private ownership.

Also all you fools who are claiming it's all Dragons fans everywhere blah blah blah, then drop the "Illawarra" from your name and prove it. Do a manly and kill off your the half of your merger that is the Steelers. You've done enough for them, gave them 11 years, now kill them and take it all for yourself.

It should be no problem if it's all yours anyway...or maybe you'd crash and burn and have noone show up to your Wollongong games.

we understand private ownership... it works well in business..

we also understand the concept of club ownership.. works really well in football..

MattJ

Juniors
we understand private ownership... it works well in business..

we also understand the concept of club ownership.. works really well in football..

Im sorry, but if you don't think that proffesional football clubs are a business, than you are living in a fantasy world.

Private ownership does not eliminate a club, it still has its members that contribute and have voting rights on key issues.

I understand that you guys neeed something to retaliate to the whole merged club only around for just over a decade crap you hear all the time, but that argument is ridiculous.

Does this also mean that fans that follow Manly no longer have a club, or the Knights will no longer have a club either?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Im sorry, but if you don't think that proffesional football clubs are a business, than you are living in a fantasy world.

of course they are still a business, i never implied otherwise.. all i said is that private ownership is better suited to the world of business, not sport...

all football clubs need to work under the standard profit and loss scenario, otherwise they become insolvent and need to be either disolved or sold off (but i won't go into that today)..

the biggest difference between club and private ownership (And hence why i say that club ownership is better in football) is that at the end of a season, any additional profit made through either a good season result, increased membership or simply just more bums on seats (pardon the pun) is returned to the club and the team, and everyone benefits..

additional profits in a private ownership scenario can be returned to the owner, and the club can miss out... not saying that 100% of the money will go into the owners pocket, but anything less than 100% returned to the club is a loss for the fans..

MattJ

Juniors
I don't know, i think if a private owner is going to run a club at a loss and sink millions into it to try and get it back to a competitive state out of passion for a team, there is no real problem with a percentage of any profit eventually being made going back into the owners hands.
As long as the club stays afloat and can continually pull enough sponsership and memberships to thrive in a tough economic market, thats enough to keep most members and/or fans satisfied with the situation.

KiamaSaint

Coach

Just proves yet again how ignorant you are about our history. Let me say it again. The Illawarra have always had a large part to play in the Dragons. You use the Illawarra like it is an insult or embarrassing to Dragon fans, that we should cut it from our name. Why? And yet we know it was from the Illawarra that so many of our greats have come from.

I know it is too painful for Souths fans to bear, so you don't have to watch the game again, just fast forward to the end when Craig and Dean Young embrace. That is passion our players, admin and fans have for our club. Ask Dean whether he plays for the same club as his father did?

If you had a leg removed, would you not want it back? We have one returned and many Dragons' fans look forward to the day when the Sutherland Shire is also returned.

RAB-161

Juniors
Just proves yet again how ignorant you are about our history. Let me say it again. The Illawarra have always had a large part to play in the Dragons. You use the Illawarra like it is an insult or embarrassing to Dragon fans, that we should cut it from our name. Why? And yet we know it was from the Illawarra that so many of our greats have come from.

I know it is too painful for Souths fans to bear, so you don't have to watch the game again, just fast forward to the end when Craig and Dean Young embrace. That is passion our players, admin and fans have for our club. Ask Dean whether he plays for the same club as his father did?

If you had a leg removed, would you not want it back? We have one returned and many Dragons' fans look forward to the day when the Sutherland Shire is also returned.
It's not up to the Young family to decide.
The NRL have already decided : The official records state that St.George have won 15 premierships and St.GeorgeIllawarra have won 1.
Why do you presume that it is particularly painful for Souths supporters to watch your club win a premiership. I had nothing against St.George; they were a well run organization that never had the smell of Easts or Manly as far as I was concerned.
I have no particular ill feelings towards St.George Illawarra either. I always had a soft spot for Illawarra and this club has strong blood lines connecting it to St.George.
I was cheering for your guys on the day and loved that Easts were punished by a pretty hefty margin.
It's just the typical delusional St.George rant that I find hard to take.

Saintsified

Bench
f**k me, another thread that gets sidetracked by this old argument..

the website clearly states the era was over for st george being a stand alone club.. the new era begins with the two forming a joint venture..

there are plenty of threads on this topic so i'm not going to go into it as i know it's a pointless argument..

you guys believe that we are only a 12 year old club (which by the way, if we were negates the argument about us selling 50% of the club.. so pick which argument it is boys..) and we believe that you guys sold your soul to the corporate world and are no longer a club at heart, but a business..

Exactly they say we are only 12 years old, but before we became premiers last season we were so called chokers who havent won in 31 years...lol doesnt add up.

Can't have it both ways.

RAB-161

Juniors
You're making this up as you go along. The "chokers" tag ( which I thought was unfair and juvenile) only ever applied to a period since the merger when your team had a very impressive roster and one definately capable of winning premierships. No one has ever suggested that they have been chokers for 31 years. That really would be ridiculous.

Latest posts