What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DRAGONS JUNIORS THREAD

possm

Coach
Emerging south coast gun back rower Jarrah Treweek has capped off a stellar 2023 season with two personal awards, the Laurie Daley Cup Most Valuable Player and the Illawarra South Coast Dragons Player of the Year.

Treweek, who stands an imposing 195cm was an instrumental member of the Dragons side that took out the Laurie Daley Cup for the second year in a row, culminating in a grand final hat-trick and Player of the Match performance.

I understand we cant keep all our IIlawarra or St George juniors but we do need to make an extra effort to hold onto blokes that show this level of promise. Poor recruitment and retention is a big part of what is wrong with this club..
It seems that we still have a MILLWARD MESS on our hands!

Parko1310

Juniors
Is anyone that may have watched more St George SG Ball/STGI Flegg this year able to make comment on Loko Tonga's performances? I remember earlier in the year there were two St George SG games being streamed on NSWRL which I tuned into and he seemed to not want to do any work or take any runs. Then there were no more games streamed, but his name kept popping up on the scorecard and St George started stringing some wins together. Then after the SG season, he found himself promoted to Flegg on a number of occasions. He's now also an Australian schoolboy. So, is Tonga actually overhyped because he's a huge kid but won't do any work/doesn't believe in himself? Or did he just take some time to warm into the season and then went really well? Would appreciate some insight as this guy is huge and if he does the hard work too and has some mongrel about him then he will be a very good player in the future. Cheers

Last edited:

Draginzaaar

Bench
Until we spend some serious money on our pathways and stop dicking around the club is going nowhere. Here we are trying to get imports in, we have a perfect example in one of them. The template that Penrith put out is our future, this is where success comes from. Top rated development coaches, top rated recruiters is a must. Why did the Panthers win every grade last year and have been consistently at the top in every grade for numerous years. How many of their own juniors have they got in their NRL squad. Look at the way they perform coming into top grade as compared to ours. Thats why they can afford to lose players like Kikau , Crighton etc they dont care, they are confident in what is coming through the grades. With the nursery we have its a disgrace where we stand in KOE, JF and SG, and whats more have no representation in finals is a total f%$king disgrace.
Bulldogs won a few grades this year. Does that mean they will be on the up in a few years?

Dragons Flegg player of the year
Thanks for the clip. Can see why he was their best. Impressive. Reminds me of Bradman Best, looks as damaging a runner, quicker tho and with an offload.
They dont have Flegg stats for some reason but he also played three Reggie games.

Last edited:
Unless Flanno can pull off a miracle or three I can't see us signing anyone of note next year. So, I'm guessing we are going to go with our youngsters next year, especially our young forwards, the Couchmen, Tsougranis, Egan, Ackers, Webster.., Anyone else we should look out for?

If so, it will be interesting to see how they go!
Be interesting how many of those guys actually make the 30 other than the Couchmen. Ackers a touch young. Am adding Josh Coric who would have made the 30 this year but for a season ending injury. He is a bullocking prop.

Then after the SG season, he found himself promoted to Flegg on a number of occasions. He's now also an Australian schoolboy.
I watched one game against the Wests Maggies and he was heavily involved in everything, carry after carry, busted the line repeatedly, strong tackling and not only to wrap up the ball carrier, he went round the waist and legs too.
As for his attitude this quote may fill you in. It was after being named in the Schoolboys team.

“I was very excited, I was doubting myself that I would make it, but I just heard my name and got very excited and happy…

The giant prop also said that he was ''loving it here'' in his first season of club footy with the Dragons. Tho our talent scouts found him in Brissie, Loko Jr is a Sydney boy, who has now returned home.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
I watched one game against the Wests Maggies and he was heavily involved in everything, carry after carry, busted the line repeatedly, strong tackling and not only to wrap up the ball carrier, he went round the waist and legs too.
As for his attitude this quote may fill you in. It was after being named in the Schoolboys team.

“I was very excited, I was doubting myself that I would make it, but I just heard my name and got very excited and happy…

The giant prop also said that he was ''loving it here'' in his first season of club footy with the Dragons. Tho our talent scouts found him in Brissie, Loko Jr is a Sydney boy.
Much appreciated. Sounds like he must've kicked on later in the season. Hopefully that Aus selection gives him that extra bit of self belief too.

TheRev

Coach
I wonder if Ben Johnson is the earmarked replacement for Max Feagai @ right ctr next year, he doesnt look overly fast or agile, just a hard worker who does the little things right in attack and defence, tackles hard too which is often the issue with young players. Seems to come off the line a lot to put on big hits, but he smashed his opponent.. but those are things they can/will work on.

Cooper Roberts & Ben Rumble are the other 2 backs I'm keen to see more of... but tbf like all clubs have their young talent, we still have a long way to go before our lower grades have the success we need.. and even more importantly, that they have an easier time slotting up a grade like we see all the kids at panthers, storm etc do.

denis preston

First Grade
M
Saints juniors were doing ok from memory as a junior team consisting of Amone, Sullivan, Sloan, Feagai x 2 beat a super Penrith team in the day. Saints were up there with the best juniors in the NRL as Saints were their biggest challengers. All Saints had to do was build a team around this like Penrith did in the day and are now reaping the rewards but no, Saints have an aging half dictating his ways and demanding the ball all the time whilst the old has-beens recruited being the halfbacks mates, have been blocking the paths of up and coming juniors like Jacob Host, Sele, Jackson Ford, Robson etc.

I have trust Flanno will sort this out and in a couple of years this year will be the short term pain we had for the long term success we will be having (I hope).
Mate , out of all the players mentioned there is only one that has moved to elite in playing SOO. You can make excuses for them but at the end of the day some have not kicked on and others are just serviceable players.just check other clubs players at the same age & positions.

I was not aware Shane Flanagan was a Dragons junior.

Flanno now appears more intent on moving Lomax to the back next season.

Evidently he is bringing his son with him, does this mean he thinks Hunt will not fulfill his two year contract. If he is a better play maker than Hunt then I welcome him coming.

Last edited:

RedVee_8

Juniors
I was not aware Shane Flanagan was a Dragons junior.

Flanno now appears more intent on moving Lomax to the back next season.

Evidently he is bringing his son with him, does this mean he thinks Hunt will not fulfill his two year contract. If he is a better play maker than Hunt then I welcome him coming.
His first 3 First Grade games were with us as well. Before moving on to the Magpies

Parko1310

Juniors
I wonder if Ben Johnson is the earmarked replacement for Max Feagai @ right ctr next year, he doesnt look overly fast or agile, just a hard worker who does the little things right in attack and defence, tackles hard too which is often the issue with young players. Seems to come off the line a lot to put on big hits, but he smashed his opponent.. but those are things they can/will work on.

Cooper Roberts & Ben Rumble are the other 2 backs I'm keen to see more of... but tbf like all clubs have their young talent, we still have a long way to go before our lower grades have the success we need.. and even more importantly, that they have an easier time slotting up a grade like we see all the kids at panthers, storm etc do.
I would say maximum Johnson would be on a development deal. Tamale will likely be the backup centre next year. That is of course assuming Max does leave. If he doesn't then Tamale is probably a spot behind Max for next year

Latest posts