What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DRAGONS JUNIORS THREAD

Sloth

Juniors
Schiller was the one junior coming through that I wanted to keep, had a different physique to who we currently have. A quicker version of Lomax that could play Fullback, Wing and Centre. Not the complete package yet at Canberra but is a much better option than Matt albeit on opposite sides of the field.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Justa, fairly sure Schiller was brought down from Young, and played Flegg and some reserve grade before being told to look elsewhere.
He's a big kid and a lot of hype before he arrived with many claiming he was the answer to our full-back problem. As I recall, defensive issues were the reason for his being moved on- Makes you wonder how so many others with similar problems (the Feagais, Sloan et al) were spared. Some selective decisions being made in our so-called pathways program which needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
With all the off field personnel changes, why not chase someone like Trevor Gillmeister to teach the Sloans and Billy Burns of the club (as well as the juniors) good tackling technique.

justadragon

Bench
He's a big kid and a lot of hype before he arrived with many claiming he was the answer to our full-back problem. As I recall, defensive issues were the reason for his being moved on- Makes you wonder how so many others with similar problems (the Feagais, Sloan et al) were spared. Some selective decisions being made in our so-called pathways program which needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
With all the off field personnel changes, why not chase someone like Trevor Gillmeister to teach the Sloans and Billy Burns of the club (as well as the juniors) good tackling technique.
Totally agree mate, the most important thing when our pathways get looked at is defence, all the grades looked good scoring try's but they sure looked embarrassing stopping them.

justadragon

Bench
Doesn’t it worry you he’s good with the amones? Potential bad culture?
If Amone comes out of the mess he is in having learnt something about cultural behaviour and what is required by young role models for our juniors, then I'm happy for him to start guiding the younger ones. Nothing like your own experiences, be them very tumultuous to possibly set someone else on the straight and narrow.

getsmarty

Immortal

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
awarra Steelers SG Ball pre-Christmas squad Nov 2023:
Tyrone Amone, Viliami Amone,
Hudson Bailey, Clay Baldock, Bohden Barrett, Lucas Borg, Hayden Buchanan, Dreau Clark, Cuba Cleaven-Vanderlaak, Beau Devlin, Aaymon Fitzgibbon, Malakai Folau, Dextar Grant, Charlie Heidke, Eden Hodges, Samuel Kennedy, Lyhkan King-Togia, Tom Kirk, Tom Knox, Drew Langdon, Isaac Laughton, Letham Manago, Bailey Marks, Daniel Meafou, Lincoln Miners, Ramses Munro, Ashton O’Dea, Seth Pearman, Braith Plecas, Kaide Pratt, Kade Reed, Jackson Rieck, Toby Rumble, Lewis Sargent-Wilson, Jackson Smith, Palu Tausala, Darnell Te Ahuru, Jarrah Treweek, Lachlan Weir, Harry Wililo

Are the two Amone lads above related to Junior? yep now answered........Tyrone is a young prop and younger bother of Junior. Viliami Amone im guessing is also related?

interesting article on Lock - Daniel Meafou

and another article......older but insightful

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
awarra Steelers SG Ball pre-Christmas squad Nov 2023:
Tyrone Amone, Viliami Amone,
Hudson Bailey, Clay Baldock, Bohden Barrett, Lucas Borg, Hayden Buchanan, Dreau Clark, Cuba Cleaven-Vanderlaak, Beau Devlin, Aaymon Fitzgibbon, Malakai Folau, Dextar Grant, Charlie Heidke, Eden Hodges, Samuel Kennedy, Lyhkan King-Togia, Tom Kirk, Tom Knox, Drew Langdon, Isaac Laughton, Letham Manago, Bailey Marks, Daniel Meafou, Lincoln Miners, Ramses Munro, Ashton O’Dea, Seth Pearman, Braith Plecas, Kaide Pratt, Kade Reed, Jackson Rieck, Toby Rumble, Lewis Sargent-Wilson, Jackson Smith, Palu Tausala, Darnell Te Ahuru, Jarrah Treweek, Lachlan Weir, Harry Wililo

Are the two Amone lads above related to Junior? yep now answered........Tyrone is a young prop and younger bother of Junior. Viliami Amone im guessing is also related?

interesting article on Lock - Daniel Meafou

and another article......older but insightful

I know that we can't keep them all as they all look very promising. I can really understand why Flanno isn't panicking too much as like me about those big name signings, because he can see so much depth of talent in the juniors coming through. The main job for our coaches is to get them developed and prepared for the big time.

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Are the two Amone lads above related to Junior? yep now answered........Tyrone is a young prop and younger bother of Junior. Viliami Amone im guessing is also related
Tyrone is a cousin
Villi amd Api are brothers
Locks alone we have a stack from 32yrs of age to 16yrs of age. That’s ten of them and a few could become props like Ackers or Latu and maybe Stewart

JDB
Sele
Couchman R
Egan
Taougronis
AckerS
Stewart
Latu
Meafou
Weatherall
Egan Tsougranis and Weatherall are not locks

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Tyrone is a cousin
Villi amd Api are brothers

Egan Tsougranis and Weatherall are not locks

Thanks Jeremy

I did hear Weatherall say he prefers lock but the coaches wanted him to become a front rower?

Maybe the coaches won?

Egan at 182cm and 95kg will be a very interesting choice to be an edge backrower ? There might be less than 5% FG with a similar type build that play edge backrow in the current form of NRL? I just personally felt he was probably going to have to be able to take on edge and or lock in FG vs the juniors grades where he mainly played Edge. Can’t wait to what he can bring bit by bit as he is a slingshot ready to shoot. Has that real Victor Radley about the intensity to his total game.

Tsougranis i wondered also whether short and stocky would be quite limiting for him to play edge backrow rather than middle if he can make it to FG? Another to watch just like the couchmans at 98kg each will have to be flexible between prop, edge and backrow and take their chances if they want to be true full season FG players

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
From watching some of the videos on their tackling drills, I was very impressed with the technique & power in the drills performed which was one on one tackling, not gang tackling that reduces your numbers in defence.
I was going to comment earlier about it, being much like the power hitting the Panthers perform, unlike the out- dated hold up & absorb the impact that the Storm use.