What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Round 1 Team Announced?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I would Prefer Costigan than Saffy

other than that, not a bad squad
Based on trial form, I agree with the inclusion of Saffy, he looks far more capable of longer minutes, and had far more impact as well as lower errors than Costigan.

I expect Costigan to be in the side by round 4-5 when he gets his match fitness up, but until then, Saffy is the logical selection.

RedVDave

First Grade
St George Bank Dragons Coach Wayne Bennett has today announced his team to clash with the Storm in Round 1 of the Telstra Premiership for the Emergency Services Cup at Olympic Park, Melbourne this Friday night.
Newly appointed Captain Ben Hornby will start his first match of the year at halfback with new recruits Darius Boyd, Michael Weyman, Jeremy Smith and Luke Priddis all named to make their Dragons debut.
“It has been a long pre-season and everyone is excited that the first game of the year is just about here,” said Hornby. “The Storm will be a tough first-up test but a challenge that we are all looking forward too”.
The Emergency Services Cup will now be contested between the two teams each time they meet in recognition of all Emergency Services personnel who give their services to the communities of both Victoria and New South Wales with the support of the Victorian and New South Wales State Government.
At the Round One clash, the Storm will wear special commemorative jerseys that will feature a yellow ribbon embroidered into them, with each player’s jersey to be auctioned off to raise money for the Bushfire Relief Appeal.
In the corresponding clash in Round 21 at WIN Jubilee Oval, the Dragons jersey’s will be embroided with the yellow ribbon.
“The Emergency Services across our nation play a vital role in supporting our communities,” said Doust.
“While justifiably in recent times we have all focused on Victoria, there will always be a need for these valuable services somewhere.
“The Dragons would like to play a part in recognising their role and contribution – the people who give and the people who deliver.”
Round 1
NRL v Storm
Friday, March 13 2009
7.35pm
Round 1
Toyota Cup v Storm
Friday, March 13 2009
5.35pm
1. Darius Boyd
1. Henry Raiwalui ©
2. Jason Nightingale
2. Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa
3. Chase Stanley
3. Dean Whare
4. Matt Cooper
4. Kane Linnett
5. Wendell Sailor
5. Joe Vickory
6. Jamie Soward
6. Brock McGarity
7. Ben Hornby ©
7. Beau Henry
8. Justin Poore
8. Wes Suckley
9. Dean Young
9. Cameron King
10. Michael Weyman
10. Ken Edwards
11. Beau Scott
11. Jake Marketo
12. Ben Creagh
12. Brad Hudson
13. Jeremy Smith
13. Clifford Morris

14. Dan Hunt
14. Thomas Hancock
15. Matt Prior
15. Shannon Wakeman
16. Luke Priddis
16. Brock Dunn
17. Jarrod Saffy
17. Nathan Jones

As mentioned above from the dragons official website

leaguelover4

Juniors
St George Bank Dragons Coach Wayne Bennett has today announced his team to clash with the Storm in Round 1 of the Telstra Premiership for the Emergency Services Cup at Olympic Park, Melbourne this Friday night.
Newly appointed Captain Ben Hornby will start his first match of the year at halfback with new recruits Darius Boyd, Michael Weyman, Jeremy Smith and Luke Priddis all named to make their Dragons debut.
“It has been a long pre-season and everyone is excited that the first game of the year is just about here,” said Hornby. “The Storm will be a tough first-up test but a challenge that we are all looking forward too”.
The Emergency Services Cup will now be contested between the two teams each time they meet in recognition of all Emergency Services personnel who give their services to the communities of both Victoria and New South Wales with the support of the Victorian and New South Wales State Government.
At the Round One clash, the Storm will wear special commemorative jerseys that will feature a yellow ribbon embroidered into them, with each player’s jersey to be auctioned off to raise money for the Bushfire Relief Appeal.
In the corresponding clash in Round 21 at WIN Jubilee Oval, the Dragons jersey’s will be embroided with the yellow ribbon.
“The Emergency Services across our nation play a vital role in supporting our communities,” said Doust.
“While justifiably in recent times we have all focused on Victoria, there will always be a need for these valuable services somewhere.
“The Dragons would like to play a part in recognising their role and contribution – the people who give and the people who deliver.”
Round 1
NRL v Storm
Friday, March 13 2009
7.35pm
Round 1
Toyota Cup v Storm
Friday, March 13 2009
5.35pm
1. Darius Boyd
1. Henry Raiwalui ©
2. Jason Nightingale
2. Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa
3. Chase Stanley
3. Dean Whare
4. Matt Cooper
4. Kane Linnett
5. Wendell Sailor
5. Joe Vickory
6. Jamie Soward
6. Brock McGarity
7. Ben Hornby ©
7. Beau Henry
8. Justin Poore
8. Wes Suckley
9. Dean Young
9. Cameron King
10. Michael Weyman
10. Ken Edwards
11. Beau Scott
11. Jake Marketo
12. Ben Creagh
12. Brad Hudson
13. Jeremy Smith
13. Clifford Morris

14. Dan Hunt
14. Thomas Hancock
15. Matt Prior
15. Shannon Wakeman
16. Luke Priddis
16. Brock Dunn
17. Jarrod Saffy
17. Nathan Jones

As mentioned above from the dragons official website

Nice cut and paste
Nice cut and paste :lol:

Jasdragon

Juniors
Not posted on the Dragons website so I don't know how official this side is but League HQ seems a legit enough source, right?

Bennett's first selection shock

The team is: Darius Boyd; Jason Nightingale, Matt Cooper, Chase Stanley, Wendell Sailor; Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby (capt); Justin Poore, Dean Young, Michael Weyman, Beau Scott, Ben Creagh, Jeremy Smith. Res: Luke Priddis, Jarrod Saffy, Matt Prior, Dan Hunt.

The only thing wrong with that side is Stanley he should not be there. Would rather Morris or Boyd there and Lett on the wing.

Last edited:

Jasdragon

Juniors
Yeah I no just sore it. Oh well at least one of the two players, I don't rate didn't get named (Head) :).

Ray Parlour

Juniors
Looks like Saint Benny is sending Trent Merrin to NSW cup to get him primed for first grade.

Nice. Hopefully he goes alright against the big boys.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A little easier to read Dave:

Round 1 - NRL
Dragons v Storm
Friday, March 13 2009
7.35pm

1. Darius Boyd
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Chase Stanley
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby ©
8. Justin Poore
9. Dean Young
10. Michael Weyman
11. Beau Scott
12. Ben Creagh
13. Jeremy Smith

14. Dan Hunt
15. Matt Prior
16. Luke Priddis
17. Jarrod Saffy

Round 1 - Toyota Cup
Dragons v Storm
Friday, March 13 2009
5.35pm

1. Henry Raiwalui ©
2. Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa
3. Dean Whare
4. Kane Linnett
5. Joe Vickory
6. Brock McGarity
7. Beau Henry
8. Wes Suckley
9. Cameron King
10. Ken Edwards
11. Jake Marketo
12. Brad Hudson
13. Clifford Morris

14. Thomas Hancock
15. Shannon Wakeman
16. Brock Dunn
17. Nathan Jones

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=17542

I am suprised that Matt Prior and Jarred Saffy made the starting line-up. They both offer the same during a game, and I would have thought Nev would have a better fit to the starting side. Then again, I'm not St Wayne of Kogarah.

Also suprised to see Beau Henry in the 7 for Presidents Cup. A thought process by St Wayne?

Last edited:

mightydragon

Juniors
Costigan has not done enough to make our pack as yet. IMO he didn't do anything substantial in the Charity Shield (but who did?). Although I was not there at the Shellharbour game, I can't believe someone could say that he had a fine game considering they got flogged 70-4.

MattYg1

Bench
Well... he may of played well in a losing side... it is a possibility...

regardless, he hasnt done enough to earn that spot yet... he'll come good though... he's a good kid, but the kids not fit...!

boxa777

Coach
I am suprised that Matt Prior and Jarred Saffy made the starting line-up. They both offer the same during a game, and I would have thought Nev would have a better fit to the starting side. Then again, I'm not St Wayne of Kogarah.

Yeh was thinking the same.. however in the Charity Costigan made a few mistakes and obviously Bennett is still not yet convinced that they're out of his game. If there is any game where a team cannot afford unforced errors, it's Melbourne in Melbourne..

Rastafarian

Bench
Awesome line up. Can't wait for the game, it'll be a cracker.

I wonder if the odds will go down after the team line up is announced... Anyone know? Thanks

dragon-83

Juniors
I reckon Morris should have got the fullback position where is a proven peformer cause Boyd could struggle.

Cagey Mac

Bench

Also suprised to see Beau Henry in the 7 for Presidents Cup. A thought process by St Wayne?

Costigan made mistakes in the CS almost every time that he touched the ball and gave away at least one silly penalty. Saffy was very solid. Prior got one brilliant pass away which had Boyd in clear space, alas he dropped it cold. He also made a bone jarring tackle in his limited time on the paddock. Remember also that Weyman is at best a 35 minute player with 20 and then probably 15 minute spells. Prior is 107 Kg and very strong. The selection of Smith at lock who with Creagh and Scott out wide, will hopefully keep Inglis honest whilst affording Sowie some cover is also the reason for the high rotation front row policy.
No flies on Benny!

The Preacher

First Grade
Awesome line up. Can't wait for the game, it'll be a cracker.

I wonder if the odds will go down after the team line up is announced... Anyone know? Thanks

Normally Rasta it's only weight of money punted that will change the odds. The only other thing that can influence them is the withdrawal of star players and being replaced by rookies in key positions.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Mate Matt Prior is a dangerous player for us & he's only going to get better.

They have all been picked on form - not reputation. And f**k me - that is so refreshing.

SaintScotty

Juniors
I can definitely see Matt Prior having a big career. I can't believe he's 107 kilos. Is this correct?

Agree about Costigan not being up to round 1. I think he will work his way into the team by round 5 or so. I think he could be deadly playing 30 minutes from the bench.

Pity about Morris but that's life.

Latest posts