What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Round 1 Team Announced?

CreaghzyMark

Juniors
a mate of mine is close with high up bulldogs officials and has told me that apparently in picking up josh morris they told him that they would offer brett a contract the following year and not the same due to salary cap. they grew up playin together so cant see them not wanting to stay brothers in arms so i wouldnt be surprised if he does leave...

on our team this weekend i cant complain with wayne bennett, he is the coach and isnt taking no orders from peter doust which is great to see...

SET2JT

Juniors
look at whos ref its gavin badger the same guy we had last time we played the storm. cant belive he has this game!

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Only 17 players were going to make the team, some had to miss out. I have confidence in Wayne Bennett as a coach If this team does not do the job and gets hammered, (which i very much doubt it will), Then i expect that bennett wont muck around and make the changes that need to be made. To get a constant winning team out there week after week.
As for Morris, Costigan, Pea and Head you will see them in first grade at some stage all will do well playing for Shell Harbour Dragons.

Steel Dragon

Bench
As much as Wendell brings to the game - dont you think theres plenty of younger guys better than him?

Unless he got ALOT fitter and faster in the offseason, I am very skeptical of him holding his position. I hope he has though. Was a quality player as much as I hated him (im bris and qld)

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Morris will replace Wendell soon as speed is crucial in the current game.

It's Wendell's last season so why would Brett leave when he would be guaranteed a starting spot next season. Playing under Bennett will surely be a motivator as well. Not too many leave playing under Bennett. And when they do they only come back ala Hodges, Thorne, Langer, etc.

big pat

Coach
As much as Wendell brings to the game - dont you think theres plenty of younger guys better than him?

Unless he got ALOT fitter and faster in the offseason, I am very skeptical of him holding his position. I hope he has though. Was a quality player as much as I hated him (im bris and qld)

don't know if you were at win for the trial against the dogs, but from what i saw he would not be in my first 17.

tevoro

First Grade
Feel bad for Morris considering he had a relatively good season. (n I picked him for my fantasy league... gotta change that now!!! )

Wendell could be used off the Bench in my opinion as he could cover both the backrow and wing positions. The only problem is we already have a strong forward oriented bench.

rushndude

Bench
Im sure Wendell has been doing soemthing right, Bennett would just risk choosing him because he is 'The Dell'.

Morris from what i can remember was a bit of a spoilt sport last season when he was having a hard time getting a start early last season, and someone said he was asking for a release if he couldnt get a start in first grade within the first few rounds.

Bennett might have seen this side of him and not liked it. You dont just get gifted a spot in first grade, you have to earn it.

Having said that i think Morris is a damn good winger, and he'll be there soon enough, if he keeps fighting for it and not give up.

Cagey Mac

Bench
One of the Dragons problems all too often is running the ball out of our danger zone when we are under pressure. Morris and others often got smashed when opposition defences get in our faces and our forwards are tired. Big Dell is also quick Dell being the 2nd fastest behind Sowie over 40 metres in the club. Trying to stop Dell at 112 kg (Morris is 91 BTW) at full tilt, pulls more opposition defence to too him and gives other team members a little more room. Remember Jeremy Hickmans rates the likes of Weyman as 20 minute impact players (at best) so that extra forward that Dell provides will be needed more often than when Ryles who did majorminutes (often 60+) was around

watatank

Coach
if Dell gets dropped i wanna see Michael Lett get a start ahead of Morris. What do you guys think?

I don't particularly rate Lett but he's had a good off season and is probably the safer option at this point in time. But I think Morris is the better player, he just needs confidence which I am sure he will gain playing for Shellharbour and once he gets that I am sure he will play FG.

Godz Illa

Coach
One of the Dragons problems all too often is running the ball out of our danger zone when we are under pressure. Morris and others often got smashed when opposition defences get in our faces and our forwards are tired. Big Dell is also quick Dell being the 2nd fastest behind Sowie over 40 metres in the club. Trying to stop Dell at 112 kg (Morris is 91 BTW) at full tilt, pulls more opposition defence to too him and gives other team members a little more room. Remember Jeremy Hickmans rates the likes of Weyman as 20 minute impact players (at best) so that extra forward that Dell provides will be needed more often than when Ryles who did majorminutes (often 60+) was around
I agree that the extra forward aspect is a benefit of Dell (despite his occasional penchant for running sideways), but I didn't see Morris or Nightingale get smashed all that often bringing the ball out of our end - it's a strength for both of them. Indeed, for kick returns (not quite what you're referring to but similar), Saints led the league in 2008, with 108.9 metres per match.

big pat

Coach
two things that worry me about ding dong dell,is his hands and his tackling,if he can improve these two area's then yes he will be good for us, on michael lett he has done nothing wrong on what i have seen of him,would be in 1st grade elsewhere, but the old saying you can't pick everyone. if anything happens to nighty or dell, then surely lett and morris will be waiting in the wings.

petetheileet

First Grade
I agree that the extra forward aspect is a benefit of Dell (despite his occasional penchant for running sideways), but I didn't see Morris or Nightingale get smashed all that often bringing the ball out of our end - it's a strength for both of them. Indeed, for kick returns (not quite what you're referring to but similar), Saints led the league in 2008, with 108.9 metres per match.

That quote honestly doesnt surprize me...

But Morris cant catch

Nightingale would be one of the best returners in the game, he hits and spins and twists and fights for every inch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux5Odrt8J10&feature=related

If we had a team full of Nightingales, just varying in size, mate we would win the comp!

Latest posts