What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Shirt worth $1MIL

***MH***

Bench
Dragon shirt worth a million
By Dean Ritchie
February 16, 2004

THE only two NRL clubs to have won trophies this season - St George Illawarra and the Wests Tigers - amazingly remain without a major sponsor just 25 days before the NRL season starts.

St George Illawarra believe they can attract offers of $1 million a year to sponsor one of rugby league's most famous and traditional jumpers.

Wests Tigers are more conservative, looking at selling the front of their jumper for about $600,000 a season.

St George Illawarra grabbed the season's second piece of silverware with a 34-8 hammering of South Sydney in the annual Charity Shield match before more than 21,000 fans at Aussie Stadium on Saturday night.

The Wests Tigers pinched the World Sevens trophy a fortnight before.

St George Illawarra are searching after Integral Energy withdrew after four years as major sponsor.

"These things take some time - this is the time of year when companies are doing their budgets for 2004 and 2005," said Dragons chief executive Peter Doust.

"We hope to have something in place by the kick-off of the premiership. We're looking for a longterm partner.

"The Dragons have only had three sponsors in our history - Penfolds, Newmans Motors and Integral.

"We believe as a club we should be at the forefront of the game - the Dragons' jumper is an icon of Australian sport.

"We're looking for premium dollars - we're not going to give away the jumper cheap. Corporations are looking at the game again so we see it is an opportunity, not a problem."

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said his organisation was unconcerned at the vacant Dragons jumper.

"They are looking for a satisfactory deal they think they can attract," Annesley said.

"The club knows what funds they need to run a team. It's not something we get involved in.

"We can understand clubs taking their time to ensure they get maximum value."

Wests Tigers have had four sponsors in four years -Meriton, Don's Smallgoods, New Loan and Raddison Maine.

"The exciting thing is that rugby league is on a positive and the Wests Tigers are on a positive," said Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce.

"It is well known we have had four sponsors in four years. It would be good to get someone on board for a couple of years.

"We'll certainly have something in place before the start of the season."

The Dragons were highly impressive against Souths with five-eighth Trent Barrett returning successfully after a 10-month layoff due to a chronic foot injury.

Barrett only played 40 minutes but hurt the Rabbitohs, who were disappointing.

Souths were stung before kickoff when new recruits Adam MacDougall and Terry Hill withdrew due to a virus.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA 34 (M Cooper, T Barrett, H Perenara, N Blacklock, S Timmins, B Creagh tries; L Russell 4, M Riddell goals) SOUTH SYDNEY 8 (S Rigon, L Hookey tries) at Aussie Stadium.

The Daily Telegraph

You guys should approach BHP Billiton to sponsor. They've been out of league for awhile.

bubs

Juniors
I still think you should be sponsored by Centrelink.
The ONLY group to make a profit for YEARS in the Hurstville area and surrounds. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

drake

First Grade
ohohohoho
never heard that one before. Pretty rich coming from a shirescum. Employment is considered a swear word up there, and saying work is a good way to get into a fight.

Collateral

Coach
drake said:
ohohohoho
never heard that one before. Pretty rich coming from a shirescum. Employment is considered a swear word up there, and saying work is a good way to get into a fight.

:lol: :lol:

RICHO

Juniors
Yeah, a lot of the Dragons players live in "The Shire", they don't work much....
LOL

In regards to a sponsor that is going to pay $1 mil per season, good luck! I think that's asking a bit too much. Bordering on being VERY greedy actually. Recent results haven't put you guys in a position to ask for that much, and the "historical value" of your "red-V" doesn't warrant that as an asking price.

However, if you can get it, good luck to you I guess!

Godz Illa

Coach
The limb you're on might be a bit feeble, causing you to tumble all the way down and look like a bit of a goose.

Our jersey is priceless – we shouldn't allow any shitty two bob corporation to sully it with their crappy logo and name.

Not for a million dollars, not for a billion dollars…

Rant over.

RICHO

Juniors
Yeah? Go on then Denis... have no major sponsor. You can play against Newtown and Glebe!!

Honestly guys, I don't think that there's a club in Australia that is worth that much!
If you guys can get it then you've pulled the wool over someone's eyes and done it very well.

That's my opinion. You guys can disagree, I don't mind. I'm not suggesting for one second that I'm correct, just stating my opinion.

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm not one of those guys who bags the sh!t out of opposition clubs. I just say how I feel, and respect that others may have different opinions, and I may (just maybe on the off chance), be wrong (one day). :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
RICHO said:
In case you haven't figured it out, I'm not one of those guys who bags the sh!t out of opposition clubs. I just say how I feel, and respect that others may have different opinions, and I may (just maybe on the off chance), be wrong (one day). :lol:
Yeah well we're not too bright in here and we need guidance from the Clayton respected members.
btw, stop playing with our word filter.

RICHO

Juniors
Huh?? I've got no idea what you are talking about!!!
Maybe I'm the one that's not all that bright. :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
I still think St George Bank are short odds to be the jersey sponsor.
And it will happen before round one.

dimitri

First Grade
bubs said:
I still think you should be sponsored by Centrelink.
The ONLY group to make a profit for YEARS in the Hurstville area and surrounds. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if centrelink was making a profit

that would mean it would be giving out less money than it was taking in

which would mean there would be very few unemployed

another example of a stupid shire idiot making a fool of himself

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Red Bear

Referee
Mighty Heighty said:
You guys should approach BHP Billiton to sponsor. They've been out of league for awhile.
BHP won't sponser the Dragons. They pulled out of league after the Steelers went. Pity about that.

Anonymous

Juniors
Well thats relevant. I presume you were king of the working class that day GTB?
Oh thats right, you're just a troll looking for anything, no matter how insignificant, to kick the Steelers can. Shame on you.

Latest posts