What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Team of the Noughties

The Nick

Bench
Coach: I know everybody loves Uncle Wayne, but Nathan Brown was/is a Saint through and through. He was an intelligent and astute coach who helped develop many of the players who feature in this team, from promising juniors into fully fledged NRL players. He was instrumental in recruiting Wendell Sailor and Jamie Soward, he helped develop Ben Creagh from a rangy winger into a dominant second rower, recruited Brent Kite as a reserve grade 2nd rower and helped develop him into one of the NRL's dominant props, plus he handed NRL debuts to the likes of Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, and the Morris twins. Under his reign we featured in many finals series and got as far as the Preliminaries on two occasions.

1) Ben Hornby - Couldn't name a team of the noughties without this former Test and Origin player. Like Nathan Brown, Ben Hornby is a Saint through and through. Whilst he may not be considered in the top echelon of NRL halfbacks or fullbacks, his value to the club cannot be questioned. You'll recall during the 2005 season when Matt Head ruptured his ACL early in the season, and Ben Hornby selflessly moved from his much preferred fullback position to take over the halfback duties. He ended up leading us as far as the preliminary finals, virtually unheard of for a team losing their first choice halfback.

2) Nathan Blacklock - what Saints fan didn't love the Tingha Express? A real crowd pleaser, Nathan Blacklock loved to set the flanks alight with his blistering speed and elusiveness, and alongside Anthony Mundine helped invent the Post Try Celebration with a heap back flips and gymnastic shennanigans. One of the best wingers to never play Origin, and who could forget THAT TRY off a kick return during the 99 Grand Final - even the Camera Man lost sight of him for a split second!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnU8UcDbkzk)

3) Mark Gasnier - not a lot of room for debate here, arguably one of the best centres to pull on the Red V since his legendary Uncle.

4) Paul McGregor - Trent Barrett rates 'Mary' as the best player he's ever played alongside. Considering 'Baz' has played alongside names such as Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer and Ben Kennedy, these words should not be taken lightly! 'Mary' always got the job done and players loved being in the trenches with him.

5) Wendell Sailor - Perhaps a debatable selection here given he only played 2 seasons at the back end of his career, but what Internation Dell did for the Mighty Saints on and off the field was invaluable. From boosting the STGI profile, to engagement of community and fans, to taking Jamie Soward under his wing and teaching him how to swagger, Dell proved to be a real God-send. There'll always be a wing position for Dell on my STGI team of the noughties.

6) Trent Barrett - the criticism magnet, the reason why Saints lost so many games, they say. But stuff 'em, if 'Baz' was ever guilty of anything it was simply trying to hard. No honest man could ever say Trent Barrett didn't give his absolute all everytime he pulled on the Red V. On his day, there wasn't a 5/8 more dominant in the NRL. Go watch Rd 23, season 2005 Broncos v Dragons if you don't believe me.

7) Jamie Soward - such a cute little teddy bear of a player, what's this little guy doing in the NRL? Well don't be fooled cos this little guy has the head of a seasoned coach and the heart of a lion. He knows football and he can play! I still remember his debut in the Red V, where he was a mid-week signing prior to Round 12, 2007. He was signed on Tuesday, trained with the boys on Wednesday then on Friday, with St George missing 11 regular first graders, and Brisbane fielding a full strength team, Soward led the under-strength Saints to a gruelling 11-4 victory.

8) Luke Bailey – The Bull, an unrelenting front rower who always gave his all for the club. This former Test and Origin front rower quickly built up a reputation as a tough, rugged and unforgiving hombre. One of the premier props of the noughties.

9) Mark Riddell – A crafty playmaker in a front rowers body, a damn near freak of nature. Loved a bourbon and coke, loved a pie, but boy could he play. Winning games and entertaining fans was what ‘Piggy’s’ reputation was built on, but don’t be fooled because he loved to roll up the sleeves and do the hard stuff to. Saints fans have fond memories of Piggy Riddell charging onto the ball at full steam and sending defenders scattering like skittles.

10) Jason Ryles – This much maligned man mountain was the subject of a lot of criticism throughout his career in the Red V, but statistics don’t lie. His wardrobe full of Test and Origin jerseys, plus the dent he left in Shane Webcke during one Origin series are all testament to this guys chops as a footy player. During his last season with STGI in 2008, he was easily one of the premier props in the NRL, despite his omissions from the rep teams.

11) Ben Creagh – Has been a solid and loyal player ever since he started his career on the wing with the Dragons, but in 2009 he really stepped it up, displaying his dominance at both club and Origin level. Will be a fixture of Origin and Test teams well into the future, and possibly a future Dragons captain.

12) Lance Thompson – This guy is literally Red & White. St George through and through, Thompson should have retired at Kogarah with full honours, but instead was cast aside in one of the most ugly events in St George’s recent history. Possibly the only player to ever earn a cheer at Kogarah whilst wearing a scum jersey.

13) Shaun Timmins – Another player who gave his absolute all for the club. Towards the back end of his career he was completely unable to run during the week due to the complete degeneration of cartilage in his knees, saving it all for 80mins of hell each weekend. A Test and Origin mainstay throughout his career, often considered amongst the top echelon of backrowers during the back end of his career.

Reserves:

Wayne Bartrim – A great goalkicking lock or hooker who was a mainstay of QLD Origin sides.
Lincoln Withers – A bit of personal bias here, I just love this guy! Remember the hit he put on Tonie Carroll?
Anthony Mundine – Love him or hate him, everyone loves what he did to the Sharks during the 1999 preliminary final.
Matt Cooper – Would have liked him to be in the run on side, but how do you leave out Mary McGregor?

Acka

Coach
Coach: I know everybody loves Uncle Wayne, but Nathan Brown was/is a Saint through and through. He was an intelligent and astute coach who helped develop many of the players who feature in this team, from promising juniors into fully fledged NRL players. He was instrumental in recruiting Wendell Sailor and Jamie Soward, he helped develop Ben Creagh from a rangy winger into a dominant second rower, recruited Brent Kite as a reserve grade 2nd rower and helped develop him into one of the NRL's dominant props, plus he handed NRL debuts to the likes of Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, and the Morris twins. Under his reign we featured in many finals series and got as far as the Preliminaries on two occasions.

1) Ben Hornby - Couldn't name a team of the noughties without this former Test and Origin player. Like Nathan Brown, Ben Hornby is a Saint through and through. Whilst he may not be considered in the top echelon of NRL halfbacks or fullbacks, his value to the club cannot be questioned. You'll recall during the 2005 season when Matt Head ruptured his ACL early in the season, and Ben Hornby selflessly moved from his much preferred fullback position to take over the halfback duties. He ended up leading us as far as the preliminary finals, virtually unheard of for a team losing their first choice halfback.

2) Nathan Blacklock - what Saints fan didn't love the Tingha Express? A real crowd pleaser, Nathan Blacklock loved to set the flanks alight with his blistering speed and elusiveness, and alongside Anthony Mundine helped invent the Post Try Celebration with a heap back flips and gymnastic shennanigans. One of the best wingers to never play Origin, and who could forget THAT TRY off a kick return during the 99 Grand Final - even the Camera Man lost sight of him for a split second!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnU8UcDbkzk)

3) Mark Gasnier - not a lot of room for debate here, arguably one of the best centres to pull on the Red V since his legendary Uncle.

4) Paul McGregor - Trent Barrett rates 'Mary' as the best player he's ever played alongside. Considering 'Baz' has played alongside names such as Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer and Ben Kennedy, these words should not be taken lightly! 'Mary' always got the job done and players loved being in the trenches with him.

5) Wendell Sailor - Perhaps a debatable selection here given he only played 2 seasons at the back end of his career, but what Internation Dell did for the Mighty Saints on and off the field was invaluable. From boosting the STGI profile, to engagement of community and fans, to taking Jamie Soward under his wing and teaching him how to swagger, Dell proved to be a real God-send. There'll always be a wing position for Dell on my STGI team of the noughties.

6) Trent Barrett - the criticism magnet, the reason why Saints lost so many games, they say. But stuff 'em, if 'Baz' was ever guilty of anything it was simply trying to hard. No honest man could ever say Trent Barrett didn't give his absolute all everytime he pulled on the Red V. On his day, there wasn't a 5/8 more dominant in the NRL. Go watch Rd 23, season 2005 Broncos v Dragons if you don't believe me.

7) Jamie Soward - such a cute little teddy bear of a player, what's this little guy doing in the NRL? Well don't be fooled cos this little guy has the head of a seasoned coach and the heart of a lion. He knows football and he can play! I still remember his debut in the Red V, where he was a mid-week signing prior to Round 12, 2007. He was signed on Tuesday, trained with the boys on Wednesday then on Friday, with St George missing 11 regular first graders, and Brisbane fielding a full strength team, Soward led the under-strength Saints to a gruelling 11-4 victory.

8) Luke Bailey – The Bull, an unrelenting front rower who always gave his all for the club. This former Test and Origin front rower quickly built up a reputation as a tough, rugged and unforgiving hombre. One of the premier props of the noughties.

9) Mark Riddell – A crafty playmaker in a front rowers body, a damn near freak of nature. Loved a bourbon and coke, loved a pie, but boy could he play. Winning games and entertaining fans was what ‘Piggy’s’ reputation was built on, but don’t be fooled because he loved to roll up the sleeves and do the hard stuff to. Saints fans have fond memories of Piggy Riddell charging onto the ball at full steam and sending defenders scattering like skittles.

10) Jason Ryles – This much maligned man mountain was the subject of a lot of criticism throughout his career in the Red V, but statistics don’t lie. His wardrobe full of Test and Origin jerseys, plus the dent he left in Shane Webcke during one Origin series are all testament to this guys chops as a footy player. During his last season with STGI in 2008, he was easily one of the premier props in the NRL, despite his omissions from the rep teams.

11) Ben Creagh – Has been a solid and loyal player ever since he started his career on the wing with the Dragons, but in 2009 he really stepped it up, displaying his dominance at both club and Origin level. Will be a fixture of Origin and Test teams well into the future, and possibly a future Dragons captain.

12) Lance Thompson – This guy is literally Red & White. St George through and through, Thompson should have retired at Kogarah with full honours, but instead was cast aside in one of the most ugly events in St George’s recent history. Possibly the only player to ever earn a cheer at Kogarah whilst wearing a scum jersey.

13) Shaun Timmins – Another player who gave his absolute all for the club. Towards the back end of his career he was completely unable to run during the week due to the complete degeneration of cartilage in his knees, saving it all for 80mins of hell each weekend. A Test and Origin mainstay throughout his career, often considered amongst the top echelon of backrowers during the back end of his career.

Reserves:

Wayne Bartrim – A great goalkicking lock or hooker who was a mainstay of QLD Origin sides.
Lincoln Withers – A bit of personal bias here, I just love this guy! Remember the hit he put on Tonie Carroll?
Anthony Mundine – Love him or hate him, everyone loves what he did to the Sharks during the 1999 preliminary final.
Matt Cooper – Would have liked him to be in the run on side, but how do you leave out Mary McGregor?

Mark Gasnier and Matt Cooper made their debut when David Waite and Andrew Farrar were co coaches

Goddo

Bench
My squad would look like

Coach:Wayne Bennett

1) Ben Hornby
2) Nathan Blacklock
3) Paul McGregor
4) Mark Gasnier
5) Lee Hookey
6) Anthony Mundine
7) Trent Barrett
8) Luke Bailey
9) Nathan Brown
10) Michael Weyman
11) Lance Thompson
12) Ben Creagh
13) Brad Mackay

Rest of 25 man squad...
Dean Young, Shaun Timmins, Jason Ryles, Mark Riddel, Lincoln Withers, Luke Patten, Matt Cooper, Brett Morris, Jamie Soward, Brent Kite... I will be gracious here and let Wayne Bennett pick the last 2 spots in the side.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
1. Ben Hornby
2. Nathan Blacklock
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Morris
6. Trent Barrett
7. Jamie Soward
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Brown
10. Jason Ryles
11. Lance Thompson
12. Ben Creagh
13. Shaun Timmins

14. Justin Poore
15. Michael Weyman
16. Mark Riddell
17. Dean Young

Imagine having that side running out in 2010 when they were at their peak. Would deadset be unbeatable I reckon.

1. Hornby
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. McGregor
5. Blacklock

6. Mundine
7. Soward

8. Bailey
9. Riddell
10. Ryles
11. Creagh
12. Timmins
13. McKay

14. Kite
15. Smith
16. Thompson
17. Barrett

C. Bennett

Goldthorpe

Bench
01. HORNBY, Ben [201 games]
02. BLACKLOCK, Nathan [88]
03. GASNIER, Mark [141]
04. COOPER, Matt [180]
05. MORRIS, Brett [62]
06. SOWARD, Jamie [59]
07. BARRETT, Trent [127]
08. BAILEY, Luke [119]
09. YOUNG, Dean [146]
10. RYLES, Jason [156]
11. THOMPSON, Lance [109]
12. CREAGH, Ben [129]
13. TIMMINS, Shaun [102]

14. RIDDELL, Mark [92]
15. POORE, Justin [128]
16. SMITH, Craig [32]
17. BARTRIM, Wayne [47]

Coach: Wayne Bennett

The Nick

Bench
I notice a few people have put Cooper in their starting line-up. I'm interested to hear thoughts as to why they feel Cooper deserves a start over Mary McGregor?

I know he only played 1 or 2 seasons but I thought he'd be a shoe-in for a start in most people's opinions?

Godz Illa

Coach
I notice a few people have put Cooper in their starting line-up. I'm interested to hear thoughts as to why they feel Cooper deserves a start over Mary McGregor?

I know he only played 1 or 2 seasons but I thought he'd be a shoe-in for a start in most people's opinions?
I'd pick Cooper as well. And not just because he's played more games this decade. Achievements-wise Coops exceeds Mary.

More FG games. More tries. More Tests. Similar amount of Origins

Was always a fan of the way McGregor could set up a 2nd phase play. Has my pick over Cooper for sheer attack value. Also a seasoned performer in the big games.

watatank

Coach
I was as much a fan of McGregor as anyone on here but he should be nowhere near this team unless you want him ahead of Gasnier. He played one, maybe two years this decade and he was past his best. Cooper has played pretty much the whole decade and he has done just as much as McGregor ever did. If we're comparing careers it'd be close but we're comparing performances this decade and it's not even close. I'd go as far to say that he should be the first centre picked in this team.

marty_dragon

Juniors
1. Hornby
2. Blacklock
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. B.Morris
6. Mundine
7. Soward
8. Bailey
9. Brown
10. Ryles