What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to swoop for local junior Cronulla’s Jack Bird

mickeylane

Bench
I think bird is angling for an immediate release this year which means we will pull out of the Roberts dealings and Bird goes straight to FB or Right Centre

QUOTE=getsmarty;11265466;31120]Jack Bird aims to sort NRL future by Christmas

December 11, 2015 8:00pmCHRISTIAN NICOLUSSIThe Daily Telegraph
origin:video_integrator.k0Z2pneTqXnAQ1rsXgUN0K3Ic-dWk8Aj

JACK Bird will make a call on his future before Christmas, but Cronulla officials said they “wouldn’t a hold a gun to his head’’ as the rookie of the year also weighs up a lucrative offer from St George Illawarra.
The race to sign Bird is down to the Dragons and Sharks, with the latter holding a fresh round of contract talks with the youngster yesterday.
Cronulla boss Lyall Gorman made a clear statement when he told The Saturday Telegraph “our club is on the move, and we play second cousin to nobody’’.

Gorman also wanted Bird to commit because “he wants to be here, not because we held a gun to his head’’.

Bird has been given several options by the Shire club, including a one year, two year and three-year deal.
A decision has dragged on for a couple of months, but Bird has indicated he’ll have a final answer before Christmas.
“What we want to do is give Jack the time to come to his own conclusion, and we’ve never wanted to hold a gun to his head and put a deadline on things,’’ Gorman said.
“We want him to be part of our club moving forward. We haven’t applied any pressure.
“I’ve never been a fan of deadlines on players, unless it’s having an impact on the club as a whole, and Jack’s situation hasn’t done that as yet.
“It’s well documented St George Illawarra are pursuing him, but we remain optimistic and positive we’ll come to an appropriate conclusion, and one this side of Christmas.
“We met with him today and we’ll have another chat next week. We just wanted to reinforce a few things for him so he’s got the full confidence and understanding of where the club is heading on a raft of fronts.
“We want to show players we’re not a last resort, and we play second cousin to nobody.’’

The Dragons’ signing of Tim Lafai yesterday will do little to dent the joint venture’s pursuit of Bird. The 20-year-old Wollongong junior is tight with Dragons coach Paul McGregor and star fullback Josh Dugan.
However, Bird is also close with several of his Cronulla teammates, and ditched the Dragons in the first place for the chance to play first grade.
He enjoys playing five-eighth, where he starred for the Sharks in his rookie season, and fullback, where he’s been training in recent months.

But given the depth in the halves and fullback at Cronulla, Bird could pay the price for his versatility by being shifted to his non-preferred centre or lock forward positions.
Cronulla also have experienced trio Mick Ennis, Luke Lewis and skipper Paul Gallen off contract at the end of 2016. They have a combined 764 NRL games between them, but Gorman said talks were yet to commence with any of those topliners.
Jeff Robson, the man who partnered Bird in the halves before he linked with the New Zealand Warriors, said his former teammate was ‘’an outstanding kid who I have a lot of time for’’.
“He’s great with the ball in his hands, and he’s a naturally-gifted footballer,’’ Robson said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ry-fni3gol8-1227642336837#load-story-comments[/QUOTE]

WHOOSHKAA!!

Juniors
I really don't see the sense in signing Benji for another year.
Dont get me wrong i think Benji has been fantastic for the dragons but to tie up another $500k for a season on a great but ageing player would be a massive mistake given the young talent available and coming throughout the ranks.
Our club has made many mistakes on the recruitment front in recent years but they r now assembling an impressive roster. I think the addition of Bird on a long term deal is critical for the long term success of the team. So i say bye bye Benji

cussy

Juniors
Sometimes having a player like benji's brings other benefits ie media exposure due to his commitments also by all accounts he is the life of the party and generally a good day to be around.

BigBoss

Juniors
According to the stats Benji was the 2nd best in try assists & 3rd best in line break assists this year.

If we didn't have him imagine how many points we would have scored. We would have been a disgrace in attack; a total embarrassment.

He's still got a good 3 or 4 years left in him, I recon we decide on how good his form is going next year before making a decision. We don't need to be too hasty because he has been great for us during a time where we needed direction and experience.

I think he still has an important role to play yet.

In saying that I would definitely like to see Bird in there somewhere, whether at fullback, center, 5/8, 2nd row. We'll see how that pans out.

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

Article 2 weeks ago mentioned that discussions have begun with Widdop (as well as Dugan) to extend their stay. Benji was offered a single year contract despite publicly stating he wants to play for 3-4 more years. Its very obvious which one the club sees as important. Rightly so.

I'll ignore the rest of your dino-esque dribble. It's been addressed before and you aren't convincing anyone that any of it is remotely true, including (thankfully) the club.

Again, your meltdown when Mann plays fullback, Lafai plays centre, Bird is signed, Widdop is extended, Benji is let go, etc, is going to be great to watch!

Every good playmaker has at least several games where he has really dominated. FFS you idiot, can you or can you not point out any such games for Widdop, whether playing for Melbourne, England or St George?

V

Vasilevsky

According to the stats Benji was the 2nd best in try assists & 3rd best in line break assists this year.

If we didn't have him imagine how many points we would have scored. We would have been a disgrace in attack; a total embarrassment.

He's still got a good 3 or 4 years left in him, I recon we decide on how good his form is going next year before making a decision. We don't need to be too hasty because he has been great for us during a time where we needed direction and experience.

I think he still has an important role to play yet.

In saying that I would definitely like to see Bird in there somewhere, whether at fullback, center, 5/8, 2nd row. We'll see how that pans out.

Benji was sensational last season. There is no question. I would like to see his contract extended another 2 years. That would make him 33 at the end and a good time to see if:
1. Any other young halves in the club are demanding selection.
2. He is still playing even close to as well as he did last season.

Mary obviously disagrees with these +*?>&$% homies. Mary asked Benji to be captain when Creagh was out last season. Benji said on TV he rejected the request because he thought it would be disrespectful to a guy like Nightingale. Of course Widdop wasn't out and wasn't considered as captain........

Divine

Bench
Because it was their combination that was blamed for our stuttering attack. With a playmaker at FB and genuine strike power in the centres their combinations may find a more natural groove.

Puff2010

Juniors
Sometimes having a player like benji's brings other benefits ie media exposure due to his commitments also by all accounts he is the life of the party and generally a good day to be around.

I hear from players that Benji is a great positive influence both on and off the field. He is great with the younger players and always helping out. A true leader.
Bird would be an excellent acquisition and fit in well.

V

Vasilevsky

Because it was their combination that was blamed for our stuttering attack. With a playmaker at FB and genuine strike power in the centres their combinations may find a more natural groove.

I think the problem is that Widdop tries to overplay his hand in order to justify his hefty salary. After all, supercoach Price in his infinate wisdom, wanted him to be the main playmaker..... Widdop is a good foil for a good playmaker but isn't a good playmaker himself. If someone can point me to a game, playing for Melbourne, England or St George where he showed himself to be a really good playmaker, please do. I won't hold my breath. I have been asking for 6 months.

Hooper suggesting Bird is set to sign an extra year at Sharks. One year extra, definitely making sure he tests his value over next few years.

Country Dragon

Juniors
I think the problem is that Widdop tries to overplay his hand in order to justify his hefty salary. After all, supercoach Price in his infinate wisdom, wanted him to be the main playmaker..... Widdop is a good foil for a good playmaker but isn't a good playmaker himself. If someone can point me to a game, playing for Melbourne, England or St George where he showed himself to be a really good playmaker, please do. I won't hold my breath. I have been asking for 6 months.

Please do hold your breath. I'll let you know when you can exhale!

Wittenberg

Juniors
Why does it always have to be about Benji vs Widdop, I thought they were on the same team!

Unfortunately you get the sense that it is all about ego with some forum members. If Widdop fails we get some forum members dancing for joy while others count Benji mistakes with glee. They work with each other as well as they can and put in100% for our club. I would like to see anyone seriously criticise either of them in that Canterbury game. Both injured, both magnificent but it seems to me that it is in vogue to bash one or the other.

RED73V

Juniors
You are off your Fu#€£ng head Vaseline anyone with half a football brain would choose Widdop over Bunji every day of the week,. Get over your bromance with Bunji & step into the real world homie . Any footballer who has the international experience & years that Bunji has would surely step up like Thurston , Slater , Smith etc & make better decisions on the field instead of throwing passes into the 5th row & trying that miracle play like a born again eighteen year old. He needs to play at his age NOW NOT IN HIS PAST . YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON THAT CANT EXCEPT THIS VASELINE WAKE UP .](*,)](*,):iwstupid::iwstupid::BDH

St Georgio

Juniors
You are off your Fu#?£ng head Vaseline anyone with half a football brain would choose Widdop over Bunji every day of the week,. Get over your bromance with Bunji & step into the real world homie . Any footballer who has the international experience & years that Bunji has would surely step up like Thurston , Slater , Smith etc & make better decisions on the field instead of throwing passes into the 5th row & trying that miracle play like a born again eighteen year old. He needs to play at his age NOW NOT IN HIS PAST . YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON THAT CANT EXCEPT THIS VASELINE WAKE UP .](*,)](*,):iwstupid::iwstupid::BDH

Seek help.

the_saints

Juniors
Cronulla Sharks have withdrawn from their 3rd and final offer for jack bird and in their words "we aren't going to hold a gun to his head " jack bird get ready to play with one of the fastest back line in the comp with Dugan Roberts lafia nighty and Mann all you need to do is kick the thing anywhere and it's a certain try your a future superstar so you need to be around a superstar environment

Latest posts