What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to target eels

fanaticeel

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ls-offload-kings/story-e6frexnr-1225871724017

Dragons to target Eels offload kings
723973-feleti-mateo.jpg

Spark ... Feleti Mateo. Source: The Daily Telegraph

PARRAMATTA offload kings Feleti Mateo and Nathan Cayless will be targeted by St George Illawarra on Friday night as the Dragons look to continue their dominance over last year's finals nemesis.

With both sides sweating on the return of eight Origin stars for Friday night's game at WIN Jubilee, the Dragons have the cross-hairs trained on the Eels duo, whose offloads in traffic shape as one of the major threats to the competition's best-drilled defence.

Mateo has risen from an early-season slumber in recent weeks with his move to the Warriors next year finalised and Wayne Bennett's men are wary of the danger the Eels lock poses.

"They play off the back of one or two - obviously Feleti is one of their stand-outs in that area, [Jarryd] Hayne is a stand-out in as well and Cayless [is the other]," Dragons winger Jason Nightingale said.

"It's just the majority of their team that have offloads in them and at certain times they are able to bring that out. But if you stop the first pass none of that stuff happens and it's just about locking the ball up in the first place and being good on first contact - otherwise they get a bit of momentum and play well off the back of that."

The Dragons and Eels enter Friday desperate to avoid back-to-back defeats after losses to Canberra and Cronulla last week and the job will only be made tougher with the absence of the Origin stars from training this week.

With Brett Morris, Matt Cooper, Ben Creagh, Michael Weyman, Darius Boyd and Neville Costigan involved, Nightingale said Wayne Bennett expects up to two of his stars to pull out, while the Eels will be wanting Blues pair Hayne and Timana Tahu.

Snoochies

First Grade
Don't know why, but I'm feeling more confident about this game than I did about the Sharks game. :?

Gronk

Staff member
Gee I hope they don't target both Cayless & Mateo. After all they are our most dangerous players. :sarcasm:

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't most teams be going in to each game with the intent of solid defense ensuring the ball is wrapped up to avoid offloads??? Great bit of journalism by the DT here.

oldmancraigy

Coach
To be fair to Cayless, he has 19 offloads on the season - which places him 3rd in our team.

Mateo leads the way with 24.

But the king of our second phase play has been Hindmarsh. He has 20 offloads on the season, but his are the ones in traffic in the middle of the field where he turns and flops the ball back to the hooker to start the second phase. (Cayless gets most of his this way too)

Mateo's offloads are more out wide on the fringes - EXTREMELY valuable, but probably not what the Dragons were talking about in that article.

Seems they forgot about Hindy - oopsie?

thommo4pm

Coach
You guys don't seriously think Saints would give away their tactics to the media do you?
Ever heard of mind games!!

You guys don't seriously think Saints would give away their tactics to the media do you?
Ever heard of mind games!!
we know all about mind games our former coach brian smith loved them although i think he often confused himself more than the opposition

yy_cheng

Coach
To be fair to Cayless, he has 19 offloads on the season - which places him 3rd in our team.

Mateo leads the way with 24.

But the king of our second phase play has been Hindmarsh. He has 20 offloads on the season, but his are the ones in traffic in the middle of the field where he turns and flops the ball back to the hooker to start the second phase. (Cayless gets most of his this way too)

Mateo's offloads are more out wide on the fringes - EXTREMELY valuable, but probably not what the Dragons were talking about in that article.

Seems they forgot about Hindy - oopsie?

Because hindy has a sternum problem and they probably think he won't playh

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
Don't know why, but I'm feeling more confident about this game than I did about the Sharks game. :?
I'm the same, not that I'm too confident about this game, I just wasn't confident about the Sharks game, with their record against us and our record in games we should win.
I was expecting a loss last week, they always seem to have 20 players on the field and play like the Globetrotters when they see an eels jersey. Why do they play their best games against us? did the Parra bus run over their pet shark or something?

Latest posts