What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons vs Hull

Dragsters

First Grade
They will start with the top 13 player and will give the e while squad a run.
The only guys who want get a run are people who are not over there if season injuries like mybe aitken.
But traibing this week will tell

Agree Sammy.

I would name the top 17 to run out and play at least the first 40, then make wholesale changes during the second half and give the remaining squad members a decent run in the second 40.

That way the top 17 get a good hit out and time to work on combos and get some decent match time and then the remaining players get a chance to show their value.

I would then take the same approach in the Charity Shield, with perhaps the top 17 given a little more time on field if necessary.

I reckon this approach give us the best chance of hitting the donkeys hard in round 1...

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Will there be a reserve grade curtain raiser for the game against Hull? If so than normal practice should prevail. Run out our best 13 for the first half and then give those close to first grade selection a run.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We only play 2 trials prior to a tough Rd 1 game against the Broncos.
So you think that unopposed training drills is sufficiently good enough for 2 high profile signings who have only just commenced training due to the break after the World Cup to fit into a brand new side with no hiccups?
RE making a statement, these players have come from long careers at other clubs and have been heralded by many fans as the players that will make a substantial difference to our chances.
The fans are deserving to see these players at the very 1st opportunity and the players are deserving of running out and showing all and sundry that they are now "ST GI" and are here to make that difference and watch out every other team as they are on a mission.
If trials don't matter then why do we play them at all?
I would love to see you go down and tell James Graham that he needs to be kept in cotton wool, that trials mean nothing and it doesn't matter if you win or lose. LOL you would need to book an ambulance for yourself.

Interesting OT that the Broncos have a trial this weekend and basically sending their entire reserve grade squad.

RufusRex

Post Whore
obviously need to have a decent 40 min with close to the top team

Would be looking at a few other things
Robson/Nichols at hooker for one
Field/Dufty at fullback
Lomax some time at centre some at wing

The more important trial will come against the Rabbits

Belta

Juniors
Normally for trials I'd love to see a plethora of juniors thrown in, and predominantly rest the big guns ( to minimise any season ending injuries)

Presently though I wouldn't take this approach. I wouldn't necessarily use our starting side, but would definitely have the spine and Graham out there. There is simply too many important combinations that need to be tested. Not only are they new but on top of this they have arrived late. It will take time for Hunt to form combinations with Widdop, McInnes, Dufty, forwards backs etc. needs to form combinations with his new team mates as does Graham albeit to a lesser extent.

Having said all this I'd like the wingers rested and try the youngsters, also give Field a full game, rest Aitken replaced by Lomax. The icing on the cake, is big minutes from Leilua and try some offloads to Dufty. Also short stints or rest Vaughan anda Frizzel.

Gareth67

First Grade
I will be interested in who will be in our pack and hope that both Duffy and Mann play big minutes. I think I would be giving Graham and Hunt very limited time on the field , too much to lose should either be injured ( Lord forbid ! ) . These early pre-season matches will be a great opportunity for the likes of Leilau to show his wares , I would be using him in as many of these games as possible.

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting OT that the Broncos have a trial this weekend and basically sending their entire reserve grade squad.
Well they can afford to do that as they are playing 1 more trial than us so they have an opportunity to see their fringe 1st graders.
Their preparation is better than ours as we have only 2 trials against a fully fledged ESL team and a contender for top 8 in the NRL so we don't have the same luxuries.
I am not advocating that the senior players play every minute of the trials but everyone of them should play some serious minutes in both trials.
The notion that Graham or Hunt doesn't need to play is ridiculous.

Redhoopz

Juniors
We only play 2 trials prior to a tough Rd 1 game against the Broncos.
So you think that unopposed training drills is sufficiently good enough for 2 high profile signings who have only just commenced training due to the break after the World Cup to fit into a brand new side with no hiccups?
RE making a statement, these players have come from long careers at other clubs and have been heralded by many fans as the players that will make a substantial difference to our chances.
The fans are deserving to see these players at the very 1st opportunity and the players are deserving of running out and showing all and sundry that they are now "ST GI" and are here to make that difference and watch out every other team as they are on a mission.
If trials don't matter then why do we play them at all?
I would love to see you go down and tell James Graham that he needs to be kept in cotton wool, that trials mean nothing and it doesn't matter if you win or lose. LOL you would need to book an ambulance for yourself.

I never did say I'd rather them do unopposed training drills. Considering Widdop and Graham played the whole World Cup, I don't think it's imperative they play in the first trial.

I agree that the fans are deserving to see the new recruits but i wouldn't be playing them for more than 40 mins. It's high risk, no reward. Other teams are hardly going to notice, or care about pre season form.

At the end of the day, the trials don't mean anything other than building match fitness, combinations and getting to try different players in different positions.

giboz71

First Grade
Widdop and Hunt need to play together, preferably in some sort of combination with McInnes and Dufty. The first time they all walk on to a field together shouldn't be Round 1.

Agreed. Combinations and chemistry of key players needs to happen quick smart.

We haven’t had that in a very long time.

giboz71

First Grade
I never did say I'd rather them do unopposed training drills. Considering Widdop and Graham played the whole World Cup, I don't think it's imperative they play in the first trial.

I agree that the fans are deserving to see the new recruits but i wouldn't be playing them for more than 40 mins. It's high risk, no reward. Other teams are hardly going to notice, or care about pre season form.

At the end of the day, the trials don't mean anything other than building match fitness, combinations and getting to try different players in different positions.

I agree. Don’t pay much attention to trials, especially given the new guys. We got belted in the Charity Shield last year when we were at the back end of getting flogged in pre season training. Then we went on to smash the Panthers in Round 1.

But don’t be surprised if this place melts down if we happen to get lapped in one or both games.

ouryear

Juniors
Well I believe we need to BEAT Hull,
I mean Hull could be saying the same, As in.... does it matter how we play, if we win who cares approach.

Great for the paying fans if that's the case, a soft friendly little game just for the hell of it

Geeze, I was brought up as a kid to do everything in my power.... to even win a damn backyard footy game.

Anyone who might think it doesn't matter, are just preparing themselves for excuses.

You got to go for the win in everything.

Or go home

Last edited:

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The NRL team needs to have two solid hit outs prior to Round 1. They need to get into the habit of winning as I think they only won 4 of their last 12 games in the second half of 2017. Mac Gregor
should not be able to use lack of match practice and unrefined combinations as an excuse.if they are thrashed by the Broncos in Round 1. He has had the whole summer to get things back on track and winning when you are unopposed on the training paddock is a red herring.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Seems like the BRONCOS fans not expecting a successful year the halves kicking game very poor and forwards lack size and mongrel ,on a side note Darren Nicholls was well judged good kicking game and defence aok .....

giboz71

First Grade
Well I believe we need to BEAT Hull,
I mean Hull could be saying the same, As in.... does it matter how we play, if we win who cares approach.

Great for the paying fans if that's the case, a soft friendly little game just for the hell of it

Geeze, I was brought up as a kid to do everything in my power.... to even win a damn backyard footy game.

Anyone who might think it doesn't matter, are just preparing themselves for excuses.

You got to go for the win in everything.

Or go home

Well the Storm just got beat in a closed door trial by the Knights today. That’s the premiers losing to the wooden spooners.

I somehow doubt Storm fans are too worried.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Seriously the storm reserve grade side no Smith ,Slater and a stack of others so I guess you can't take much notice .........trials theres trials and there is trials ......

Latest posts