What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drama over the next James Bond

Wizardman

First Grade
Because in the books, Moneypenny is a very minor character that Fleming hardly paid attention to and never physically described. It's given moviemakers license to play around with her character.

But they never invalidated Bond as a suave, white British guy. Obviously, different actors will give their own little twists on the character.

By this logic, there is license to also make Batman black, because West, Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale and Affleck were all a little different to eachother.

His codename is 007. Bond is his real name, his parent's names in the books are Andrew Bond and Monique Delacroix-Bond.

Please, you make Craig's Bond sound like a deadbeat bouncer in King's Cross.

They are not entirely different characters. Brosnan's Bond is white, British, around the 40 year mark, a womanizer, carefree, witty, and violent when he needs to be. Craig's Bond is white, British, around the 40 year mark, a womanizer, carefree, witty, and violent when he needs to be. Craig's Bond is a little more serious, but so what, it doesn't justify transforming his racial profile and family background.

Game over!!!! Best post in the whole thread!!!!

Wizardman

First Grade
Elba is as good if not better than any actor to have played Bond. However, lets try and be authentic to the character.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I really think it should be a black actor just to make people who care about this thing angry. Bond isn't actually a real person. He's a fictional character. Saint.Nick brings up batman but ras al ghul is an Arab in the comics. In batman begins he was a white bloke. Who gives a shit

Plenty of real people have been played by whites when they weren't IRL. Argo is a great movie but the guy Ben Affleck played is Hispanic IRL. Did that get you in a huff ?

Timbo

Staff member
Because in the books, Moneypenny is a very minor character that Fleming hardly paid attention to and never physically described. It's given moviemakers license to play around with her character.

But they never invalidated Bond as a suave, white British guy. Obviously, different actors will give their own little twists on the character.

By this logic, there is license to also make Batman black, because West, Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale and Affleck were all a little different to eachother.

His codename is 007. Bond is his real name, his parent's names in the books are Andrew Bond and Monique Delacroix-Bond.

They are not entirely different characters. Brosnan's Bond is white, British, around the 40 year mark, a womanizer, carefree, witty, and violent when he needs to be. Craig's Bond is white, British, around the 40 year mark, a womanizer, carefree, witty, and violent when he needs to be. Craig's Bond is a little more serious, but so what, it doesn't justify transforming his racial profile and family background.

Ah. I see your problem. You were ok with him being an English spy, or a Welsh spy after Connery established him as Scottish, but a suave black spy is a bridge too far.

:roll:

saint.nick

Coach
I really think it should be a black actor just to make people who care about this thing angry. Bond isn't actually a real person. He's a fictional character. Saint.Nick brings up batman but ras al ghul is an Arab in the comics. In batman begins he was a white bloke. Who gives a shit

Plenty of real people have been played by whites when they weren't IRL. Argo is a great movie but the guy Ben Affleck played is Hispanic IRL. Did that get you in a huff ?

These are just dumb comparisons completely dissimilar to the notion of black Bond.

Ra's Al Ghul is tall, looks around 50-60, has greying hair and green eyes. Liam Neeson is tall, is now 64, has greying hair and blue eyes. f**king close enough.

Your Argo comparison is even more stupid. Now, from what I could see, Affleck kept the Hispanic name and made himself look more Hispanic. It's not that hard for a white guy with dark features like Affleck to portray a Hispanic guy. So if you believe that Argo is comparable to the subject, then this discussion isn't for you.

Ah. I see your problem. You were ok with him being an English spy, or a Welsh spy after Connery established him as Scottish, but a suave black spy is a bridge too far.

:roll:

I'm sorry but I don't know what you're rambling about. Bond has only ever been white with an English accent. Not Welsh, nor Scottish.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Oh so changing ras is OK because he meets a random criteria (that leaves out race for some reason. ) let's look at bond with ethnicity taken out.

Idris bond is a British man, around the 40 year mark, a womaniser, carefree, witty and violent when he needs to be. f**king close enough. Elba also has dark eyes like Connery, dark hair and is tall with good looks like other bonds.

saint.nick

Coach
Oh so changing ras is OK because he meets a random criteria (that leaves out race for some reason. ) let's look at bond with ethnicity taken out.

Idris bond is a British man, around the 40 year mark, a womaniser, carefree, witty and violent when he needs to be. f**king close enough. Elba also has dark eyes like Connery, dark hair and is tall with good looks like other bonds.

It is not a 'random' criteria I casually made up 5 minutes ago - it is canon. The actor's own race is irrelevant if they look the part. The exact point I applied to Affleck in Argo, which seems to be going over your head. The exact point I'm also applying to the non-English actors who have played Bond.

And f**k me, are you seriously trying to draw a comparison in physical appearance between Connery and Elba to justify Elba as Bond? :lol:

DB

First Grade
Seriously, if the director has a vision with an Idris Elba James Bond, let him do it. If you don't want to watch it, don't f**king watch it.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I would prefer Bond stays White.
But if the shortlist for the new bond was Henry Cavill . Theo James, tom Hiddleston and Idris Elba then you'd pick Elba any day of the week

saint.nick

Coach
Yeah I just don't know about Cavill, I think he's too nice. Really not convinced by Hiddlestone either. He doesn't have enough ooomph. I'm warming onto Fassbender.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Yeah I just don't know about Cavill, I think he's too nice. Really not convinced by Hiddlestone either. He doesn't have enough ooomph. I'm warming onto Fassbender.

Fassbender would be alright.
Honestly though what would be worse, a black bond, or a dull bond who's unconvincing as a suave gentleman?

Misanthrope

Staff member

I'd almost agree with you, but you'd need to change it to:

Brosnan was a womanizer, carefree, witty, and violent when he needs to be...

Craig was violent, and a womanizer, carefree, and witty very rarely...

I love the Craig Bond, but his interpretation and Brosnan's are wildly different. Brosnan's was all cheesy quips, genuinely smooth pick-ups, and occasional bursts of violence. Bond's is brooding and acidic, rarely makes you laugh, but kicks more ass than Brosnan ever could.

Both great characters and both perfect for the guy in the role, but hardly 'the same'.

Honestly though what would be worse, a black bond, or a dull bond who's unconvincing as a suave gentleman?

Would saint.nick be okay with a German(/Irish) Bond? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach

Well my belief is that if the casting director can't find an approximate white 40 year old fit for the role then he/she isn't doing her job properly.

saint.nick

Coach
I'd almost agree with you, but you'd need to change it to:

Brosnan was a womanizer, carefree, witty, and violent when he needs to be...

Craig was violent, and a womanizer, carefree, and witty very rarely...

I love the Craig Bond, but his interpretation and Brosnan's are wildly different. Brosnan's was all cheesy quips, genuinely smooth pick-ups, and occasional bursts of violence. Bond's is brooding and acidic, rarely makes you laugh, but kicks more ass than Brosnan ever could.

Both great characters and both perfect for the guy in the role, but hardly 'the same'.

Would saint.nick be okay with a German(/Irish) Bond? :sarcasm:

Of course Craig and Brosnan's Bonds have their differences, but I personally don't find Craig's Bond to be a 'violent' person. He is definitely more brooding, but only because with Craig's Bond they've explored the character's inner demons.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It is not a 'random' criteria I casually made up 5 minutes ago - it is canon. The actor's own race is irrelevant if they look the part. The exact point I applied to Affleck in Argo, which seems to be going over your head. The exact point I'm also applying to the non-English actors who have played Bond.

And f**k me, are you seriously trying to draw a comparison in physical appearance between Connery and Elba to justify Elba as Bond? :lol:

You brought up batman and i pointed out that in batman begins an established Arabic character is played by a white dude nobody really cared and why would they because liam neeson was good

There is massive amounts of white washing in film history. Does this bother you ? Does it bother you that oliver stone cast a white dude to play jason thomas (a real life blackman) in world trade center. ?

There is film in production that the twitterati have got their pants in a knot about about a sulfi poet and the studio is trying to cast two men of european background (Leonardo dicaprio and robert downey jnr) to play men who were persian irl.

So i assume you think this is bad like all those pc folks on twitter.

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
You brought up batman and i pointed out that in batman begins an established Arabic character is played by a white dude nobody really cared and why would they because liam neeson was good

There is massive amounts of white washing in film history. Does this bother you ? Does it bother you that oliver stone cast a white dude to play jason thomas (a real life blackman) in world trade center. ?

There is film in production that the twitterati have got their pants in a knot about about a sulfi poet and the studio is trying to cast two men of european background (Leonardo dicaprio and robert downey jnr) to play men who were persian irl.

So i assume you think this is bad like all those pc folks on twitter.

There is no problem with Neeson playing Ra's al Ghul because Neeson actually appeared similar to the way the character looks in the comics. There is no problem with going for an established actor who is not only perfect for the role, but also looks the part.

There is a massive amount of whitewashing and yes it is stupid.

Latest posts