What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dream Team

ozbash

Referee
whadayareckon ?? :cool:

With the Warriors fighting for their post-season lives, I've decided to talk a stroll down memory lane and have a stab at naming my all-time Warriors dream team.
Sadly, there was no place for great names of yesteryear like Brady Malam, Scott Pethybridge and Ben Lythe.
Fullback: Brent Webb
The Warriors have had some handy names in the No1 jersey since their inception into the competition in 1995. Phil Blake, Ivan Cleary and Wade McKinnon have all had their moments, but I've opted for Australian-born excitement machine Brent Webb, who later went on to play for the Kiwis. Webb always seemed to be able to pop up at the right time, could split a defence apart with his pace and pulled off plenty of try- saving tackles at the back.
Wing: Francis Meli and Manu Vatuvei
Sean Hoppe and crowd-pleaser Henry Fa'afili scored truckloads of scintillating tries for the Warriors, but haven't made the cut in my dream team. I've gone for Francis Meli – who dotted down 60 times in his 119 games for the club – and "The Beast" Manu Vatuvei, who I rate as the best wing in the game right now. Meli holds the club record for tries in a season (23) and a game (five) and was simply outstanding on attack. Vatuvei is equally as destructive with 72 tries in 107 games for the Warriors and would be a great finisher for this side.
Centre: Nigel Vagana and Clinton Toopi
Clinton Toopi was one of the best centres on the planet in his prime and earns a deserved spot in my dream team. I've decided to pair him with Nigel Vagana, who was always a threat for a line break or offload in his 71 games with the Warriors. Growing up I was always a big Tea Ropati fan, but unfortunately I can't squeeze him in.
Five-eighth: Gene Ngamu
Five-eighth has been the Warriors' Achilles heel since they broke into the competition. Former Australian international Greg Alexander was an option in the 6 jersey, but I've gone for inaugural Warrior Gene Ngamu. Ngamu never set the NRL alight, but was usually fairly reliable for the side and was an accurate goalkicker. Plus, I loved the way former commentator Graeme Huges would pronounce his last name when he made a break.
Halfback: Stacey Jones
Who else but "The Little General". Think of the Warriors and Jones immediately springs to mind. The most capped player (261 games) and highest points-scorer in the club's history, Jones will go down in history as one of New Zealand's greatest rugby league players.
Front row: Jerry Seuseu, Monty Betham and Steve Price
Steve Price is the type of guy every rugby league side would love to have. The big front-rower was a tireless worker for the Warriors and always provided lots of go-forward for the team. Off the field, he's just as big a hit with his leadership qualities and ability to make the guys around him lift their game. It's a shame he was not able to go out in style in his final season of NRL this year because of injury. Jerry Seuseu was an extremely underrated front-rower in his time with the Warriors and has seen off the likes of Joe Vagana, Ruben Wiki, Hitro Okesene and Mark Tookey for my other spot. The Warriors have been blessed with several talented hookers in PJ Marsh, Robbie Mears, Jason Death, Syd Eru and Nathan Fien, but former skipper Monty Betham gets the nod for me.
Second Row: Ali Lauitiiti and Awen Guttenbeil
Ali Lauitiiti was one of my favourite-ever players to grace a Warrior jersey. The colossal second-rower, who was once dubbed "The Michael Jordan of rugby league", had many memorable performances for the side with his crazy offloading skills and ability to bump out of tackles. Probably didn't reach the heights that some people expected of him, but must still be regarded as one of the greatest second-rowers in the club's history. I've paired big Ali with an absolute workhorse in Awen Guttenbeil. Guttenbeil was a tackling machine in his 170 games and 10 years with the Warriors and was a real team player.
Lock: Kevin Campion
The rugged Australian arrived at the Warriors for the start of the 2001 season when the club was in absolute turmoil. His tough attitude, determination and winning background with the Brisbane Broncos seemed to rub off on his team-mates, and he was a key player in helping turn around the Warriors. Campion helped the side to its first trip to the finals in 2001 and was then part of the team that lost in the Grand final the following year. He also loved the biff. Who could forget his dust-up with former Bronco team-mate Shane Webcke in 2002. Tony Tuimavave gains an honourable mention at lock.
The bench: Lance Hohaia, Ruben Wiki, Logan Swann, Wairangi Koopu.
A rugby league team is only as good as its interchange bench and I've decided to go for Lance Hohaia, Ruben Wiki, Logan Swann and Wairangi Koopu on mine. Hohaia is Mr Versatile for the club and can play anywhere in the backs. Warriors fans never really saw the best of Wiki, but he earns a place on the bench because of his work rate, experience and the mana he commands. Swann and Koopu played more than 150 games for the club and always gave their all in the Warriors jersey.
The team: 1 Brent Webb, 2 Francis Meli, 3 Nigel Vagana, 4 Clinton Toopi, 5 Manu Vatuvei, 6 Gene Ngamu, 7 Stacey Jones, 8 Jerry Seuseu, 9 Monty Betham, 10 Steve Price (c), 11 Awen Guttenbeil, 12 Ali Lauitiiti, 13 Kevin Campion Interchange: 14 Lance Hohaia, 15 Ruben Wiki, 16 Logan Swann, 17 Wairangi Koopu
Coach: Daniel Anderson. Assistant coach: Ivan Cleary.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4010933/Picking-a-Warriors-dream-team

ozbash

Referee
lol, no mate, this isnt my work. pinched it from stuff and thought it was a great read.

Dont agree with some, Ridge was better than Webby and gene ngamu was/is/will always be a fluffy nuffy.

Martli

Coach
Betham never really impressed me as a hooker. Almost as if they selected him there just to fit him in.

ozreece77

Juniors
Just to be different:

Fullback: Phil Blake

Wing: Sean Hoppe and Nigel Vagana

Centre: Kevin Iro and Richie Blackmore

Five-eighth: Motu Tony.

Front row: Iafeta Paleaasina, PJ Marsh, Richard Villasanti

Second Row: Stephen Kearney, David Solomona

The bench: Dean Bell, Ruben Wiki, Ali Lauatiiti, Steve Price.

Coach: Frank Endacott Assistant coach: Mark Graham

MKEB...

Staff member
FB. Ridge
Wings. Vatuvei, Hoppe
Centres. Vagana Tate
Standoff. Simon
Halfback. That Jones Boy
Lock. Campion
2nd row. Lauititi, Gutenbeil
Hooker. Mears
Props. Price, Vagana

Interchange. Vinnie A, Meli, Feka, Tookey

Scott

Bench
Just to be different:

Fullback: Phil Blake

Wing: Sean Hoppe and Nigel Vagana

Centre: Kevin Iro and Richie Blackmore

Five-eighth: Motu Tony.

Front row: Iafeta Paleaasina, PJ Marsh, Richard Villasanti

Second Row: Stephen Kearney, David Solomona

The bench: Dean Bell, Ruben Wiki, Ali Lauatiiti, Steve Price.

Coach: Frank Endacott Assistant coach: Mark Graham

Did David Solomona even play first grade for the Warriors? Don't think so.

Needs more Paul Staladi on the left wing.

Scott

Bench
1. Fluff Beverley
2. Paul Staladi
3. Peter Lewis
4. Manoa Thompson
5. Scott Petherbridge
6. Gene Ngamu (c)
7. Ben Lythe
8. Brady Malam
9. Steve Buckingham
10. Grant Young
11. Matt Spence
12. Danny Sullivan
13. Scott Coxon

14. Mark Robinson
15. Mark Carter
16. Frank Watene
17. Carl Docherty

Coach - Gene Ngamu

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
1 Brent Webb
2 Manu Vatuvei – Warriors best winger
3 Clinton Toopi – one of the best, in his prime
4 Nigel Vagana
5 Francis Meli – 5 tries What!
6 Moty Tony – done his job
7 Stacey Jones – who else? really
8 Jerry Seuseu
9 PJ Marsh – the man in 2002
10 Steve Price
11 Ali Lauitiiti
12 Stephen Kearney
13 Kevin Campion
R Lance Hohaia
R Sam Rapira
R Hitro Okesene
R Ruben Wiki
18th Mark Tookey
Coach: Daniel Anderson

NZ Warrior

First Grade
1. Fluff Beverley
2. Paul Staladi
3. Peter Lewis
4. Manoa Thompson
5. Scott Petherbridge
6. Gene Ngamu (c)
7. Ben Lythe
8. Brady Malam
9. Steve Buckingham
10. Grant Young
11. Matt Spence
12. Danny Sullivan
13. Scott Coxon

14. Mark Robinson
15. Mark Carter
16. Frank Watene
17. Carl Docherty

Coach - Gene Ngamu

Love your work, Scotty.

How many games did Sullivan play for the Warriors? What a great buy.

Iafeta

Referee
1 Brent Webb - I was watching some old DVDs the other day of the Warriors, and I remember Brent Webb coming off the bench and going into dummy half, and he was absolutely electric.
2 Francis Meli
3 Jerome Ropati (Clinton had two great years, I find Jerome a little more consistent)
4 Nigel Vagana
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Greg Alexander
7 Stacey Jones
8 Jerry Seuseu
9 PJ Marsh
10 Steve Price
11 Ali Lauitiiti
12 Stephen Kearney
13 Kevin Campion

Interchange

Lance Hohaia
Awen Guttenbeil
Joe Vagana
Ruben Wiki

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Purely my favourite Warriors side, not necessarily best.

1- Brent Webb
2- Justin Murphy
3- Brent Tate
4- Clinton Toopi
5- Manu Vatuvei
6- Greg Alexander
7- Stacey Jones
8- Steve Price (c)
9- PJ Marsh
10- Joe Vagana
11- Simon Mannering
12- Ali Lauitiiti
13- Kevin Campion

Res: 14- Lance Hohaia, 15- Ruben Wiki, 16- Hitro Okesene 17- Steve Kearney

Hard to leave out the likes of Seuseu, Tookey, Oudenryan, Bell, Villasanti etc.