What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drinkwater and Soward as Dragons halves combination

trudge

Bench
Getting Melb first up is a blessing.

We've had a longer pre-season and they'll be vulnerable from the WCC.

We may very well be 5 and 2 before the 2012 semi finalists are up to speed.

Old_Timer

Juniors
I am truly surprised with some of you and your thoughts, we have a solid forward pack, some quality backs, okay we are a bit unknown in the halves, what will be the outcome! But we have a top 8 team, if we fire top 4 is not out of the question!

Johnny I admire your enthusiasm and hopefully it is contagious, as I would like to catch some of it.

Perhps I should qualify my concerns. Most on here know my thoughts on Price so no need to elaborate further. Our forwards on the main can hold their own, but I cannot see them running over the top of other packs. We have a good hooker and sub. Halfback is our achilles heel. Fein's legs will not last the season and Drinkwater is untried but has potential. For Jamie it is a make or break season, both for him and us. His relationship with Price is well known. And finally Gerard Beale who filled in admirably at fullback for the broncos year before last. His attack ball playing skills will need to be very Boyd 2010 like. His defence is/was an issue. Hopefully I am way off the mark.

Last edited:
Cooper and Chase will do the job. Vidot and Green with another year under their belt could be tidy back ups.

I think our forwards will lay the platform and Rein will cause havoc.

Beale with a whole pre-season at fullback will be better.

We'll definitely be competitive enough for the 8.

Building for a serious 2014 tilt.
Trudge, I have serious doubts over Chase's defence. Otherwise agree with you.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
. And finally Gerard Beale who filled in admirably at fullback for the broncos year before last. His attack ball playing skills will need to be very Boyd 2010 like. His defence is/was an issue. Hopefully I am way off the mark.

Beale will be 10 times the player Boyd was, he couldn't pass the ball for his first season with us... Boyd was okay in patches but I believe he is a good winger playing fullback!

Beales true position is fullback IMO...

As for you other points, I can't argue because they are maybes, I choose to be positive until I see otherwise I guess buddy... My glass will be always half full. ;-)

_Johnsy

Referee
Our pack will be one of the best in the comp only if they prove to be one of the best during the comp.

No shit Einstein. Almost as bad as saying if I win 10 million dollars I'll be rich.

FMD :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Bunniesman has nothing on you.

No shit Einstein. Almost as bad as saying if I win 10 million dollars I'll be rich.

FMD :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Bunniesman has nothing on you.
Now go easy Johnsy, after all it is Possm season and he's feeling a bit vunerable. I mean why else would he be making outlandish statement after outlandish statement, day after day.

possm

Coach
Now go easy Johnsy, after all it is Possm season and he's feeling a bit vunerable. I mean why else would he be making outlandish statement after outlandish statement, day after day.

It's my job! You don't think I just play possm all day do you?

redbreed

Juniors
Soward is the key this year when his in form he dominates the game the same as Thurston does. Love watching Jamie when his on, if he can regain that form it will take a lot of pressure off who ever plays halfback.

Elias1983

Coach
Soward is the key this year when his in form he dominates the game the same as Thurston does. Love watching Jamie when his on, if he can regain that form it will take a lot of pressure off who ever plays halfback.

Agree but what is the key to Soward firing?.....

It will come down to the coach, Price needs to show some people management skills and get Soward in the right frame of mind. Soward is a confidence player and this needs to be encouraged/developed etc by the coaching staff.

That's how Bennett got the best out of him I believe, as well as providing a very structured and complementary style of play for Soward, he instilled confidence in him....this is what made Soward fire.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I don't really lol. It's just that I'm fearing a horror season like 2007, and that year we put 50 on the bastards.

haha it would be a highlight. the poor old raiders fans wouldn't know what to do with themselves if we finally beat them

gypsy

Bench
Motivation was easy to find back then. Soward was on the NRL scrapheap, he had to prove all the doubters wrong and the club hadn't won a title in over 30 years.

He succeeded, for a period, culminating in GF success and Origin selection.
Now the doubters are back, we've won a comp, he's already played origin... I am unsure if he can - or more importantly if he wants to pick himself up off the canvas one more time.
I'll reserve judgement until 5 rounds in.

Elias1983

Coach
Motivation was easy to find back then. Soward was on the NRL scrapheap, he had to prove all the doubters wrong and the club hadn't won a title in over 30 years.

He succeeded, for a period, culminating in GF success and Origin selection.
Now the doubters are back, we've won a comp, he's already played origin... I am unsure if he can - or more importantly if he wants to pick himself up off the canvas one more time.
I'll reserve judgement until 5 rounds in.

This is exactly what I'm talking about...

This is where Price needs to assist if he can.

STG 002

First Grade
unless Drinkwater proves to be in the Cherry Evans or Adam Reynolds mould in their breakout season, we will struggle in the halves. Fien is handy but is a better replacement than starting player.

Minh

First Grade
Fien won't let us down but he won't tear any teams apart either at this stage of his career.

Guru_

Juniors
Worst squad in the nrl. The dragons recruited very poorly and have a worse squad than they did last year. Harrison and Beale are fringe graders and wouldn't make most teams top 17.the dragons will be the 2013 wooden spooners.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
Worst squad in the nrl. The dragons recruited very poorly and have a worse squad than they did last year. Harrison and Beale are fringe graders and wouldn't make most teams top 17.the dragons will be the 2013 wooden spooners.

Oh don't get me started..... What a stupid post!