What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Drugs, sex, domestic violence: football's dark cover up

blue bags

First Grade
Phoebe told the court: 'At that point I decided I was going to call the police.'

Phoebe and Sam married at the Hooke family estate just outside Bowral in the NSW Southern Highlands in December 2015.

Mr Hooke has denied bragging to Burgess that as CEO of the Minerals Council of Australia he had ended the prime ministership of Kevin Rudd.

In that role Mr Hooke had won a brutal fight over what was sometimes known as Mr Rudd's proposed resources super profits tax.

'You told (Burgess) how you brought down Kevin Rudd,' Mr Boulten said.

'You spoke to him and people in his presence more than once during your relationship with him about how you brought down Kevin Rudd.'
Magistrate Ian Cheetham ruled Burgess's lawyers could have access to any communications between Phoebe, Mr Hooke and The Australian before the publication of an article accusing Burgess of domestic violence. Phoebe and Mr Hooke are pictured
Sam and Phoebe Burgess separated in late 2018 before rekindling their relationship. They split again in October last year. Sam is pictured arriving at the marital home at Maroubra in Sydney's south-east in January 2019 and leaving half an hour later with three packed bags

Mr Hooke denied ever telling Burgess that and said he did not have a framed story about himself in his office.

Mr Boulten: 'You do regard yourself and present yourself as a hard man, do you not?'

Mr Hooke: 'No, I do not.'

Mr Boulten: 'Is it true that you abide by a principle, a football saying, "If you're going to hit me, make sure I stay down because if I don't stay down I'm going to come after you".'

Mr Hooke: 'In public policy advocacy.'

Burgess's off-field reputation has taken a battering in the media since his retirement with allegations of excessive partying and domestic violence during his marriage.

This is his first opportunity to publicly defend himself after his image has been repeatedly hammered outside the legal system.

Burgess has been waiting more than 12 months for this case to go to hearing, having insisted through his lawyers from the start he was not guilty of committing any offence.

He has never been required to attend court until today but has been legally represented at repeated mentions of the matter at Moss Vale and Picton courts.

Mr Hooke and his daughter have also not needed to attend court until today and in recent weeks have been pummeled by Burgess's lawyers in their absence.

Burgess is accused of assaulting Mr Hooke at the sprawling Hooke family home, although no actual physical violence has been alleged against him.
Mitchell Harry Hooke had a distinguished career in public policy advocacy, notably as the chief executive officer of the Minerals Council of Australia, from which he retired in 2013. He is pictured at the family farm in October on a day Burgess's charges were mentioned in court

Police have also taken out an interim apprehended violence order to protect Mr Hooke from Burgess, who has had no contact with his father-in-law for more than a year.

The charges and the AVO stem from an incident at the multi million-dollar Hooke estate outside Bowral, where Burgess and Phoebe were married in December 2015.

Police were called to the Glenquarry property, known as Daffodil Downs, on October 19 last year.

Burgess was at the house for an arranged visit with his two young children who had been staying there with their mother since their parents split.

Mr Hooke reportedly asked the English-born dual code international to leave the property, which Burgess did, but police were called about 5pm.

'Police from The Hume Police District attended and an apprehended domestic violence order was applied for on behalf of a 63-year-old man,' a police statement said at the time.

'Following further inquiries, on Wednesday 30 October 2019, a 30-year-old man was charged with the offence of Intimidation (DV related). It's alleged the man intimidated the older man during the incident.'

On October 2 a report in The Australian newspaper made untested allegations of domestic violence by Burgess towards his wife, as well as claims of wild partying including drug use.

A recording of a phone call made by Phoebe to Triple Zero on the afternoon of the October 2019 incident was played in full in Moss Vale Local Court on Monday
The level of animosity between Burgess, 31, and the Phoebe Hooke's family is finally set to be laid bare in one of the most anticipated Australian celebrity court battles in years

Phoebe Burgess has her temperature checked as part of COVID-19 protocols as she enters the courthouse on Monday

That report drew on a 50-page police statement Phoebe had made to police in late September and included quotes from Mr Hooke.

The Burgesses married at Phoebes parents home in December 2015 and have two children, Poppy, who turns four in January, and Billy, who turns two in December.

The couple separated in late 2018 before rekindling their relationship by April 2019. They split again in October last year.

Burgess, one of four footballing brothers, was lured to the Rabbitohs by club part-owner and Hollywood star Russell Crowe, and helped guide them to the 2014 premiership.

He quit rugby league on October 30 last year due to a chronic left shoulder injury.

Phoebe Burgess is a French-speaking brand ambassador and keen tennis player who makes occasional appearances on morning television.

She grew up in Bowral and went to the all-girls Frensham School before spending a couple of years writing for Cleo and Dolly magazines and working as a producer at Channel 7's Sunrise program.

Mitchell Hooke had a distinguished career in public policy advocacy, notably as the chief executive officer of the Minerals Council of Australia, from which he retired in 2013.

The matter has been adjourned until January 2021.
In that role Mr Hooke had won a brutal fight over what was sometimes known as Mr Rudd's proposed

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...essy-court-hearing-involving-Sam-Burgess.html

Attached Files:

blue bags

First Grade
A TRANSCRIPT OF PHOEBE'S CALL TO TRIPLE ZERO IN OCTOBER 2019
Phoebe: Oh look I don't, I'm just reporting something that's happened in my home, um.

Operator: Yes. What's your address there?

Um we're at (address suppressed).

(Address suppressed)?

Yeah

Yeah I don't need anyone here, I just need to report something.

Yeah that's OK, let me just get up the address, how do you spell your street?

Um, (address suppressed)

Your street?

Yeah, yeah.

Yep, so (address suppressed)

No, no, sorry, the street is (address suppressed)

Yep and sorry and the town?

(Address suppressed)

Yep, is that at Daffodil Downs?

Yeah that's that.

OK and your nearest corner street there?

(Address suppressed)

Look I'm just a bit shaken up, I'm just going through, uh, my husband and I are going through a bit of a separation at the moment.

Yep.

Um, and I've left him with the children and I've come home and he, um, he was supposed to have left when I arrived home and I repeatedly told him I didn't want to see him, so he has threatened and abused my father, who is the children's grandfather who was supervising the visit (begins to cry).

Yeah, OK, alrighty, what's your husband's name?

It's Sam Burgess, so it can't be made public but I just need to report it cause he's still in the area and he's really angry (crying).

Yeah, OK, is there any weapons on him?

Oh, I don't imagine so.

OK, and is your dad or the kids, or no ones injured?

No, everyone's OK.

We don't need an ambulance?

No, no, no, no.

And have you guys got AVOs?

No, I didn't want to do that, but his just um...

OK, and how many kids have you got there?

He's done this to me, too, he's done this to me.

OK, and are the kids with you or with him?

No, they were with him.

Where are the kids now?

Yep, yeah, my mums putting my son now and my daughter is with my sister.

OK, is he likely to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol?

Uh, well...

Normally, or?

Yeah, normally, that's what we've been going through (crying).

Yeah, OK, alrighty.

I trusted him!

What was your name?

My name's Phoebe Burgess, I trusted him... (crying).

Yeah.

And I have to report this because he is not supposed to behave like this on someone else's property (crying).

Yeah, Phoebe, it definitely sounds like a hard situation for everyone, what I'm going to do, I'm going to send the police to see you.

Oh, is it necessary, do you reckon?

Yeah, look, it is.

OK.

We just have a duty of care, we want to make sure that you're OK and just help you work out the best way we are going to deal with this, what was your date of birth?

Um, 18th of April, 1989, I promise we're all fine, I just know that, I got, I got lawyers for this exact reason, um, and I...

Yeah that's OK, so Phoebe, we want to come and check on you because we do have a duty of care, I know you say you're fine, but we'll come down just to have a chat and then we'll go from there. What time was it that he abused, um verbally abused his dad?

Hm, he's only just left and I blocked his calls.

Alrighty and what sort of car does he drive?

Um, his in a white BMW and obviously, and I'm just saying this, I don't want this to be public for him, I just, he's in a white BMW, I just know he's angry, and I know he's alone and he's just acting like a f***ing idiot.

Yeah, alrighty. what we'll do Phoebe, we'll get someone down there to help you at (address suppressed).

Yep

...if he comes back and there's any further drama before we get there, call Triple Zero immediately, ok?

I don't think he will, I think he's gone now.

Do you know his date of birth at all?

His date of birth?

Yep.

Yeah, it's the 14th of December '88.

Mkay, alrighty, no problem and your dad is definitely not injured?

No, no, he's 60 years old and it's just, he's just shaken up (Phoebe starts crying).

Yeah.

He's a great man, I just can't believe he'd do that to my 60-year-old father (Crying).

Yeah, for sure I totally understand, we'll come down and have a chat and help you out. Any mental health conditions for him or anyone in the house?

No we're all fine, Sam's not fine, he's going through a lot of things.

Is it Sam or Dan?

Sam, Sam Burgess.

Sam, alright sorry, it's a bit of a bad line Phoebe.

Sorry.

That's ok, and your best phone number?

(Phone number suppressed)

No worries, alright Phoebe I'm really sorry everyone's been through that, we will come down and have a chat to you.

I appreciate you being so understanding, thank you.

Yeah, look's it's definitely a tough situation, but we will come down and have a chat to you, OK? Like I said...

He's just, he's just done it to me so many times, and I didn't ever realise it was bad and, and my dad said that's just horrific.

Yeah, I, uh, imagine that it probably is, if he turns up, Like I said Phoebe before we get there, just call us.

Alright thank you. Bye.

No problems Phoebe, we will be there as soon as we can.

We're OK, yep, we're all right.
In that role Mr Hooke had won a brutal fight over what was sometimes known as Mr Rudd's proposed

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...essy-court-hearing-involving-Sam-Burgess.html

Attached Files:

blue bags

First Grade
2pm, Saturday, at Daffodil Downs: Mitchell Hooke claims his son-in-law Sam Burgess left him 'shaking' with fear...while the NRL champ says he was threatened with 'ruin': A full account from BOTH sides of the most gripping family courtroom stoush in years
  • NRL star Sam Burgess wed Phoebe Hooke near Bowral, NSW, in December 2015
  • The couple separated in late 2018, reunited, then permanently split in late 2019
  • Burgess was involved in an alleged confrontation with Phoebe's father Mitchell
  • Police subsequently charged Burgess, 31, with intimidation and common assault
  • Mr Hooke's version of events differs markedly from that of his former son-in-law
  • Burgess says his father-in-law threatened to ruin his career and to 'destroy him'
By STEPHEN GIBBS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

Sam and Phoebe Burgess were freshly separated and emotions still raw when they made arrangements for him to visit her family home at 2pm on Saturday, October 19 last year.

The footballer's visit to Daffodil Downs, just outside Bowral in the New South Wales Southern Highlands, was planned with military precision to ensure he did not cross paths with his wife.

Burgess, then 30, would be welcomed onto the property for two hours to see his young children Poppy and Billy, while Phoebe, also 30, would be away from the home.

Phoebe's 64-year-old father Mitchell Hooke would act as a sort of supervisor and her younger sister Harriet would also be nearby.

Sam and Phoebe Burgess were freshly separated when he visited her family home on October 19 last year. After that visit Burgess was charged with intimidating and assaulting Phoebe's father Mitchell Hooke. Phoebe is pictured with her mother Sarah at court on Monday

At 11.48am Burgess texted Phoebe from Bowral to say he wanted to come over earlier but she insisted on sticking to the 2pm plan.

Burgess spent the lead-up to the visit at the local Royal Hotel, arriving there at 12.06pm and leaving at 1.31pm. While at the pub he happily posed for selfies with fans.

Phoebe left Daffodil Downs before 2pm to ensure she would not run into Burgess. Harriet was in the stables and Hooke was sitting in his office.

What happened over the next couple of hours would tear the Burgess and Hooke families even further apart and land Sam in court charged with intimidating and assaulting his father-in-law.

Burgess's visit to Daffodil Downs, just outside Bowral in the New South Wales Southern Highlands, was planned with military precision to ensure he did not cross paths with his wife

Burgess was welcomed onto the Hooke property for two hours to see his young children while Phoebe would be away from the home. Phoebe's father Mitchell Hooke (pictured) would act as a sort of supervisor and her younger sister Harriet would also be nearby
Hooke says he feared Burgess would hit him in his own home. Burgess claims Hooke told him: 'I'm going to destroy you if it's the last thing I do. I'm going to destroy you and your career.'

According to Hooke, Burgess arrived at his property about 1.45pm and was greeted by him in the kitchen.

Burgess has not given his version of events yet but Hooke says the visit went sour about two hours later when he noted it was time for his son-in-law to go home.

Sam Burgess is seen at pub before 'confrontation with father-in-law'
The Hooke family known as Daffodil Downs at Glenquarry just outside Bowral in the NSW Southern sits in lush countryside

'Sam said, "Nuh, no way",' Hooke told Moss Vale Court on Monday.

'I said, "Sorry?" He said, "Nuh, this is f***ing inhumane". He said, "This is f***ing inhumane and you know it".'

Hooke said Burgess then stood up and walked across the room.

'I said to him, "You can't abuse me like that in my own home",' Hooke told the court. 'In a place where we've provided you love and support and afforded you sanctuary.'

Hooke said Burgess responded by saying, 'F*** you, you're a piece of s***. You're just like your daughter'.

'I was taken aback because I had never seen that behaviour directed at me by Sam before.

'He said, "F*** you, you're a piece of s***". I said, "Sam, you've got to go".

Sam Burgess married Phoebe Hooke in 2015 and the couple separated permanently late last year. They are now embroiled in a bitter court dispute

Mitch Hooke, pictured with daughter Phoebe, claims Sam Burgess threatened him in his home. Burgess says it was Hooke who said he would destroy him

'He came straight over, right in my face. He said, "F*** you. I'm going to get you. You've set all of this up." He was wild. He was yelling.

'I'm standing there, there's a six foot five, 118 kilo bloke threatening to beat me, threatening to hit me. I've never felt fear like it.

'I said, "You're going to hit a 64-year-old man?" And he said, "I'm going to get you, I'm going to f***ing get you." I said, "They're going to put you away Sam".'

'I was resigned to being hit. I had absolutely no doubt. I had never been threatened like that in my life. And I had never had fear like that in my life.'

'He was swearing at me, "You're a piece of s***. Everybody who knows you, everybody I talk to says you're a f***ing piece of s***".'

Hooke said he tried to reason with Burgess and calm him down.

'You're fighting with the NRL,' he said he told the former South Sydney captain. 'You're fighting with your club. You're fighting with everybody.'

Hooke said when he spoke to his daughter about the incident she said, 'Dad, you don't know what he's like, you don't know what he's capable of.'

Daffodil Downs was the scene of Sam Burgess and Phoebe Hooke's wedding in 2015. It is also where Phoebe's father Mitchell claims Burgess menaced him

Mitchell Hooke says he told Burgess: 'You can't abuse me like that in my own home (pictured). In a place where we've provided you love and support and afforded you sanctuary'

Burgess is yet to give evidence of the confrontation with Hooke but some of what he is likely to say was revealed by his barrister Phillip Boulten SC.

Boulten put it to Hooke that Burgess had not spoken to him as described and it was the older man who had threatened his son-in-law.

Hooke said he did not recall Burgess telling him, 'You're a bad person. You're a bad person inside and you're bad outside. You've got a bad heart.'

He did not accept saying to Burgess, 'Don't you dare come down to this property and disrespect me.'

He denied telling Burgess, 'You run away from everything in your life', 'No one loves you' and 'Your family don't even love you.'

And he further denied saying to Burgess about Daffodil Downs: 'What have you done, Sam? All this could have been yours.'

Boulten put it to Hooke that Burgess had responded to that statement by saying, 'Oh Mitch, this is all fake.'

The barrister suggested Hooke said to Burgess: 'I'm going to ruin your f***ing career - I'll make sure of it', which Hooke denied.

'He said to you, "Of course you will, you're a piece of s***,' Boulten said to Hooke.

35755336-8956171-Mithcell_Hooke_told_Moss_Vale_Local_Court_Burgess_said_to_him_F_-a-4_1605598310767.jpg

Mithcell Hooke told Moss Vale Local Court Burgess said to him, 'F*** you, you're a piece of s***. You're just like your daughter'. Sam and Phoebe Burgess are pictured

Burgess has pleaded not guilty to the charges at a hearing which will resume on January 22.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ooke-heated-confrontation-Daffodil-Downs.html

blue bags

First Grade
Phoebe's sister Harriet said she spent most of the afternoon in the stables and shortly before 4pm heard Burgess shouting from the house.

She then allegedly saw Burgess standing over her father in a 'menacing stance' pointing his right finger at Hooke.

'He said, "What kind of grandfather are you? Everyone that knows you hates you. I'm going to get you",' Harriet said.

'I honestly didn't know what was going to happen because his behaviour was so erratic, he was so angry.'

Hooke appeared to be in a state of shock after the incident.

'Normally Dad's very strong and talks a lot,' Harriet said. 'That's just his personality.

'But this time he could barely put a sentence together. His voice was wavering. He was still shaky.'

Phoebe was at Harris Farm Markets when she sent a text to Burgess at 4.05pm asking him to let her know when he had left the property.

Mitchell Hooke said he did not recall Burgess telling him, 'You're a bad person. You're a bad person inside and you're bad outside. You've got a bad heart.' Mr Hooke is pictured at court

She had parked opposite Bong Bong racecourse waiting to see his BMW pull out of Daffodil Downs.

At 4.18pm Phoebe took a call from her father, shortly after Burgess had gone.

'It wasn't the call I was expecting to be honest,' Phoebe told the court.

'He was emotional and shaky. He wasn't making a lot of sense.'

Phoebe spoke to her solicitor Carly Middleton for about four minutes from 4.20pm while she was on her way home. She texted Sam again at 4.22pm to say 'I'm here' while still on the phone to Middleton.

When Phoebe got home, according to her, Harriet told her, 'Phoeb, he just went off'.

'I asked Dad what happened,' Phoebe said. 'His mouth was dry. He was visibly shaky. I'd actually never seen my father quite like that before.

'He just kept saying, "It's OK. He just went at me, he just went at me".

'Dad said that Sam went off, that he started storming around the house. He then said Sam stood over him and he told him that he was going to get him.'

Phoebe said her father told her that when Burgess got into his car to leave he yelled through the window, 'Oh, you're so successful'.

'Everyone who knows you hates you,' Burgess allegedly said. 'Everyone who's met you hates you.'

Sam Burgess claims Mitchell Hooke told him: 'I'm going to destroy you if it's the last thing I do. I'm going to destroy you and your career.' Burgess is pictured at court

Phoebe Burgess' family gather for a barbecue after court hearing

Phoebe told the court: 'At that point I decided I was going to call the police.'

The court heard Phoebe first tried to call Brisbane QC Sydney Williams, a family friend, before she rang Triple Zero.

That call, at 4.45pm was played to the court.

'Hi there,' Phoebe says. 'I'm just reporting something that's just happened at my home.

'I don't need to have anyone here, I just need to report something.

'Look, I'm just a bit shaken up, I'm just going through, uh, my husband and I are going through a bit of a separation at the moment.'

Phoebe then goes on to explain the arrangements she had with Burgess in relation to their children.

'He has threatened and abused my father, who is the children's grandfather,' she says.

'It's Sam Burgess, so it can't be made public but I just need to report it cause he's sill in the area and he's really angry.'

Phoebe's call to Triple Zero after Sam allegedly assaulted her Dad

Phoebe assures police no one is physically injured and says there is no AVO in place against Burgess.

'We're OK, yep, we're all right,' she says.

Police attended Daffodil Downs and Phoebe spoke to her lawyer Carly Middleton again at 4.53pm.

'I wasn't seeking legal advice, that wasn't my motivation,' she told the court. 'But I was telling her what had happened at that visit.'

Hooke called Sydney Williams at 5.25pm and another lawyer about 5.30pm. He also spoke to former colleague Ben Mitchell, a public relations expert.

'He's a confidante,' Hooke told the court. 'I was trying to get a handle on what was likely to be the consequences of this story breaking.'

Phoebe, her father and sister drove to Bowral about 9.30pm to make formal statements. For Harriet, it was the first time she had ever been inside a police station.

An interim apprehended violence order was issued to protect Hooke from Burgess, who was subsequently charged with intimidation and common assault.
Burgess has pleaded not guilty to the charges at a hearing which will resume on January 22.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ooke-heated-confrontation-Daffodil-Downs.html

blue bags

First Grade
Sam Burgess' weekend flame Oak Schuetz enjoys her 15 minutes as she flaunts her figure for the paparazzi at the beach and shows off her 'Why not?' tattoo
By MONIQUE FRIEDLANDER FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
:)

American backpacker Oak Schuetz is clearly enjoying the spotlight after her weekend fling with newly-single footy star Sam Burgess.

Despite Sam downplaying their romance, the 27-year-old waitress showed no sign of heartbreak as she flaunted her curves for the paparazzi in La Perouse, Sydney, on Monday.

Oak, who hails from Seattle and works at O-Bar and Dining in the CBD, looked like she didn't have a care in the world as she strolled down the beach in a swimsuit.

21735522-7748977-No_heartbreak_here_Sam_Burgess_weekend_fling_Oak_Schuetz_enjoyed-a-9_1575335871367.jpg

She's loving life! American backpacker Oak Schuetz is clearly enjoying the spotlight after her weekend fling with newly-single footy star Sam Burgess

The windswept brunette, who is on a year-long holiday in Australia, proudly flashed her 'Why not?' arm tattoo.
She prviously told The Daily Telegraph that 'why not?' is her life's motto, and that this philosophy had inspired her to romantically pursue Sam.

Meanwhile, Oak also showed off her cleavage and toned derrière during her day at the beach.

21735536-7748977-Embracing_the_spotlight_Clad_in_a_skimpy_high_cut_swimsuit_the_b-a-11_1575335878386.jpg

Feeling good: Despite Sam downplaying their romance, the 27-year-old waitress showed no sign of heartbreak as she flaunted her curves in La Perouse, Sydney, on Monday

American waitress Oak Schuetz addresses Sam Burgess dating rumours

She paired her plunging swimsuit with a white waist-tie belt and accessorised with a bow hair tie and black wristwatch.

Despite heading to the beach, Oak wore a full face of makeup and styled her hair in neatly-curled waves.

Oak made headlines on Monday when she publicly claimed she was dating Sam after they had met at The Establishment bar in Sydney on Thursday night.

Break-up: Sam, who recently retired from the NRL, separated from wife Phoebe in October

The cheek of her! Oak showed off her cleavage and toned derrière during her day at the beach

However, she has since claimed that Sam 'ghosted' her for going public with their relationship.

'Sam and I aren't talking anymore,' she said on Monday afternoon, adding that the media coverage had 'messed up' their romance.

Oak said the retired Rabbitohs star had stopped returning her calls and she was unsure if he'd ever contact her again.

21735538-7748977-All_dressed_up_She_paired_her_plunging_swimsuit_with_a_white_wai-a-8_1575343910745.jpg

All dressed up! She paired her plunging swimsuit with a white waist-tie belt and accessorised with a bow hair tie and black wristwatch

21735562-7748977-Primped_Despite_the_casual_occasion_Oak_wore_an_extremely_heavy_-a-14_1575335895495.jpg

Primped to perfection: Despite heading to the beach, Oak wore a full face of makeup and styled her hair in neatly-curled waves

Sam - who separated from his wife and the mother of his two children, Phoebe Burgess, in October - had initially been supportive of Oak when the news broke.

'He was really lovely, he's such a gentleman, he was asking me in the morning if I was alright after the story [of us] appeared [in the paper],' she said.

But as the coverage of their relationship escalated, he distanced himself from her.

21735594-7748977-Bottoms_up_She_was_seen_throwing_a_stick_for_her_dog_to_catch_wh-a-19_1575335918435.jpg

Claim to fame: Oak made headlines on Monday when she publicly claimed she was dating Sam Burgess after they had met at The Establishment bar in Sydney on Thursday night

Sam told Daily Mail Australia the reports were 'not true', before Oak released a series of bizarre Instagram videos in which she claimed they were 'just friends'.

In footage uploaded on Monday night, Oak said that 'rumours pertaining to our relationship... take a hit at our characters'.

She then clarified that she was still single.

Over already! However, Oak has since claimed that Sam 'ghosted' her for going public with their relationship

Dumped! Meanwhile, Sam has since denied being any kind of romantic relationship with Oak

'I'm single and Sam is single and it needs to be left at that because it just does. I just wanted to clear that up,' she said.

Oak added that she found the whole ordeal 'frustrating' and claimed her quotes had been 'taken out of context' by The Daily Telegraph.

Bizarrely, she went on to say: 'If we did want to get some things out on the radar we can say that I also invented microwave popcorn, I am a bounty hunter in my spare time and I'm an astrophysicist.'

Inked: The windswept brunette proudly flashed her 'Why not?' arm tattoo for onlookers

Wild and free! She previously told The Daily Telegraph that 'why not?' is her life's motto, and that this philosophy had inspired her to romantically pursue Sam
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...s-weekend-fling-Oak-Schuetz-strips-beach.html

Sam Burgess' weekend fling Oak Schuetz strips down at the beach

Tiger5150

Bench
Sam Burgess' weekend flame Oak Schuetz enjoys her 15 minutes as she flaunts her figure for the paparazzi at the beach and shows off her 'Why not?' tattoo
By MONIQUE FRIEDLANDER FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
:)

American backpacker Oak Schuetz is clearly enjoying the spotlight after her weekend fling with newly-single footy star Sam Burgess.

Despite Sam downplaying their romance, the 27-year-old waitress showed no sign of heartbreak as she flaunted her curves for the paparazzi in La Perouse, Sydney, on Monday.

Oak, who hails from Seattle and works at O-Bar and Dining in the CBD, looked like she didn't have a care in the world as she strolled down the beach in a swimsuit.

21735522-7748977-No_heartbreak_here_Sam_Burgess_weekend_fling_Oak_Schuetz_enjoyed-a-9_1575335871367.jpg

She's loving life! American backpacker Oak Schuetz is clearly enjoying the spotlight after her weekend fling with newly-single footy star Sam Burgess

The windswept brunette, who is on a year-long holiday in Australia, proudly flashed her 'Why not?' arm tattoo.
She prviously told The Daily Telegraph that 'why not?' is her life's motto, and that this philosophy had inspired her to romantically pursue Sam.

Meanwhile, Oak also showed off her cleavage and toned derrière during her day at the beach.

21735536-7748977-Embracing_the_spotlight_Clad_in_a_skimpy_high_cut_swimsuit_the_b-a-11_1575335878386.jpg

Feeling good: Despite Sam downplaying their romance, the 27-year-old waitress showed no sign of heartbreak as she flaunted her curves in La Perouse, Sydney, on Monday

American waitress Oak Schuetz addresses Sam Burgess dating rumours

She paired her plunging swimsuit with a white waist-tie belt and accessorised with a bow hair tie and black wristwatch.

Despite heading to the beach, Oak wore a full face of makeup and styled her hair in neatly-curled waves.

Oak made headlines on Monday when she publicly claimed she was dating Sam after they had met at The Establishment bar in Sydney on Thursday night.

Break-up: Sam, who recently retired from the NRL, separated from wife Phoebe in October

The cheek of her! Oak showed off her cleavage and toned derrière during her day at the beach

However, she has since claimed that Sam 'ghosted' her for going public with their relationship.

'Sam and I aren't talking anymore,' she said on Monday afternoon, adding that the media coverage had 'messed up' their romance.

Oak said the retired Rabbitohs star had stopped returning her calls and she was unsure if he'd ever contact her again.

21735538-7748977-All_dressed_up_She_paired_her_plunging_swimsuit_with_a_white_wai-a-8_1575343910745.jpg

All dressed up! She paired her plunging swimsuit with a white waist-tie belt and accessorised with a bow hair tie and black wristwatch

21735562-7748977-Primped_Despite_the_casual_occasion_Oak_wore_an_extremely_heavy_-a-14_1575335895495.jpg

Primped to perfection: Despite heading to the beach, Oak wore a full face of makeup and styled her hair in neatly-curled waves

Sam - who separated from his wife and the mother of his two children, Phoebe Burgess, in October - had initially been supportive of Oak when the news broke.

'He was really lovely, he's such a gentleman, he was asking me in the morning if I was alright after the story [of us] appeared [in the paper],' she said.

But as the coverage of their relationship escalated, he distanced himself from her.

21735594-7748977-Bottoms_up_She_was_seen_throwing_a_stick_for_her_dog_to_catch_wh-a-19_1575335918435.jpg

Claim to fame: Oak made headlines on Monday when she publicly claimed she was dating Sam Burgess after they had met at The Establishment bar in Sydney on Thursday night

Sam told Daily Mail Australia the reports were 'not true', before Oak released a series of bizarre Instagram videos in which she claimed they were 'just friends'.

In footage uploaded on Monday night, Oak said that 'rumours pertaining to our relationship... take a hit at our characters'.

She then clarified that she was still single.

Over already! However, Oak has since claimed that Sam 'ghosted' her for going public with their relationship

Dumped! Meanwhile, Sam has since denied being any kind of romantic relationship with Oak

'I'm single and Sam is single and it needs to be left at that because it just does. I just wanted to clear that up,' she said.

Oak added that she found the whole ordeal 'frustrating' and claimed her quotes had been 'taken out of context' by The Daily Telegraph.

Bizarrely, she went on to say: 'If we did want to get some things out on the radar we can say that I also invented microwave popcorn, I am a bounty hunter in my spare time and I'm an astrophysicist.'

Inked: The windswept brunette proudly flashed her 'Why not?' arm tattoo for onlookers

Wild and free! She previously told The Daily Telegraph that 'why not?' is her life's motto, and that this philosophy had inspired her to romantically pursue Sam
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...s-weekend-fling-Oak-Schuetz-strips-beach.html

Sam Burgess' weekend fling Oak Schuetz strips down at the beach

How long has she been 27yo? A while it seems.......

Chimp

Bench
Sydney media has become as bad as the British gutter press!
This is a HUGE problem. When it becomes clearly profitable and career enhancing to be involved in scandal, unfortunately you’re going to get people purposely getting themselves involved in such scandal, or making things up.... My only advice to the NRL players is that unfortunately for them, using their status to smash a load of young fit birds now comes with grave dangers - much worse than in years gone by, to the point, it’s just not worth it.... but that won’t stop em, and even though I like to think I’m relatively sensible and well educated, if I were in their position, I’d find it hard not to make hay whilst the sun shines with the beauties.

soc123_au

Staff member
She must be one hell of a f**k to get her name plastered on the front of our jerseys.

blue bags

First Grade
Why Phoebe Burgess will not stop using her ex-husband Sam's famous surname despite accusing the NRL star of domestic abuse - as she admits calling cops on him was 'the ultimate betrayal'
  • NRL star Sam Burgess wed Phoebe Hooke near Bowral, NSW, in December 2015
  • The couple separated in late 2018, reunited, then permanently split in late 2019
  • Burgess was involved in an alleged confrontation with Phoebe's father Mitchell
  • Police subsequently charged Burgess, 31, with intimidation and common assault
  • Burgess has pleaded not guilty and says Mr Hooke threatened to ruin his career
  • Phoebe says calling Triple Zero to report her husband was 'the ultimate betrayal'
By STEPHEN GIBBS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

Phoebe Burgess will keep her husband Sam's famous surname despite publicly accusing him of threatening her father and subjecting her to domestic abuse.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ss-famous-surname-despite-accusing-abuse.html

The 31-year-old social media influencer continues to call herself mrsphoebeburgess on Instagram, where her account is littered with old pictures of the long-separated couple.

Phoebe gave evidence against her estranged husband on Monday as he was defending charges of assaulting and intimidating her father Mitchell Hooke.

She supported her father's claims that Burgess had threatened him during a visit to the Hooke family home in the New South Wales Southern Highlands shortly after their split.

Phoebe Burgess will keep her husband Sam's famous surname despite publicly accusing him of threatening her father and subjecting her to domestic abuse. This image still appears on Phoebe's Instagram account

35845160-8960747-image-m-25_1605742485794.jpg

Phoebe Burgess (left) gave evidence against her estranged husband Sam Burgess (right) on Monday as he was defending charges of assaulting and intimidating her father Mitchell Hooke

35845084-8960747-image-a-7_1605742225932.jpg

Phoebe, a 31-year-old social media influencer, continues to call herself mrsphoebeburgess on Instagram, where her account is littered with old loved-up pictures of her with Sam

She also admitted leaking a damning 50-page police statement she made about Burgess to a newspaper which published allegations against him of domestic violence and drug misuse.

At the start of her evidence Phoebe was asked to clarify the status of her relationship with 31-year-old Burgess. 'I'm his ex-wife,' she told Moss Vale Local Court.

Under cross-examination she was questioned about whether she was still Phoebe Burgess or had reverted to calling herself Phoebe Hooke.

'As long as my children are Burgess I will always be Burgess,' she said.

Phoebe's Instagram account still features loved-up pictures of the now warring couple, including shots of their wedding at the Hooke family estate, Daffodil Downs.

The Burgesses, who married in December 2015 and separated in October last year, have two children: Poppy, who turns four in January, and Billy who will be two next month.

35844952-8960747-image-m-4_1605741969855.jpg

Phoebe has admitted leaking a damning 50-page police statement she made about Burgess to a newspaper which published allegations of domestic violence and drug abuse. This picture of the former couple is still on her Instagram account

Mitchell Hooke, pictured with daughter Phoebe, claims Burgess stood over him in a menacing manner, called him a 'piece of s***' and said 'I'm going to get you' during a confrontation at the Hooke family home. He says he feared being hit by the footballer

Couples married in Australia must have been separated for 12 months before they can apply for divorce through the Federal Circuit Court.

A divorce document only legally ends a marriage. It does not of itself resolve how assets are divided or any issues involving children.
The Burgesses have already come to some arrangements over property, including selling their $5million home at Maroubra in Sydney's south-east last December.

In April Phoebe also offloaded the F45 gym bought in the names of Sam Burgess and her older sister Jemima's husband Gene Fairbanks in 2015.

The former journalist who now promotes herself as a brand ambassador has kept a $100,000 Range Rover which she is regularly seen driving around Bowral.

35844970-8960747-image-m-6_1605742058372.jpg

At the start of her evidence Phoebe was asked to clarify the status of her relationship with Sam Burgess. 'I'm his ex-wife,' she told Moss Vale Local Court. This picture is still on her Instagram account

Phoebe's call to Triple Zero after Sam allegedly assaulted her Dad

Burgess has pleaded not guilty to intimidation and common assault arising from the incident at the Hooke home on October 19 last year.

Mr Hooke claims Burgess stood over him in a menacing manner, called him a 'piece of s***' and said 'I'm going to get you'. He says he feared being hit by the footballer.

Burgess claims it was Mr Hooke who threatened him by saying, 'I'm going to destroy you if it's the last thing I do. I'm going to destroy you and your career.'

After that confrontation both Mr Hooke and Phoebe spoke to lawyers - he also called a public relations expert - before making formal statements to police.

It was Phoebe who rang Triple Zero to report Burgess's alleged threats against Mr Hooke.

'It's Sam Burgess, so it can't be made public,' she told the operator. 'But I just need to report it 'cause he's still in the area and he's really angry.'

35845448-8960747-image-m-30_1605743048044.jpg

A broke family in happier times: left to right are Sarah Hooke, her husband Mitchell Hooke, their son-in-law Gene Fairbanks and his wife Jemima, Phoebe and Sam Burgess and youngest Hooke daughter Harriet

Phoebe became emotional in the witness box when she recalled making that call to report the father of her children to police.

'I thought it was the ultimate betrayal,' she said, close to tears.

In another part of the Triple Zero call Phoebe had said: 'I just know he's angry and I know he's alone and he's just acting like a f***ing idiot.'

Three days before the incident Burgess had gone to the Hooke home to discuss aspects of the breakdown of his marriage with his father-in-law.

Mr Hooke saw Burgess walking down his driveway and whistled at him to attract his attention. The pair then sat down to talk in a machinery shed.

'It was calm, it was considered,' Mr Hook told the court. 'It was awkward. Sam was very emotion Burgess went to the Hooke home on October 16, three days before he allegedly threatened his father-in-law, to discuss aspects of the breakdown of his marriage. Mr Hooke (pictured) saw Burgess walking down his driveway and whistled at him to attract his attention

'He opened up by saying he was unhappy. The reason the marriage had failed was because it was unhappy.'

'I said, "Sam, you've got to learn to love yourself before you can love others. If you love somebody you'll die for them".'

Burgess has denied unrelated allegations of a drug-fuelled episode in the marital home in November 2018 when Phoebe was pregnant with Billy.

Those untested accusations were published in The Australian newspaper on October 2 and 4 this year with the assistance of Phoebe and Mr Hooke.

Lawyer Mark O'Brien, acting for Burgess, said last month: 'The allegations are false and constitute an indefensible defamation against my client.'

'It is apparent sources of the false allegations are those currently in dispute with my client over various issues.'

Phoebe Burgess' family gather for a barbecue after court hearing

Phoebe has since admitted she gave The Australian a statement which formed the basis for the articles and her father said he spoke to a reporter.

One of the authors of the articles, journalist Sharri Markson, had been Phoebe's editor at a magazine and he had agreed to her request to interview him.

Mr Hooke, onetime CEO of the Minerals Council of Australia, had also had previous professional dealings with Markson.

The 64-year-old was interviewed by Markson upon his retirement in 2013 and once offered her advice before she appeared as part of a panel on a television program.

Both he and Phoebe have denied they co-operated with the newspaper as part of a campaign of 'orchestrated propaganda' intended to destroy Burgess's reputation.

Burgess has not spoken publicly about the criminal charges or the accusations in The Australian.

In March, Phoebe told Stellar magazine she was adjusting to life as a single mother of two toddlers.

'I had an idea about how I wanted them to grow up and that's not going to happen now,' she said.

'I'm just trying to keep up with them at the moment and make sure they’re surrounded by love, regardless of how that family looks.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ss-famous-surname-despite-accusing-abuse.html
Phoebe Burgess will keep using ex-husband Sam Burgess's famous surname despite accusing him of abuse

Last edited: