What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Drunk' Dragons investigated

innsaneink

Referee
'Drunk' Dragons investigated
By Laine Clark
August 26, 2005

NRL premiership favourites St George-Illawarra will investigate a drunken incident involving "leading players" at a Wollongong hotel in New South Wales.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust tonight said he would get to the bottom of claims that several high-profile players "behaved inappropriately" at the pub last Monday night.

After six straight wins, the Dragons were given four days off by coach Nathan Brown as they enjoyed a welcome bye.

But Doust said tonight several players had been involved in a drunken incident at a Wollongong pub which prompted a club investigation.

Doust said Dragons players were "a little exuberant" but could not confirm the full details until the players returned from their break on Monday.

"The players were at the hotel on Monday evening, I've yet to clarify the specifics of it so I can't comment on the degree of it or the circumstances," he said.

"I don't think it is a worry from what I understand at the moment.

"After a pretty long campaign over the last few weeks they were given four days off training by the coach.

"They were out during the day, they were out enjoying themselves and they were maybe a little exuberant - (but) they didn't damage anything or affront anyone.

"The publican at the hotel had no concerns or received complaints about their behaviour.

"But by the same token some parts of the media have sought to report the fact that there was some behaviour that needs to be questioned and we are looking into it."

Channel 9 reported that Doust would consider fining players if they were found to be in the wrong, however, the Dragons boss tonight told AAP it was premature discussing any punishment.

"All the guys are away for the weekend. We won't be getting back together until Monday so I will be talking to the coach and the players then," he said.

"I've got to get to the bottom of it first before I determine what action is taken by us. "But specifics have been spoken to them (players) about discipline both on and off the field."

AAP
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16394205-27561,00.html

Innappropriate behaviour in pubs eh?
I thought that was the place for it.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Meh...didnt bother reading after the first line.

Players need only to fart these days to be accused of inappropriate behaviour. Its playing like a broken record now..and a Spice Girls record at that.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Tommy Smith said:
Meh...didnt bother reading after the first line.

Players need only to fart these days to be accused of inappropriate behaviour. Its playing like a broken record now..and a Spice Girls record at that.

It must be Wollongong's attractive postcode that give Saints a "Party Boy" atmosphere!!

Illawarra Mercury

MAD MONDAY

By LAINE CLARK
August 27, 2005

NRL title favourites St George Illawarra will investigate a drunken incident involving "leading players" at a Wollongong hotel.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust last night said he would get to the bottom of claims that several high-profile players "behaved inappropriately" at the Open Hearth Hotel in Warrawong on Monday night.

After six straight wins, the Dragons were given four days off by coach Nathan Brown as the club's top squad enjoyed a welcome round 25 bye.

But Doust said several players had been involved in a drunken incident at the King St pub which prompted a club investigation.

Doust said Dragons players were "a little exuberant" but could not confirm the full details until the players returned from their break on Monday.

bartman

Immortal
How about people lik Laine Clark spend their time writing about what happens on field?

Telegraph/News Limited? Of course, should have known...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Can't be too earth shattering.

The hotel doesnt seem to care and no one has lodged a complaint. And It took four or five days before anyone thought to make a deal of it.
Must have been a slow news day.

The guts of the article...

"They were out during the day, they were out enjoying themselves and they were maybe a little exuberant - (but) they didn't damage anything or affront anyone.

"The publican at the hotel had no concerns or received complaints about their behaviour.

"But by the same token some parts of the media have sought to report the fact that there was some behaviour that needs to be questioned and we are looking into it."

God-King Dean

Immortal
Didn't damage anything or anyone. The pub had no concerns or complaints.

BUT, some parts of the media are questioning their behaviour.

LOL, scraping for a story at it's finest.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Oh dear...."exuberance"....we can't have that!

:shock:

I think it's time to strip the Dragons of their competition points...

Cletus

First Grade
Willow said:
Can't be too earth shattering.

The hotel doesnt seem to care and no one has lodged a complaint. And It took four or five days before anyone thought to make a deal of it.
Must have been a slow news day.

The guts of the article...

But those are the usual lines they trot out after an incident. Sounds like a storm in a teacup really but i'd believe management in damage control about as much as anything I read in the Tele.

Jimbo

Immortal
'Dragons' and 'alcohol' being mentioned in the same sentence.

What are the odds?

:roll:

mickdo

Coach
taxidriver said:
publican had no concerns
nothing was damaged
nobody was hurt

beat up
That's what Doust said, but what else would you expect him to say? My guess is the truth is probably somewhere in between the two stories.