What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan V Coote

Dugan v Coote

• Josh Dugan

Votes: 56 77.8%
  • Lachlan Coote

Votes: 16 22.2%

• Total voters

skeepe

Immortal
Josh Dugan is already the second best fullback in the NRL statistically, only behind Jarryd Hayne.

But I think the real making of him will be how he plays next season. Plenty of players have looked great in their debut year only to fall in a heap the year after.

Green Machine

First Grade
I think Josh Dugan is a wonderful talent, but I worry about the way he is getting belted in first grade. I’d like to see him put on more weight in the off season.

Hanscholo

Bench
Dugan is all class. Coote is yet to impress me. I just hope for Dugans sake he doesnt get bashed every game and end up not being able to run.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think that it will be the supporters of the sides who have thrashed us in the recent weeks that probably would be most impressed by Dugan. He seems to play good no matter the circumstances at present. So when a side is basically destroying us he will be making try saving tackles and tackle busts to give the Raiders even a small chance of a win.

I still remember on debut he made two excellent try saving tackles against the Sharks and basically won us the game with them.

caylo

Bench
Dugan will be the best fullback in the competition by the end of 2011. He will be the NSW fullback in 2011, 2012 at the latest, and the Australian fullback in 2012, at the latest 2013. And even then he will only be 22.

Almost willing to say that Dugan will be a better fullback than Lockyer. Comparisons to Coote are laughable. Locke is better than Coote, but not even in the ballpark when it comes to Dugan.

Dugan will also soon take over the goalkicking at Canberra, and he comfortably kicks at 85+%. Gordon @ Penrith is perhaps a better goalkicker, but he'd be the only one.

State of Origin fullback battles will be intense .. Dugan vs Boyd, the two best fullbacks in the world by end 2011. Boyd could, and in my opinion probably will, oust Slater at fullback as early as next season.

By 2011, there are probably 5-6 players who will get the #1 for NSW (letalone Australia) in 2011 or 2012 before Dugan. The guy has played how many games, remember a week in footy is along time let alone a few years. Guys like Jennings and Hayne have taken a few years to cement themselves in the NRL and these guys are probably some of the best jnrs the NRL has seen for along time (along with Inglus and Falou-they have had the luxtury of a strong/successful team behind them).

Dugan is a prospect but dont insult players like Hayne, Bowan, Slater, Stewart, Kidley, Patten and McKinnon who have been around for along time and done what this kid has shown for 5-10 rounds over many years.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think the fact he is a rookie in a rubbish side and performing so consistently is what is giving him such wraps.

Its all well and good to be a talented kid in a brilliant side, but he has carried the Raiders in games this year.

Against the bullddogs he made one of our only clean breaks and he pulled off 3 or so try saving tackles. When the rest of the side is making a bunch of mistakes I find that pretty impressive.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
That's the thing - he's not. The kid looks like he hasn't eaten in a week. When he bulks up over the off-season and puts on some more kilos it'll be scary to see what he's like.

I think he is deceptively big. According to his profile he is 6'2 and 88 kilos. He could probably afford to be somewhere around the 93-95 kilo mark I guess.

He is bigger than he looks ;)

caylo

Bench
I think the fact he is a rookie in a rubbish side and performing so consistently is what is giving him such wraps.

Its all well and good to be a talented kid in a brilliant side, but he has carried the Raiders in games this year.

Against the bullddogs he made one of our only clean breaks and he pulled off 3 or so try saving tackles. When the rest of the side is making a bunch of mistakes I find that pretty impressive.

Mate McKinnon did that for 2-3 seasons behind a struggling pack at parramatta, I remember once him holding Sims up over the line 1-on-1 after he strolled through the whole team plus he was always there in support. These days you see fullbacks like Slater, Campbell and Bowan saving tries... if he isnt stopping those tries he isnt doing his job.

There are so many quality fullbacks these days and IMO he is just not as talented as someone like Hayne, Stewart, Slater, Bowan or Boyd. Alot of teams get excited when jnrs step up, most of it is the unknown factor and they get figured out quickly but the same has occured with players like Mortimer this year at parramatta. You can not judge a players true ability until a few seasons in the NRL and there is no chance he will play origin within the next 3 years IMO

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Mate he was the best player in under 20s this year by kilometres so if he is lacking talent what does that say for the other players coming through.

caylo

Bench
Pete never said he lacked talent just simply not as talented in an era of so many talented fullbacks. Calls for him being better than lockyer and Aus and NSW fullback within 2-3 years is laughable...

watatank

Coach
A lot of fullbacks have come through of late from NYC. We have got Coote, Dugan and Locke coming through, there's every chance mini Hoppa will get a run next year and Cronulla have brought a few players through.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
2-3 years is a long time.

I don't see how he is less talented than anyone really. He has only played a handful of games and has already shown some pretty impressive stuff. He can read a game of football very well which isn't a talent that necessarily comes young and he is just a smart player.

He is already a good player. Are you proposing he is going to get worse or something. Even if he just develops at a reasonable rate he is going to be brilliant at 21. I mean things like injuries happen but its not like he is in the Raiders side on potential only. He is already probably the Raiders best player.

caylo

Bench
2-3 years is a long time.

I don't see how he is less talented than anyone really. He has only played a handful of games and has already shown some pretty impressive stuff. He can read a game of football very well which isn't a talent that necessarily comes young and he is just a smart player.

He is already a good player. Are you proposing he is going to get worse or something. Even if he just develops at a reasonable rate he is going to be brilliant at 21. I mean things like injuries happen but its not like he is in the Raiders side on potential only. He is already probably the Raiders best player.

Player dont just develop at a constant rate, look at Hayne started with a bang then died down and then produced again. The NRL requires mental strength more than skill, speed or size. The kid could be the most skillful player in the world bu he will get found out and he will have to evolve his game and not everyone can deal with that.

IMO I don't see dugan as a ball player rather a running back, he isnt overly quick or strong but rather a smart and hard working player (reminds me of McKinnon tbh) but it doesnt mean he will be the best player in the world or the worst just IMO he does not have the weapons someone like Hayne, Inglus, Hodges or Stewart has.

Lets also remember someone like Hayne is only 21 and Dugan will always be competing with him at the very least plus there are players who come through the ranks every year like Hopa, stapelton this year also looks good, Gardner(sharks next year) etc. Just remember Firman was rookie of the year and then forgot how to play footy... Dugan is not proven at first grade yet, he can only prove himself in time and with consistant performances.

keeney

First Grade
I think that it will be the supporters of the sides who have thrashed us in the recent weeks that probably would be most impressed by Dugan. He seems to play good no matter the circumstances at present. So when a side is basically destroying us he will be making try saving tackles and tackle busts to give the Raiders even a small chance of a win.

I still remember on debut he made two excellent try saving tackles against the Sharks and basically won us the game with them.

Just quietly, who do you support? Your constant referencing of the Raiders as 'us' complicates things when you have a Knights banner. No slight intended, be as transient as you desire.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Player dont just develop at a constant rate, look at Hayne started with a bang then died down and then produced again. The NRL requires mental strength more than skill, speed or size. The kid could be the most skillful player in the world bu he will get found out and he will have to evolve his game and not everyone can deal with that.

IMO I don't see dugan as a ball player rather a running back, he isnt overly quick or strong but rather a smart and hard working player (reminds me of McKinnon tbh) but it doesnt mean he will be the best player in the world or the worst just IMO he does not have the weapons someone like Hayne, Inglus, Hodges or Stewart has.

Dugan is a ball playing back though ?? He chips in during Raiders backline movements all the time.

How many games with Josh Dugan playing have you watched because he quite clearly has pretty good ball handling skills. Its no big deal if someone doesn't rate Dugan, but you are just saying all kinds of crazy sh*t now.

Keeney- I made a signature bet during the Knights/Raiders game. I support the Raiders though.

keeney

First Grade
Right, fair enough. I was just curious/a touch confused. I suppose I shouldn't be questioning signatures when the team I adore beyond words remains in 2008 in mine.

shear_joy9

Coach

I think you should watch dugan play a few more times before you jump to your looney conclusions

Latest posts