What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dykes move is dependent on another release.

Avenger

Immortal
I spoke to a friend who is very close to the Cronulla club and is always on the money. Apparently Dykes will be released only if we sign some other player that is under contract from another club. He does not know or will not tell me who it is. Colonel Eel has also heard this rumour. I hope its true. I am racking my brain to work out who it might be. Knowing our coach its probably someone like Keiran Kerr. Would much prefer the Dogs premier league half. I have heard that he is quite good. Any takers on who it might be??

The Colonel

Immortal
Well that would do, just but only just.

Be interesting to see....... I have some ideas but I'll keep them to myself for now.

Stagger eel

Staff member
This whole thing is getting really weird???

the players that you mentioned Kieron Kerr and Brett Oliver are both of contract!! so as far as I'm aware they not tied up at all, unless they have signed with their respective clubs.

on another thread {Depth] It was mentioned by MC who is the 2GB rumour monger that Vaeliki may not be there next year!! other threads have got Vella signing with the Tigers.

f**k knows whats going on!!!

Avenger

Immortal
Vaealiki might not be here for 2 reasons. One is that he has shown ordinary form for 2 years and the other thing is that recovering from an achilles injury is very very difficult. The former Dogs centre, Tonny Currie did it and never came back the same player, lost plenty of pace and retired prematurely.

Vaealiki cannot afford to lose any pace as he does not have any.

Parraren

Bench
I don't think it's a Premier League player like Kerr or Oliver. I reckon it's definitely a pretty big name NRL or Super League halfback otherwise why would we bother releasing Dykes?

I'd be very surprised if Vaealiki was released as he's always been one of Smithy's favourites.

It's very interesting though because the club is yet to make a formal announcement of Glenn Morrison's signature so there appears to be alot happening behind the scenes that we're not aware of yet...

Stagger eel

Staff member
what concerns me is going into next year with only Tahu a recognised centre!!....I really hope we do keep him.

The Colonel

Immortal
O'Dwyer played left centre on the weekend in PL eelevation and from all accounts carved big time including one 50 metre break. With he, Tahu, Ben Smith and Graham it could well be closer to the truth then we think.

Eels Dude

Coach
An interesting situation. I think it would be silly to release Dykes unless there is some other high quality player we can sign instead. I don't want us letting go Dykes and then buying 5 reserve graders from other clubs. I hope Vella and Vaealiki aren't on the outter, we have to keep some stability in the side. We can't just mix and match the side every single year we have to simply let them gel.

Parraren

Bench
what concerns me is going into next year with only Tahu a recognised centre!!....I really hope we do keep him.

I've got the same concerns, especially because Tahu is not even really a recognised centre! I think we have got 2 very good young guys in Ben Smith & Luke O'Dwyer who can certainly do the job for us in the centres as well as Luke Burt who seems to have found a home at left centre in the last month despite the fact that I'd prefer to see him on the wing.

Colonel, don't be shy, spill the beans. Speculation is fun ;-)

Parraren

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
O'Dwyer played left centre on the weekend in PL eelevation and from all accounts carved big time including one 50 metre break. With he, Tahu, Ben Smith and Graham it could well be closer to the truth then we think.

Shit yeah, I forgot about Graham as well. Hopefully we'll see him back to his best next year, perhaps in the centres? :-k

yy_cheng

Coach
Offload Lyon and get Fitler here for a year and have Witt inside him. Might give the guys some confidence and a WINNING ATTITUDE albeit for a year.

Eels Dude

Coach
Parraren said:

I've got the same concerns, especially because Tahu is not even really a recognised centre! I

I don't know why people keep saying Tahu isn't a recognized centre. Tahu played his first full year of first grade (2000) in the centres and finished near the top of the try scorers for the season. He can handle it.

Parraren

Bench
I don't know why people keep saying Tahu isn't a recognized centre. Tahu played his first full year of first grade (2000) in the centres and finished near the top of the try scorers for the season. He can handle it.

Well he's played all his rep footy and the majority of his club footy on the wing so I guess that's why. I do think he's big and strong enough to play in the centres (preferably left centre next to Grothe) but I wouldn't call him a "recognised centre" just yet.