What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dylan Brown is overrated

emjaycee

Coach
Agree. Our defense is woefull.when we turn the ball over inside the opponents 10mtrs we let them out to easily. We need to be brutal and bash sides when in these situations and keep the momentum. I reckon it is our biggest weakness along with kick chase.
Both relate to attitude which is sorted out between the ears.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I reckon our defence under BA peaked in the 2021 semi final which we ironically lost.

Penrith scored 1 try off a little dinky grubber which ricocheted from memory into Capewell and he dived on it.

Unfortunately we just didn't have enough ball that game and didn't get the rub of the green on a few decisions.

But we spent a lot of that game defending our tryline certainly more then Penrith. The desperation and will to not let them score we only seemed to want to show that 2 or 3 times a year which was the most frustrating part.

hindy111

Post Whore
I reckon our defence under BA peaked in the 2021 semi final which we ironically lost.

Penrith scored 1 try off a little dinky grubber which ricocheted from memory into Capewell and he dived on it.

Unfortunately we just didn't have enough ball that game and didn't get the rub of the green on a few decisions.

But we spent a lot of that game defending our tryline certainly more then Penrith. The desperation and will to not let them score we only seemed to want to show that 2 or 3 times a year which was the most frustrating part.

Penrith best side over the last 5yrs was also 2022 which was unlucky that it was the year we peaked.
They basically won it again the following season without Burton,Kikau,Capewell and Luai half busted and half a game.

T-Boon

Coach
Wow really???

I love great defense
I like it when Parra is producing it (rare). It’s a source of pride in one’s own team and I agree it’s more than half the game now.
But in neutral games I see “good” defense for what it is. Easy / boring / “bend don’t break” / park the bus / It’s a straight line FFS / dark arts / wrestling / chicken wings / spoiling tactics / gang tackling / hip drops.
Give me line breaks, missed tackles dominant attack any day.

Gronk

Staff member
I don't disagree.

My idea of moving him to the centres is just to take the playmaking burden away from him - let him focus just on tackling, and running.
Centres are good players, just not good enough to play in the 1,6 or 7.

Starving him of the ball solves nothing.

Gronk

Staff member
Giving him heaps of ball hasn't solved anything, either.
I can't agree that the problems with Dylan are as bad as some are promoting in this thread. Certainly not enough to warrant a position switch.

Im Not No Way GIF

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I can't agree that the problems with Dylan are as bad as some are promoting in this thread. Certainly not enough to warrant a position switch.

Im Not No Way GIF

ironic isn't it, we moved him to no 7 and he didn't perform like Mitch, yet he gets criticised for it

so yeah, let's move him somewhere else and we can criticize him some more, or here's a thought, we could play him in his preferred position at 6

Eelementary

Post Whore

Im Not No Way GIF

I don't think he's doing enough at 6 to warrant his salary, really.

And I don't think he is a dependable 5/8 - struggles with decision-making.

Moving him takes some of that our of the equation.

I think Dylan's front line defence is fine, but he's not an organising half/five eighth (and probably isn't going to be.

If we had someone (cheaper) to better fit the bill or combine with Moses in that position, then Dylan would be handy at centre plugging some of our leaky defence there, but also being just as dangerous in attack albeit a little wider.

ImTheMan

Juniors
ironic isn't it, we moved him to no 7 and he didn't perform like Mitch, yet he gets criticised for it

so yeah, let's move him somewhere else and we can criticize him some more, or here's a thought, we could play him in his preferred position at 6
Hayne would make a better 6 with eight months of a fitness program next year, I am not exaggerating. This is actually fact. He would also probably defend better in the backs, think Joel Reddy towards the end of his career but more attacking prowess.

Maybe we can bring back Arthur and save some coin??? Brown has good games but they usually surprise me rather than expected.

Last edited:

ImTheMan

Juniors
The problem with Dylan is he has average strike players outside him. Imagine having Kikau,Crighton,JAC. AND Dylan's running at you. The defense wouldn't know what to do.
Instead he has Russel,Talagi and Kelma. Tbf Kelmas looking ok but defense are worried about them so they focus on Dylan.
On top of that our old slow forwards ar getting slow play the balls so the defense is always set inside the red zone. By time Dylan gets the ball Everyman is marked. His only option is stepping back in and running himself. If he passes it ruins the next play as you are to far wide to do anything.
The problem with Sandow is he has average strike players outside him.

The problem with Tim Smith is he has average strike players outside him.

The problem with....

Hayne would make a better 6 with eight months of a fitness program next year, I am not exaggerating. This is actually fact.
I think you are, and I think it's not.
He would also probably defend better in the backs, think Joel Reddy towards the end of his career but more attacking prowess.
Hayne a better defender in the backs than Dylan? Hayne defence in the front line when he was selected there.
Maybe we can bring back Arthur and save some coin??? Brown has good games but they usually surprise me rather than expected.
Jake? Yep, he might flourish in his own right with Dad away from the joint and less pressure. His contract with Blacktown expires end 2025, but perhaps could be a potential early release.

Eelogical

Referee
The guy is a space cadet. He’s a good, not great player and not earning his keep as far as I’m concerned.
If only the coach had spoken to him he wouldn't have thought we were first. I agree with your assessment of his playing abilities but I suppose it's hard to shine in a team that's down on form and talent.

If as a player you're not aware of your teams position on the ladder, it shows you have no a) brain or b) passion. Disappointing for a supposed leader in our team/club.