What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eagles Round One!

Langers

Juniors
MN: I think it is pretty unlikely that Watmough would get dropped. Along with Hicks he was our best this year. He even won the players' player award. I also think Kite is much better as a prop. As a second rower in the past he has been only average. And I presume you meant the 18th man to be Glenn Stewart? A lot of supporters from other clubs seem keen to get Hecks into the starting lineup, which considering his form last year, is merited. However he simply doesn't have the same ability as Jason King and Brent Kite.

oldmancraigy

Coach
fish said:
Mate your welcome to give your opinion but when you refer to our top defensive player as a no hoper what other conclusion could I draw.Have a look at his stats and they are comparable to any of the other NRL sides devensive work horses.He doesn't get the plaudits of some of the flashier players but is just as if not more important than them,I would have him in our squad anyday.Without our new signins He and Hecks would be first picked in the pack as without Willo we would see more scorelines as we did in 2003 when he was out injured thanks to that germ from Canberra.

Manly's defense wasn't really top-notch last year... and Williamson played most of it!

Watch the guy play - he seems to miss a bevy of tackles right on the line leading directly to tries, and he "stacks" his tackle count by being third or even fourth man in on tackles that are pretty well complete! He's the same sort of player as Daniel Wagon - all guts and determination, but not possessing the talent to offer anything more than a role-player. And I think that role is better played by others in your side!

Anyway - maybe I'm wrong, maybe not - let's see in 2K5!

oldmancraigy

Coach
CliffyIsGod said:
I would be tempted to get rid of Hoppa, Hick to the wing and Alberts to the centres -- depending on how Alberts goes in the trials.

Your team is barely different to mine - 1 change to the starting lineup! IF I'm an idiot then you are too :D

Have you seen Albert play - I've been hearing a LOT about him from a friend who is excited, I wonder how he'll go, will he be fit etc - if so could be useful!

You wouldn't have Sam Harris and Solomon Haumono in your team? I know they both had their downs this year, and they are both pretty sloppy defenders, but they are both big impact players - maybe keeping one of them in first grade would work?

eagleangel

Juniors
CliffyIsGod said:
1. Brett Stewart
2. Scott Donald
3. Chris Hicks
4. Paul Stephenson
5. John Hopoate
6. Michael Witt
7. Michael Monaghan (c)
8. Brent Kite
9. Chad Randall
10. Jason King
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Steve Menzies

14. Kylie Leului
15. Daniel Heckenberg
15. Glenn Stewart
16. Luke Williamson.

I would be tempted to get rid of Hoppa, Hick to the wing and Alberts to the centres -- depending on how Alberts goes in the trials.

:clap: Brilliant. Completely agree!

I watched the manly vs newcastle game again today.. makes me excited about next year! BK had a fantastic game (despite being in such a badly beaten side) and i watched glenn stewart closely and he's even more incredible than i remembered.. he'll be challenging for a starting spot sooner rather than later!

CC_Eagle

First Grade
#1 - Brett Stewart
#2 - Scott Donald
#3 - Paul Stephenson
#4 - Ashley Alberts
#5 - Chris Hicks
#6 - Michael Witt
#7 - Michael Monaghan
#8 - Brent Kite
#9 - Chad Randall
#10 - Jason King
#11-Anthony Watmough
#12-Ben Kennedy
#13-Steve Menzies

#14-Kylie Leuluai
#15-Luke Williamson
#16-Daniel Heckenberg
#17-Sam Harris

I see no room for Haumono..He will be useful if we get injuries to the starting props but otherwise he is best used in PL. He showed nearly no form last year. The only thing he did show is that he isn't as fast as the club claims and has a major issue with ball security.
Hopoate will fight for a bench spot. He isn't as young as he used to be and has lost what real pace he had so it would be stupid to have him on the wing. He would be best used off the bench.
Now that Chad is fully fit I don't think Dunley will be required on the bench. Dunley's attack is equal with Chad's but his defence is a major problem. Where as Chad is one of the best defensive players in the side.
Williamson must be in the team. End of story. He would be useful anywhere as he can slot into 2nd row,hooker,five eighth or centre. He made 800 odd tackles in 04 which is an average of 33-34. There isn't a better defensive player in the comp than Willow.
Heckenberg while isn't a flashy prop with excellent ball skills and agility, but he gets the job done and does it well with no fuss or errors. A must for the starting 17.
Harris will have to fight to keep his spot as Glenn Stewart will be keeping him on his heels all season.
If Alberts turns out to be a dud, or Steppa's defence is still a problem then Hicks can always slot back to the centres and either; Creary,Taylor or Peachey could be played on the other wing with no fuss.

2005 is looking very nice! I can't believe the amount of front row/second row depth we have...

The best Manly side (on paper anyway) since the mid nineties.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Magpie Nick

Juniors
groggo said:
terry hill?????? since when :thumnn

It's implying I think you guys will sign him... You have already come out and sais your waiting for him to lose some weight before you 'look' at him..

fish

Juniors
Manly's defense wasn't really top-notch last year... and Williamson played most of it!

Watch the guy play - he seems to miss a bevy of tackles right on the line leading directly to tries, and he "stacks" his tackle count by being third or even fourth man in on tackles that are pretty well complete! He's the same sort of player as Daniel Wagon - all guts and determination, but not possessing the talent to offer anything more than a role-player. And I think that role is better played by others in your side!

Anyway - maybe I'm wrong, maybe not - let's see in 2K5

I would put his few mistackles down to the pea hearts standing beside him trying to resemble a defensive line.As I said he is not a flashy player but he gives 100% which can not be said for alot of his team mates,as you said we will see next season but on heart alone Willo would be one of the first hanfull chosen if I had any say in the matter.

borat

Bench
Manly's Forward pack and bench are just awesome but I still can't help thinking the defense in the backline is going to let you down.

Disco

Bench
1. Brett Stewart
2. Scott Donald
3. Chris Hicks
4. Paul Stephenson/Ashley Alberts
5. John Hopoate
6. Michael Witt (gk)
7. Michael Monaghan (c)
8. Brent Kite
9. Chad Randall
10. Jason King
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Steve Menzies

Interchange:
14. Kylie Leuluai
15. Sam Harris
16. Luke Williamson/Glen Stewart
17. Daniel Heckenberg

Coach: Des Hasler

Briza

Juniors
I agree with CC's post entirely, but changed BK to lock.

#1 - Brett Stewart
#2 - Scott Donald
#3 - Paul Stephenson *
#4 - Ashley Alberts *
#5 - Chris Hicks
#6 - Michael Witt
#7 - Michael Monaghan
#8 - Brent Kite
#9 - Chad Randall
#10 - Jason King
#11-Anthony Watmough
#12-Steve Menzies
#13-Ben Kennedy

#14-Kylie Leuluai
#15-Luke Williamson
#16-Daniel Heckenberg
#17-Sam Harris *

* Will have to play good consistant Footy to keep their spots in the 17.

Preniers

Juniors
This is different but could work

1 Stewart
2 Donald
3 Williamson
4 Hill
5 Hicks
6 Witt
7 Monogham
8 Hopoate
9 Randall
10 KIte
11 Watmough
12 Kennedy
13 Steve Menzies

14 King
15 Leuluai
16 Harris
17 Heckenburg (Hoppa won't survive a whole match)

It's different, maybe even starting Heckenburg or King at #10 and then bringing Hoppa on half way through the match.

Anonymous

Juniors
Hoppa will be a PL player next year I reckon, there is no way i would play him in the forwards. if i did I would play him off the bench only