What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Season Report Card

Dave Q

Coach
Team Report (100)

Wesser 25%
Flash 47%
Jennings: 23%
Rooney 48%
Gowie 55%
Priddo 55%
Clinton 39%
Frank: 67%
Tony 55%
Pritchard: 17%
Aiton 30%
Lewis 56%

Elliot: 50% no better or worse than Lang at this time. Jury's still out.

Will be amongst the bottom 4 teams in the NRL at the end of the season at this rate.

Not tackling, easily distracted, major application required. Capable of much better.

Positions Vacant for next season, strangely, I find myself pretty much in agreement with Big Mick.

Dave Q

Coach
MIGHTY PANTHER MAN said:
If you dont mind me asking what does the percentages represent Dave?

Just a rating out of 100.

Nothing to do with their effort or even whether or not I think they should stay.

Thus I support Joel Clinton ( see wooden spooners thread).

But right now I rate Frank as the best (uninjured) Panther. Hes way ahead of the curve.

I followed him when he was at Souths. He was pretty flat at the time, but he showed glimpses of his talent.

A couple of years ago, you would never have thought he would hit these dizzy heights (in terms of the near-glamourous Panther side) and then he was very nearly lost to the Titans. He's playing above expectations and everyone's probably enjoying it. I know I am.

Thus we see Elliot really lifting a standard player like Frank to new heights but unable to charge up Peanuts & Sugar who it may be argued have more natural ability. That dilemma gives us an insight into the very hard job that is coaching.

As a scientific exercise, you cant compare coaches anyway. You give them a goal, resources, time and cross your fingers.

And Elliot has been careful to share his dissapointment with us. He's engaging us with the program and that supports him.

The club knew this squad would struggle this year, they told everyone last year. It was the degree of the decline that was the intellectual exercise. People's feelings are never wrong, but it helps to have the broader understanding. And you can see posters here a bit more future-focused. Of course if its several years of the same, people are continually dissapointed. I know that feeling too well.

I hear Panther recruitment is very busy, but they have been for awhile. These tepid performances add impetus and maybe stress that effort.

We already see Elliot making somewhat radical manouvres in selections and on balance against Saints they seemed somewhat re-energised. But there is no one answer, its many and they change as often as the questions are put.

A friend of mine close to the club, he doesnt hold Elliot accountable at all. Not one iota.

The other day, JT gave a long interview about coaching on ABC radio. If you can find it somewhere on their website, it was pretty fascinating.

QldPanther

Juniors
Coach has done extremely well as senior players have disappointed. A win in Brisbane was great (we had 20 supporters from the Qld Supporters Group there). Highlight was Peter Wallace's miraculous field goal. Our poorest effort was against the Dragons but we bounced back with a win in North Queensland. Next four weeks will determine our season. Our best players have been Frank Puletua, Luke Rooney until injured and Mick Gordon. So far we're rating about 45/100 with plenty of improvement to finish mid table required.

Panthers888

Juniors
Wesser 45%
Flash 70%
Jennings: 90%
Rooney 65%
Gowie 45%
Priddo 45%
Clinton 59%
Frank: 82%
Tony 45%
Pritchard: 77%
Aiton 50%
Lewis 76%

pantherz9103

First Grade
I think we can beat the Tigers as they will be due for a loss soon and we have a great record against them. If we beat the Tigers then the challenge will be to keep the streak going. But I don't want them to get ahead of themselves, if they fail to turn up like they did v the Titans and Canberra then the game will definately be a loss.

Dave Q

Coach
Pantherin2005 said:
Coach has done extremely well as senior players have disappointed. A win in Brisbane was great (we had 20 supporters from the Qld Supporters Group there). Highlight was Peter Wallace's miraculous field goal. Our poorest effort was against the Dragons but we bounced back with a win in North Queensland. Next four weeks will determine our season. Our best players have been Frank Puletua, Luke Rooney until injured and Mick Gordon. So far we're rating about 45/100 with plenty of improvement to finish mid table required.

Short and sweet analysis.

Thanks.

Kilkenny

Coach
The only difference between the performance against the Cowboys and one or two of our other performances was we came away with the two points. I thought our performance was generally poor.

Make or break in more ways than one this week against the in form West Tigers.

Our home form in the last season or two has been appalling and I am not confident at all about this week.

Big Mick

Referee
I agree Kilkenny...we wern't great against the Cowboys...with regards to execution but that comes with coinfidence.

I think the most encouraging part of the performance was the way the guys banded together and played for each other. Desperation in defence was a key to that victory. Attack left a bit to be desired, but defence was rock solid....not many teams go up to North Queensland and come away with a win...so we can take solice in that.

But the real test is this week. I'll be there with a group of mates from work and it should be outstanding. Our home form has been crap granted. but we have a decent record against the Tigers and I got a feeling we'll be seeing one Shane Rodney back in the line up this week...with Dean Caldwell and Brett Firman lining up in PL.

PEPPSY

Juniors
I reckon our worst performance has been against the Raiders. We always seem to lose to the teams we should beat.

EzyG

Juniors
Agree with you re: your post on optimism Kilkenny.
Disapointing as it has been, we are just a couple of wins outside the 8 + thet threat of demotion, hoping/expecting a big game this weekend.

The optimisim returns

Kilkenny

Coach
Approaching the mid way point of the season and its imperative we string four or five wins back to back to kick start the season and have any chance of making the eight.

The frustration of the fans feelings is reflected on our forum on League Unlimited which I must say has been really quiet in recent weeks.

The players remain optimistic they can turn things around and are determined to grab the two points this week.

Big Mick

Referee
didn't do it today.

Very disappointing but when we think we had two guys injured, a few others walking wounded ... then yeah.

Kilkenny

Coach
Mick, I consider myself an optimist. I have supported the Panthers religously since 1970 and always will.

In relation to this season, I am starting to come around to thinking maybe, just maybe it's time to move on from the 2003 -2004 side.

Just maybe we do actually need to move on and perhaps the like of Big T, Priddis and Rooney need to be released and maybe we need a total overhaul.

I have had the blinkers on and refused to accept such suggestions as I have stuck solid with the nucleus of our established stars.

The fact is we are just not cutting it anymore. Our forwards no longer dominate like they did in 03-04. There is definitely something missing. Maybe, while it hurts me to say, maybe the hunger simply isn't there anymore. Sure they are trying, they are giving a 100% but the hunger just isn't there. Maybe they are playing more for the paychecks than from the heart. I dont know, I really dont.

The only thing I really know is the nucleus of the side is the same from 03-04 and they dont do the business any more and that is clearly evident from 05/06 and now 07.

Latest posts