What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early team vs Tigers

Frailty

First Grade
Looking like Hynes had injured his ankle at training….

Guess we’re going back to Atkinson-Trindall in the halves.

Frenzy.

Immortal
1. Mulitalo - wrong
2. Katoa
3. Iro
4. Ramien
5. Stonestreet - wrong
6. Trindall - wrong
7. Atkinson - wrong
8. Talakai - wrong
9. McInness - wrong
10. Tapu Hua - wrong
11. Wilton
12. Nikora
13. Hynes - wrong

14. Brailey - wrong
15. Hunt
16. Williams - wrong
17. Colquhoun
Did well

fizman

Bench
In the golden days of Rugby League when there were 3 grades, the First Graders would watch the Reserves before warming up.

If the Reserve Grader was having a blinder it would actually send a message to the First Grader in that position - “I better perform or I’m out.”

It was the internal pressure that drove performance.

I would dare say that in today’s climate, the Top 30 wouldn’t have a clue about what levels the others are performing at.

I am a huge proponent of the old system - I see Newtown as our “Reserve Grade” team. I cannot believe that we played DA on the Wing - for me it’s next man up in that position, if that was Rodwell, I would have picked him.

My biggest concern is that we have players running around for Newtown who given the opportunity can perform at NRL level - I still believe Berell is an NRL quality Hooker, he just needs the opportunity to have that quality of player around him.

If the Newtown players are not in a position to be selected for the NRL there is no point having them on the books.

Quigs

Immortal
Third Grade was fun to watch when the sides had two or three old blockheaded dinosaurs that would "introduce" the young kids to graded footy.

Gatekeepers so to speak, "Who goes there?"

I loved watching the 3 grades, in late 80's I was season ticket holder sat next too 2 couples who had been going since Sutherland oval days.
One of the guys said he was there day Gavin Miller played all 3 grades.

Big Bloke

Juniors
Yep, totally agree about the 3 grade days. I'd come to Shark Park around 11.30am, grab a pie, chips and drink, get into my seat and watch the 3rd grade game which normally kicked off at 12.10pm.

The reserve grade would start around 1.30pm before the big boys came out at 3pm.

Loved the Click 2000 races in between games also and the good old ground announcer who'd just give you the teams and scores without all the hype.

How good would it be to go back to those days.

Instead, on Friday night, I'll drive to the game and arrive around 7pm, park the car, walk 5 mins to the ground, grab some dinner and, if I'm lucky, catch the last five minutes of the Flegg game. So I'm forking out for parking ($25) and a season ticket ($55 approx.) for an 80 minute game and 5 mins of the lower grades. In the old days I got 5 hours of entertainment, could park nearby for free and admission to the ground which probably would have been around $10.

Yeah I know we are around 40 years into the future and things do change, but wouldn't it be great to go back to those days.

Special K

Coach
There is plenty of parking around wooloware road, gannons, around the woolies complex even the wooloware golf club. I don't even know where you could pay for parking besides the shopping centre thing they sent to members.

Big Bloke

Juniors
There is plenty of parking around wooloware road, gannons, around the woolies complex even the wooloware golf club. I don't even know where you could pay for parking besides the shopping centre thing they sent to members.
Yes, that is the parking I mean mate. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about it, just comparing it to the old days.

Yep, totally agree about the 3 grade days. I'd come to Shark Park around 11.30am, grab a pie, chips and drink, get into my seat and watch the 3rd grade game which normally kicked off at 12.10pm.

The reserve grade would start around 1.30pm before the big boys came out at 3pm.

Loved the Click 2000 races in between games also and the good old ground announcer who'd just give you the teams and scores without all the hype.

How good would it be to go back to those days.

Instead, on Friday night, I'll drive to the game and arrive around 7pm, park the car, walk 5 mins to the ground, grab some dinner and, if I'm lucky, catch the last five minutes of the Flegg game. So I'm forking out for parking ($25) and a season ticket ($55 approx.) for an 80 minute game and 5 mins of the lower grades. In the old days I got 5 hours of entertainment, could park nearby for free and admission to the ground which probably would have been around $10.

Yeah I know we are around 40 years into the future and things do change, but wouldn't it be great to go back to those days.
I used to help cheer girls carry those plastic seats to no avail lol

I like to park near Hairyman Brewery and occassionally have a couple of beers there before walking to the ground via the mangrove walk, an extra attraction on game day. I was also a watch all 3 grades guy during my late teens and 20s, before family commitments got in the way. It was good to see new talents rise through the grades.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I used to sit on The top row of the white benches at southern end up against the wall protected from the wind. Couldnt see the clock or the scoreboard from where I sat.
I remember the ground announcer at 3pm Sunday games giving scores from around the grounds and everyone would react.

I was mid way up Peter Burns stand slightly right from the middle.
I remember the days you could enter the stand from the club

Latest posts