What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EAS Redevelopment

Frederick

Staff member
Article in today's Newcastle Herald said plans for the next stage of EAS's redevelopment have gone on display. Basically, for $9 million from the State supplied funding, the Southern end will be developed so it matches the concourse level of the Eastern Stand, and new dressing sheds for the teams will be built. Development is slated to begin roughly around September, and while it won't be finished for start of season 2008, should be completed by May.

roopy

Referee
we need to build new change rooms before we knock down the western grandstand.

I still think it would have ended up a lot cheaper to sell EAS to build a broadmedow bus station and to build a brand new stadium at number one sportsground - but apparently i am the only one.

Misanthrope

Staff member
brand new stadium at number one sportsground - but apparently i am the only one.

That'd be awesome. Very central, haha. I used to cut through that facility to get to work (I imagine Parki still does).

roopy

Referee
CWBush said:
That'd be awesome. Very central, haha. I used to cut through that facility to get to work (I imagine Parki still does).
Too late now - we have already spent millions at EAS - but flogging the land and using the money and all the government grants to build a brand new stadium at a better site would have done me.
Apparently it costs a heap less to build a completely new stadium then to renovate an old one.

Timbo

Staff member
Because essentially you are building a new stadium at EAS - except you have to factor in the costs of demolishing the old one first.

macavity

Referee
lets all pray for a KRudd win in the next fed election.

this is crap btw - it should have all been done at once - and I agree with Roops that a greenfield site was the way to go - but I would have put it out at Glendale on the state-rail land, which is nearer the population centre of Newcastle, and there is heaps of room there. Add a rail station at Glendale, and you have the potential for an awesome facility.

Parki

Bench
Development is slated to begin roughly around September, and while it won't be finished for start of season 2008, should be completed by May.

hahahaha sucked in jets fans.... i hope they close the whole damn thing off!!!!!!!!

The Genge

Juniors
I few of the people involved in the ISC Trust told me last week that funding from the Commonwealth will be coming before the federal election. This came from very high up in the trust - so I say John Howard has promised it but is waiting for the election to be called!

RABK

Referee
macavity said:
and maybe you could explain that to me, jamie.

Why? Who do you think you are?

My reasons for voting liberal are my own but don't think i am some idiot who knows nothing about politics.

Whenever this topic comes up you're always lashing your pro labor tongue, i could pull out about 6 or 7 threads where you have.

roopy

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
Why? Who do you think you are?

My reasons for voting liberal are my own but don't think i am some idiot who knows nothing about politics.

Whenever this topic comes up you're always lashing your pro labor tongue, i could pull out about 6 or 7 threads where you have.
You say you are not an idiot - and you say you vote liberal.

Make up your mind - which is it?

The Genge

Juniors
roopy said:
You say you are not an idiot - and you say you vote liberal.

Make up your mind - which is it?

An that kid of thinkg is why the ALP has continued to strew Newcastle over, time and again. Go to the polls vote labor, like my father did, like his father before him. It doen't even matter who they put up Newcastle will vote them in - as they did with McKay.

But if you look at my post before the ISC has said Howard will give the funding - abut $32million. Rudd has also said he will give the funding. So in the end it don't matter - unless Howards breaks a promise (never :D ) or if the ALP as usual strews Newcastle over once they get our vote:x .

roopy

Referee
The Genge said:
An that kid of thinkg is why the ALP has continued to strew Newcastle over, time and again. Go to the polls vote labor, like my father did, like his father before him. It doen't even matter who they put up Newcastle will vote them in - as they did with McKay.

But if you look at my post before the ISC has said Howard will give the funding - abut $32million. Rudd has also said he will give the funding. So in the end it don't matter - unless Howards breaks a promise (never :D ) or if the ALP as usual strews Newcastle over once they get our vote:x .
Howard promises the money before each election - one time he even pretended to give us a check didn't he?

IanG

Coach
roopy said:
I still think it would have ended up a lot cheaper to sell EAS to build a broadmedow bus station and to build a brand new stadium at number one sportsground - but apparently i am the only one.
Well if they were to do that, make it cricket field sized to kill 2 birds with one stone. Have a ground that could attract top level cricket in the off season

Frederick

Staff member
IanG said:
Well if they were to do that, make it cricket field sized to kill 2 birds with one stone. Have a ground that could attract top level cricket in the off season
I'd rather not. I'd prefer to have a stadium that caters purely for Rugby League/Union and Soccer, so the fans can be as close to the field as possible, rather than have a huge empty space between the field and the grandstands.