What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eastwood read the riot act

philstorm

Juniors
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2006/09/12/741_news.html

ANOTHER Brisbane Bronco is in hot water over a series of off-field offences.

Following the sensational sacking of players Neville Costigan and Brett Seymour last month, former Gold Coast schoolboy Greg Eastwood, a star in the making, will be read the riot act by club management after repeated driving offences.

Eastwood, 19, faced the Beenleigh Magistrates Court on Friday charged with driving while disqualified, the second time this year he has been stopped for driving without a licence.

The New Zealand-born Keebra Park graduate's day in court was followed yesterday by the final chapter in the Costigan saga.

Speaking outside a Brisbane court, Costigan, who will play for Canberra next year, admitted he deserved everything he got after being fined $900 and banned from driving for seven months for drink-driving.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but if Eastwood this is a repeated offence as stated above - why isn't he being given the same treatment as Costigan/Seymour?

salivor

First Grade
And Costigan wasn't? In reality Eastwood has done very little in first grade and was on the same level as Costigan. Without knowing how many times Costigan and Seymour were warned prior to their final offences how can you compare the 2?

Ice777

Bench
It would appear to be a case of severe double standards by the Broncs. It was always going to come back and bite them on the arse. I've got no problem them keeping him on and i don't mind the Bronco's at all but it does make them look a bit silly IMO.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Meh..Eastwood is good, the other two- well one is a nuffie (Seymour), and the other has one good game a year (Costigan). I'd rather keep Eastwood thanks. But I'd give him a big warning as his behaviour is just not good enough!

Noa

First Grade
Plus anyone who watches motorway patrol will know that you dont need a licence to drive around the streets of Auckland ay bro.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Ice777 said:
It would appear to be a case of severe double standards by the Broncs. It was always going to come back and bite them on the arse.

Hold on, we don't know how many times nuffie Seymour and Costigan got warned before being sacked!

The Colonel

Immortal
salivor said:
And Costigan wasn't? In reality Eastwood has done very little in first grade and was on the same level as Costigan. Without knowing how many times Costigan and Seymour were warned prior to their final offences how can you compare the 2?

Eastwood, 19, faced the Beenleigh Magistrates Court on Friday charged with driving while disqualified, the second time this year he has been stopped for driving without a licence.

Sounds to me that it would be his third offence. You'd assume he would have copped at least one warning at some stage? How many warnings does it take? They set a precedent with Costigan and Seymour......

lockyno1

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Sounds to me that it would be his third offence. You'd assume he would have copped at least one warning at some stage? How many warnings does it take? They set a precedent with Costigan and Seymour......

We don't know how many offences Seymour and Costigan did before they got thankfully sacked!

salivor

First Grade
We're talking about this being his second warning. Even then it could be his first as there was an article different to this posted in the Broncos forum about it where Cullen was contacted about it for comment and didn't even know that this latest offence had taken place so you'd have to wonder if the club knew about it the first time around.

At the time of the Seymour and Costigan sackings it was mentioned that both had been given multiple warnings, no mention of how many. So assumptions are great and all but the reality is that we don't know if this situation is in the least bit similar to the previous 2 sackings.

The Colonel

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
We don't know how many offences Seymour and Costigan did before they got thankfully sacked!

Three times apparently.

Rugby union and AFL outfits this month have fined players for alcohol-related offences, but the Broncos took action to deliver a clear message to players that the club would not tolerate behaviour harmful to its reputation.
"It's three strikes and you're out," disappointed Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said, showing no sympathy for the dumped duo.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20081567-23214,00.html

Or is he just speaking figuratively?

The Colonel

Immortal
Link?

"We've got about 117 players tied up on contracts and scholarships coming through the system at the Clydesdales and here, and we've got a few offenders.

"I'm not naive enough to think whether I have 100 players or 30 players that the whole lot of them are going to be angels.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20081567-23214,00.html

Obviously he missed Eastwood....

Given from that same article that part of the reason why Costigan was acked was because he failed to notify the club of the offence then if he isn't sacked it would again bring up a consideration of double standards anyway.

The Colonel

Immortal
salivor said:
Yeah it's at the top of the page posted by philstorm, good to know you read the article ;-).

Good for him, you still need to post it. Don't worry I did it for you..... ;-)

lockyno1

Post Whore
Either way, a stern warning is enough. Eastwood is a upcoming superstar and deserves a bit of lattitude!

The Colonel

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
Either way, a stern warning is enough. Eastwood is a upcoming superstar and deserves a bit of lattitude!

Of course he does Locky..... you wouldn't want another club getting their hands on him now would you? :sarcasm:

skeepe

Immortal
lockyno1 said:

Why? What makes him deserve a bit of lattitude?

lockyno1

Post Whore
skeepe said:
Why? What makes him deserve a bit of lattitude?

Becuase he's a essential ingredient to our future side, thats why! The other two players, well we can deal with not having them easily! Once Carroll retires, Eastwood will be our lock. He's young and he'll learn from this. Give him a warning and lets get on with the finals!

Latest posts