What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecstatic Johns

Ribs

Bench
Ive played for 8 years and Ive taken my share of the little dudes and NO WAY would they enhance your performance........

Id be standing on the halfway looking at the cheergirls all game.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Ronnie Dobbs said:
Firmly tongue in cheek, realx would you. I don't need a medical lesson on what the stuff does to you. To me he is not a drug cheat

To me, he is a drug cheat. There is a specific list of drugs you are not allowed to take when playing Rugby League. He breached that list and as a result I consider him a drug cheat. He should have sat at least 2 of those 12 years on the bench just like Sailor did.

Ronnie Dobbs said:
I don't care to speculate on what he might have or could have been doing. As for out of season? Its his life & really, none of our business.

I have NFI what the hell that means :|

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Drew-Sta said:
To me, he is a drug cheat. There is a specific list of drugs you are not allowed to take when playing Rugby League. He breached that list and as a result I consider him a drug cheat. He should have sat at least 2 of those 12 years on the bench just like Sailor did.

I have NFI what the hell that means :|

Fair enough then. Sailor was one of the unlucky ones in that he got caught. His sentence is totally disproportinate to the crime & he was made a scapegoat. Cousins is in the same boat as Johns, but is still playing within the same season and has a chance at another premiership.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Ribs said:
Ive played for 8 years and Ive taken my share of the little dudes and NO WAY would they enhance your performance........

Id be standing on the halfway looking at the cheergirls all game.

No Ribs. You are wrong. You are a cheat according to some idealists on here.

I'm with you all the way. The only thing it enhances is your performance with the ladies & the ability to talk trash.

Terrible stuff.

Godz Illa

Coach
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
I think the scariest thing about E's is that they can actually make you enjoy house music.
Indeed. From the Dr Nick Riviera journal of medicine:

MDMA, or ‘ecstasy’, is a synthetic, psychoactive (mind-altering) drug with hallucinogenic and amphetamine-like properties. Its chemical structure is similar to two other synthetic drugs, MDA and methamphetamine, which are known to cause brain damage. According to its proponents, ecstasy can make people trust each other and break down barriers between therapists and patients, lovers and family members. It also makes trance music sound good, and fun to dance to. The stimulant effects of the drug, which enable the user to dance for extended periods, combined with the hot, crowded conditions usually found at crappy hardcore trance clubs can lead to dehydration, hypothermia, and heart or kidney failure. Other problems include psychological difficulties, such as confusion, depression, sleep problems, drug craving, severe anxiety, and paranoia. You also start to like trance music. Physical problems such as muscle tension, involuntary teeth clenching, nausea, blurred vision, rapid eye movement, faintness and chills or sweating. You also dance to trance music. It causes an increase in heart rate and blood pressure, a special risk for people with circulatory or heart disease. You are also at risk of buying a trance CD and listening to it. Long term effects - recent research findings also link MDMA use to long-term damage to those parts of the brain critical to thought and memory. It is believed that the drug causes damage to the neurons that use the chemical serotonin to communicate with other neurons. You may also end up with several trance albums in your CD collection.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
I think the scariest thing about E's is that they can actually make you enjoy house music.
LOL. Can I use that in my next F7s article?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Ronnie Dobbs said:
Fair enough then. Sailor was one of the unlucky ones in that he got caught. His sentence is totally disproportinate to the crime & he was made a scapegoat. Cousins is in the same boat as Johns, but is still playing within the same season and has a chance at another premiership.

Dobbs you're a muppet.

A) Johns is supposed to be a role model to young children. If you want your kids growing up idolising a sports man who takes drugs, that's your problem. I don't want to live in a world where this happens. Idealist perhaps, and definately not going to happen. But I'd prefer to prevent a society where drugs are used for any purpose unless medical.

B) There are RULES enforced by the NRL that stipulate any drug use is not permitted. I'd love for Alcohol to be included in this stipulation, but I frankly think nobody will win that battle even though it would solve most of the off-field problems accoicated with our players.

3) Sailor was NOT unlucky. He took the risk and paid the penalty, and deservedly so. Same with Craig Field. If the NRL are to prevent any further off-field incidents and allow our game to be about Rugby League and not controversy, the NRL has to continue with a policy similar to the punishment handed out to Field and Sailor. Maybe, just maybe, when our players are sober, some of them might start earning the wads of cash they get each year.

I can't believe you'd condone the use of drugs in the game, especially after we've seen the effects of alcohol on some players. I'm not going to go into the 'Which is worse for you' argument but I will say that if our players actually stayed sober for 99% of the year, we'd have very few incidents detracting from the games image. See Hazem El Masri for further information on how not boozing up will enhance your career.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Drew-Sta said:
Dobbs you're a muppet.

A) Johns is supposed to be a role model to young children. If you want your kids growing up idolising a sports man who takes drugs, that's your problem. I don't want to live in a world where this happens. Idealist perhaps, and definately not going to happen. But I'd prefer to prevent a society where drugs are used for any purpose unless medical.

B) There are RULES enforced by the NRL that stipulate any drug use is not permitted. I'd love for Alcohol to be included in this stipulation, but I frankly think nobody will win that battle even though it would solve most of the off-field problems accoicated with our players.

3) Sailor was NOT unlucky. He took the risk and paid the penalty, and deservedly so. Same with Craig Field. If the NRL are to prevent any further off-field incidents and allow our game to be about Rugby League and not controversy, the NRL has to continue with a policy similar to the punishment handed out to Field and Sailor. Maybe, just maybe, when our players are sober, some of them might start earning the wads of cash they get each year.

I can't believe you'd condone the use of drugs in the game, especially after we've seen the effects of alcohol on some players. I'm not going to go into the 'Which is worse for you' argument but I will say that if our players actually stayed sober for 99% of the year, we'd have very few incidents detracting from the games image. See Hazem El Masri for further information on how not boozing up will enhance your career.

I'm a muppet? You sound like you still believe in Santa Claus. Or are a memeber of the Young Liberals. Obviuosly frustrated about something . Don't dare tell me that you are a qualified ref.

I don't condone the use of drugs in the game, quite the opposite. I just don't believe that Johns taking drugs constitues cheating though. Don't tell me about how he cheated the kids either. Please. You really need to get out and be a bit open minded about how the world works for grown ups before you start dealing in absolutes.

He's already been dealt with by the authorites. What do you want? A public flogging? Tarred & Feathered & made to run up Pitt Street in peak hour?

All I am stating is that in my opinion he did not cheat, therefore, whilst you may find what he has done to your disliking, it really is no ones business what he does.

gorilla

First Grade
Most people don't know (anymore) that ecstacy was tested and developed as a marriage counselling substance in the USA to make people feel more open and empathic with the others. It was a counselling drug.

It first came to significant Australian prominence on the Mike Carleton Midday show in, say 1984. I was watching when Richard neville had his weekly 'hippie/new interest' segment and he talked about it.

I subsequentially lost my then girl-frined to an unnamed public figure (low rent publisher/lobbyist) who swept her off her feet with the drug, having allegedly been supplied by a TV 'personality' in late 1984.

At the time all I could get was cocaine, marijuana, speed, mushrooms and, well other stuff that I didn't use. For that little lady, new frontiers always beckoned ....

I have taken it on a number of occaisions and is one of my 'drugs of choice' but not one which I have the time or capacity to enjoy.

Maggie

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
gorilla said:
Most people don't know (anymore) that ecstacy was tested and developed as a marriage counselling substance in the USA to make people feel more open and empathic with the others. It was a counselling drug.

It first came to significant Australian prominence on the Mike Carleton Midday show in, say 1984. I was watching when Richard neville had his weekly 'hippie/new interest' segment and he talked about it.

I subsequentially lost my then girl-frined to an unnamed public figure (low rent publisher/lobbyist) who swept her off her feet with the drug, having allegedly been supplied by a TV 'personality' in late 1984.

At the time all I could get was cocaine, marijuana, speed, mushrooms and, well other stuff that I didn't use. For that little lady, new frontiers always beckoned ....

I have taken it on a number of occaisions and is one of my 'drugs of choice' but not one which I have the time or capacity to enjoy.

Maggie

Nice post.

Great story too. That guy was fighting dirty.

Father Ted

First Grade
gregstar said:
does anyone think that half of our mob wouldn't be giving the rec drugs a good nudge?

Our mob would need instructions on how too , and then get it wrong .

Performance Enhancing or not a drug is a drug. Call me old fashioned but if Ecstacy is on the prohibited drugs list for a contracted player (which last I heard it is) then he broke the rules.

The argument is not whether he used recreational drugs or performance enhancing drugs the whole point is that he has been using drugs on and off over the last ten - twelve years.

I will repeat my earlier comment. He was a role model for rugby league and he has abused the respect that thousands of kids and supporters had for him.

Even worse than this is the way NEWCASTLE as a club handled it. It seems to me Brian Smith got that job for a reason and maybe he is just weeding out any future possible liabilities..........

Latest posts