What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie and Stevo

bartman

Immortal
Nice photo PP. My hazy memory is telling me Stevo might have done a stint in sideline TV commentary in Australia, and been an early "Mr Footy Tab"?

The Partisan

GoTheBears said:
I love Eddie n Stevo, they are brilliant. Feels like international footy havig the two poms comentating.

I concur. If nothing else it is great to hear different accents commentating with a different outlook on the game. Sure some of their discussion is a 'wee' bit biased, but it adds to the theatre.

On a lighter note, if anyone has old tapes of 2001/2003 Ashes series, make note of how many times the phrase ' To be fair' is used. Must be a dozen plus times. Quite funny after a while.

bluesbreaker

Bench
The Partisan said:
On a lighter note, if anyone has old tapes of 2001/2003 Ashes series, make note of how many times the phrase ' To be fair' is used. Must be a dozen plus times. Quite funny after a while.

I'll bet T-R-Y has been spelt out at least 50 times in the last few Tri-Nations ;-). As for dropgoals, the Super League itself seems to have an obsession with drop goals, they're always going for them for some reason... Nil all, 20 minutes in (Like that's ever gonna happen in SL), ideal time for a drop goal!

Misanthrope

Staff member
I can tolerate Eddie. Stevo should be taken out to pasture and beaten into submission with a mattock or sledgehammer.

Whichever takes longer.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
chriswalkerbush said:
I can tolerate Eddie. Stevo should be taken out to pasture and beaten into submission with a mattock or sledgehammer.

Whichever takes longer.

He's funny.

Sky have a decision to make on those two. They are now icons of the sport and are as big a celebrity as any of the players. But, they are embarassing for the profile of the sport, they make it seem so amateurish.

A mate of mine who watched the game tonight said they are like listening to 'Fan zone' in the live Premier League games, where fans of the two sides off the street commentate on proceedings.

Eddie gets virtually every name wrong. "Strong run from Morley, no its Peacock, Fielden, no it IS Morley" and Stevo just talks. He talks without thinking. He often starts a sentance with phrases such as "You know whats amazing about this game" and then he'll pause as he hasn't really got anything sensible to say. So he'll make something random up.

jed said:
Trombone in the wind section :lol:

Yeah that was gold. Different educmacation system over there.

What I reallt like is when Stevo goes on about what he terms 'high shots'. If I remember correctly, he was partial to delivering the odd one or two during his playing days.

Surandy

Bench
Is it any worse than some of the things Gould says in the post-match wrap up?

I'm sure I heard Gould twice say that the next two matches are between GB vs NZ and then Aus vs NZ. :?

And that GB need to win both of those matches to be a chance of making the final. :?

ali

Bench
Jordan said:
How do you guys think Brisbane Broncos' Danny Buderus played?

Gould was worse when he continually said it would come down to Australia vs NZ to see if GB makes the final. :? It also pisses me off how Gould and Johns keep referring to GB as England one minute, then they go on about the Irishman Brian Carney. I bet if there were any Irishmen tuned in, they'd be a little pissed off. It's GREAT BRITAIN & IRELAND, not England.

sunny

No one ever refers to them as Gret Britain and Ireland though ali, even the pommies just call 'em Great Britain.

sunny

One amusing thing about these pommy clowns is that there's not even any pretence of objectivity: it's "we" this and "we" that every minute of every game:lol: :lol: . I also love how they start just sort of randomly editorialising about stuff in the middle of a set of six, bloody funny.

jed

First Grade
It was just like during the cricket in the Ashes, how the commentators continually referred to the poms as England & Wales ;-)

greeneyed

First Grade
Stevo used to be the co commentator on the ABC when it had the rights to the rugby league in Australia. I think Eddie and Stevo are both great and very entertaining. Imagine how the NZers and GBers would react to hearing the Australian commentary, which is exceptionally embarassing. Leave them alone.

choc_soldier

Coach
Jordan said:
How do you guys think Brisbane Broncos' Danny Buderus played?

I was extremely sleepy when I heard that comment, but glad to know I didn't just imagine it.

Clanger and a half.

bartman

Immortal
sunny said:
No one ever refers to them as Gret Britain and Ireland though ali, even the pommies just call 'em Great Britain.
And when you're at the games you notice half the crowd falling into the habit of cheering them as "England"...

bartman

Immortal
I had the radio commentry on over here - BBC Five Live I think, with Tulsen Tollett. He came up with a clanger...

"Australia have to start asking themselves more question marks!"

1202148.jpg

Latest posts