What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EEL Evolution?

Brenno75

Juniors
So fullback is for bludgers?

No its not, but Hayne himself said he doesn't want to go back to halves, because he doesn't like making tackles. So why put him a position he doesn't want to be, especially as he already looks half interested.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone show me how it failed? Everyone keeps saying that but I recall Hayne single handedly saved our arse against the Raiders playing at five-eighth and was pretty good in the other few matches considering he was learning the ropes.

It is absurd for people on here to honestly claim that Morts is a better option than Hayne. Seriously - he couldn't possibly be.

if he was a success he'd still be there

mrpwnd

Bench
No its not, but Hayne himself said he doesn't want to go back to halves, because he doesn't like making tackles. So why put him a position he doesn't want to be, especially as he already looks half interested.
Generally people who aren't interested go on the wing, aka Grothe and Inu.

TheParraboy

Staff member
if he was a success he'd still be there

Lockyer was very average 5/8th in his first 6 months to a season in that role

Hayne could be a real gun there if persisted with, but unfortunately we dont have the quality of cattle across the park like Lockyer had when he transitioned

Parraren

Bench
1 Luke Burt

6 Jarryd Hayne
7 Casey Maguire

9 Anthony Mitchell

that is a very competant spine for mine..

Close but not quite there...

1. Hayne

6. Humble
7. Macguire

9. Mitchell

(13. Maitua)

I know there are 'issues' with Humble at the moment but i think this is where our spine eventually needs to be for this season to have any hope of success.

Bring in Maitua at 13 eventually and we have some decent attacking options there.

Freak2

Juniors
I still to this day do not believe Ando should have given up on this plan on 2009.

Long term it is an absolute necessity.

For the last 10 years we have been paying a 2nd rower the largest slice of the pie and now we are going to pay a fullback???

For 20 years this club has been screaming for a half or 5/8.
As far as I am concerned if Jarryd cannot play 5/8 then he is well and truly over paid.

lingard

Coach
we tried Hayne at 6 and it failed,

and of argument

I`m not sure I`d want Hayne at five-eight, either. But you have to say he`s a FAR better player now than he was then. He might go a lot better at six now. I would definitely see it as a temporary measure only, though.

lingard

Coach
Lockyer was very average 5/8th in his first 6 months to a season in that role

Hayne could be a real gun there if persisted with, but unfortunately we dont have the quality of cattle across the park like Lockyer had when he transitioned

We certainly don`t have an Alan Langer!

lingard

Coach
Close but not quite there...

1. Hayne

6. Humble
7. Macguire

9. Mitchell

(13. Maitua)

I know there are 'issues' with Humble at the moment but i think this is where our spine eventually needs to be for this season to have any hope of success.

Bring in Maitua at 13 eventually and we have some decent attacking options there.

The beauty of Humble and Hayne in the same side is that they could both interchange between five-eight and fullback throughout the game. They could end up being quite a handy little combination. Melbourne has a fledgling combination similar to this at the moment with Gareth Widdop (who played fullback for Great Britain) at five-eight, and Slater at Fullback.
Humble is a better five-eight than Mortimer, and Hayne is a better fullback than Humble. A marriage made in heaven!

Last edited:

Scorer

Juniors
I still think that, if we had a decent five-eight, Hayne is best left at fullback.

MacGuire is short term option and I think for the long term future of the team leave Hayne at 1 Humble at 6 Murray 7 and Mitchell 9. Might take a bit of pain at the start but these kids have the potential.

Your Walkers, Hicks & Fatts etc should have been pensioned off rather than us buying them all. Buying these hacks take me back to the days when Fitz was in charge after the 1986 GF win where we bought rubbish for a number of years. .i.e. Ken Wolfe

True EEL

Bench
we tried Hayne at 6 and it failed,

and of argument

the experiment only failed because he wasn't ready, he wasn't mature enough and didn't really want to play there. I think Jarryd needs convincing of how good he can be and how much he could help the team develop with him running the ship from 5/8....also if the coach wants him to play there as its best for the team - then he plays there! In hindsight DA should have persisted with it and not given into Jarryd like Hages did when he got his way to play Fullback over Burty, and SK should give it a try

so arguement still on

Last edited:

True EEL

Bench
I think you are historically incorrect. Ando is quoted as saying that he was playing Hayne at 6 because he was not fit enough to play fullback. The switch happened when he was fit enough to play 1 at a high level with a fast recovery rate.

i'm not historically incorrect if you are referring to DA playing Jarryd at 6 for the reasosn you stated.....? i don't recall or buy this fast recovery stuff

DA went on record in every media outlet (including screaming it from the rooftops) that he could find in that 2009 pre-season that he was playing Jarryd at 5/8 because he thought he could do the job and would be dynamic there....with his rare blend of size, skill, pace, good hands and good kicking and passing games......

IMHO i believe that Jarryd eventually said, i don't think i can make it as a - i wanna play Fullback again, so move Burty again - and DA obliged much like Hages did :?

Eels Dude

Coach
i'm not historically incorrect if you are referring to DA playing Jarryd at 6 for the reasosn you stated.....? i don't recall or buy this fast recovery stuff

DA went on record in every media outlet (including screaming it from the rooftops) that he could find in that 2009 pre-season that he was playing Jarryd at 5/8 because he thought he could do the job and would be dynamic there....with his rare blend of size, skill, pace, good hands and good kicking and passing games......

IMHO i believe that Jarryd eventually said, i don't think i can make it as a - i wanna play Fullback again, so move Burty again - and DA obliged much like Hages did :?

No what happened what Brett Finch quit four rounds into the season, so DA had to promote an experienced Robson to halfback and then thus a proven 5'8th Mateo back to pivot, then Hayne into the centres. He then mixed it up a few weeks later and moved Hayne to fullback in a game against the Cowboys and he absolutely carved the Cowboys up single handedly he kept his spot there.

I think think DA's use of training Hayne in the off season in 5'8th and giving him a few runs there increased his fitness levels, and his ball playing skills that it led to his brilliant run of form to our GF in '09 and how his kicking game and passing game is so improved even now.

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
No what happened what Brett Finch quit four rounds into the season, so DA had to promote an experienced Robson to halfback and then thus a proven 5'8th Mateo back to pivot, then Hayne into the centres. He then mixed it up a few weeks later and moved Hayne to fullback in a game against the Cowboys and he absolutely carved the Cowboys up single handedly he kept his spot there.

I think think DA's use of training Hayne in the off season in 5'8th and giving him a few runs there increased his fitness levels, and his ball playing skills that it led to his brilliant run of form to our GF in '09 and how his kicking game and passing game is so improved even now.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, DA is a brilliant coach up against a players culture, almost set in concrete, that resisted his ways. Something had to give. That stunning victory against all the odds Dragons in the 09 final is another sign of DA's brilliant tactics. Players can turn coaches into combatants because of their fixed ways and its not until many years later that some finally come to realise just how good a coach they had back then, a coach they never got to really appreciate was actually working for them & their long-term best interests. Jarryd Hayne & DA is such an example. I wonder if the penny has dropped for Jarryd yet? Jarryd could easily be the next Wally Lewis IF he gets his head switched on. I guess DA saw this in Jarryd and acted accordingly. Stubborn Jarryd resisted. Then there is Mateo, Inu, Grothe Jnr, etc. What did DA do that had so many players lift during the later part of 09, players like Lowrey, Kingston, Galuvao, Robson, Mortimer, Inu, Mateo, Hayne, etc....???? If DA had a board to support him unconditionally we would be very close to winning a GF this year or next, even last year, and we all know what happened behind the scenes back then. As far as I am concerned the 2009 GF is DA, he was so close to beating a team of cheats supported by the corrupt News Limited-NRL and their dodgy refs. And he did this against all odds in his first year.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
1 Luke Burt

6 Jarryd Hayne
7 Casey Maguire

9 Anthony Mitchell

that is a very competant spine for mine..

Ditto

But Stagger, it's pipe dream. I doubt it will ever happen under the current coach/management. The only way I see them considering it is if we have injuries to our current halves.

WOE

True EEL

Bench
Yes, but after Finch quit the whole halves combination had to be entirely re-considered.

thanks, i thought i was having brain/memory failure then and NOT everybody else

and yes, perhaps that did require a complete overhaul of the halves, but i also think Hayne had said that he didn't want to play anymore - literally - at 5/8 and wanted to crawl back to Fullback....and DA accommodated him as part of the shake up with Finch being booted....

and its not like this is a new agenda for me (some threads are suggesting alternatives like this one are simply Round 3 panic talk) as i have wanted this since midway through last season. To me its a no brainer, but the biggest thing might be either convincing Hayne to play there, or simply making him play there.....as good as he is as a Fullback (especially in attack) he could be so much more dynamic at 5/8.....seriously

Latest posts