What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EELS 34 ROOSTERS 14

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
EELS V ROOSTERS TRIAL GAME
18 February 2005

The Parramatta Eels defeated the Sydney Roosters 34-16 in a high quality NRL trial in front of over 11,000 fans at Pioneer Oval, Parkes.

The Eels raced in six tries to three and led 16-10 at half time.

The Eels' points came via two tries to Eric Grothe and PJ Marsh, whilst Ashley Graham and Henry Perenara crossed for one try each. Mark Riddell kicked four goals from five attempts, whilst John Morris scored a goal from his only attempt.

The best for the Eels were Nathan Cayless, Michael Vella, and new recruit Glenn Morrison.

The Roosters' only try in the second half came from a length of the field intercept in the final two minutes.

After the match Eels coach Brian Smith was delighted with his team's performance: "It was fantastic, particularly in defence. They asked a lot of questions and we had most of the answers. I was happy with how they all went, but we know there is still a lot of hard work to do before the start of the competition."

After losing the first 2 trials, People suddenly jumped to conclusion saying the eels would have another shocking season. Well think again !! The eels played well last night vs the roosters showing exactly what they can do. Funny when you look at it the eels were without their best player 'Nathan Hindmarsh' and another superb player in 'Chad Robinson' and yet they still managed to beat the roosters quite comfertably. With rookie halfback Tim Smith set to start the season at 'halfback' for the eels it looks like PJ Marsh will go back to his preferred position 'hooker'. PJ played hooker last night when he came on to replace mark riddel. PJ scored 2 tries and he seems to have picked up from where he left off. The eels were deadly in 2001 when PJ came on the field as a interchange hooker. When the opposition forwards are tired he creates so much havic around the ruck with his speed and agility (neat little footwork) it allows the eels to dominate and to work off the room pj creates. With players like 'Nathan Hindmarsh' and 'Glenn Morrison' on each side of the ruck playing 80 minutes the eels will only have to have to field 2 front rowers on the bench with PJ marsh and the option of a utility. Another thing to look at is with glenn morrison in the team now this will take some much presure of nathan hindmarsh. Glenn morrison will share much of the defensive workload with hindmarsh and therefore hindmarsh will be more deadly with the ball in his hands like he was in 2001. All his energy wont be used up from all the defence he does allowing him to be an effective ball runner like in 2001. The eels will go into round 1 with lots of confidence after beating the roosters quite comfertable. This should see the eels of to a good start to 2005. I think its fair to say the eels will one of the major threats this year.

melon....

Coach
If you think beating Easts with a Flegg Forward pack and a full strength Eels team, proves the eels will be a major thret then all i cn say is............................
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why does there need to be thread upon thread about trial scores...? :arrow: lock

melon....

Coach
dodge said:
Why does there need to be thread upon thread about trial scores...? :arrow: lock
Dodgey Bastard, because everyones excited man...especially the likes of eels and souths fans that barely win anything...give them a couple of days and reality will kick in.

Timmah

Staff member
Not to mention Canberra hey moron... I mean melon...

Big Mick

Referee
Roosters where far from full strength.

The big indicator for both the Roosters and for Penrith will be next weekend, because I'm pretty sure, both will want to give their top liners a decent hit out before the season begins.

scottyeel

Bench
melon.... said:
dodge said:
Dodgey Bastard, because everyones excited man...especially the likes of eels and souths fans that barely win anything...give them a couple of days and reality will kick in.
Compared to the roosters that win so much hey melon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Utey

Coach
Your a loser Melon. This is the only trial which meant anything. Very happy atm. Combiantions are gelling very nicely. :D

carlnz

Bench
FUIFUI_MOIMOI said:
The Parramatta Eels defeated the Sydney Roosters 34-16 in a high quality NRL trial in front of over 11,000 fans at Pioneer Oval, Parkes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Mick said:
Roosters where far from full strength.

The big indicator for both the Roosters and for Penrith will be next weekend, because I'm pretty sure, both will want to give their top liners a decent hit out before the season begins.

I don't take much note of trials. Actually don't take much notice of the comp till about round 6. Next week will see both clubs put out stronger sides but still not that worried about it.

As for Parra and Souths the trials probably do hold a bit more credence for them and I think Parra have done it smart building up rather than throwing there best team out from trial one. As for Souths last night they looked impressive against a Saints side that looked very ordinary. Souths had some go forward and actually played some smart footy.

miniHINDY

Juniors
Dont read too much into it. I'm happy for the win but itwas far from the roosters best team. Premierships arent won in febuary.

Even though Im happy with the win- Its only a trial guys, Roosters had 4-5 forwards out of the team plus Minichello aswell. Trials are just good for combinations. Roosters will Finish in the top 2 again this year so this trial form should be just treated as a trial. U don't get 2 points for it.

LRC

I guess Morley,Cayless,Wing,Minichelo,Crocker,Fitzgibbons etc would make a little difference.
Who else didnt play?

Timmah

Staff member
I beg to differ, to me the opening week of the comp tells me what happens throughout the year. The Bulldogs gave Parramatta a shellacking in Round 1 and from then on I had zero doubt we'd be hoisting the cup high.

Trials are a different story obviously with different combos being tried out but I can't agree with the comp not being "real" til round 5 or 6

Jake the snake said:
Even though Im happy with the win- Its only a trial guys, Roosters had 4-5 forwards out of the team plus Minichello aswell. Trials are just good for combinations. Roosters will Finish in the top 2 again this year so this trial form should be just treated as a trial. U don't get 2 points for it.

Wouldn't guarantee that. Could potentially have a different 6,7,9 this season. The 3 most important positions on the field. One of them will be new to the club so I wouldn't be so sure about top 2 for the Roosters. The competition will be tougher again also.

lucablight

First Grade
I beg to differ, to me the opening week of the comp tells me what happens throughout the year. The Bulldogs gave Parramatta a shellacking in Round 1 and from then on I had zero doubt we'd be hoisting the cup high.

Trials are a different story obviously with different combos being tried out but I can't agree with the comp not being "real" til round 5 or 6

Panthers 2003 anyone?

thickos

First Grade
I'm sure the trial was important for the likes of Finch and Firman, or all the new faces at the clubs that took part over the weekend... its all about combinations and blowing out the cobwebs and being ready to roll for Round 1.

The competition might not 'hot up' until Round 5 or 6 but I sure wouldn't want to be 0-5 to start the year... early season momentum is vital.

The Colonel

Immortal
melon.... said:
If you think beating Easts with a Flegg Forward pack and a full strength Eels team, proves the eels will be a major thret then all i cn say is............................
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd be more worried about the Finch/Firman combination and your backline defense than anything else. Your young forward pack held their own and then some - they spent a long time on the Parramatta line but mistakes let them down - more often than not from the halves. More often than not the Eels were going around rather than through the middle..

While we have some ground to make up the season looks a lote rosier than seasons past.