What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels boo boys entitled to vent feelings: Daily Telegraph

Hurriflatch

Referee
Eels boo boys entitled to vent feelings

By MIKE GIBSON
COMMENT

June 2, 2004

ONE of the time-honoured traditions for sports fans is to boo and to hiss.

Generally, such disapproval is reserved for opponents and referees.

But during the last week, in rugby league things have changed.

Willie Mason. Mark Gasnier. The Parramatta Eels.

All were booed by fans who were either protesting at their personal behaviour OFF the field or, in Parramatta's case, their pathetic performance ON it.

While Mason and Gasnier had to contend with the indignation of supporters who were angry that their game had been shamed, Parramatta faced the wrath of fans who had travelled to Leichhardt Oval to be subjected to a rout.

It was the team's fifth loss in a row.

The way the Eels are playing, is it any wonder that supporters voiced their discontent?

Parramatta players are miffed. "It doesn't do much for us," says skipper Nathan Hindmarsh.

"I don't think fans should boo you off the ground," agrees teammate Michael Vella.

So what did they expect? The fans to invite them to do a lap of honour?

Hey, guys. Reality check. Repeat after me: It's the fans who line your pockets with cash.

It's the fans who pay their way through the turnstiles each weekend, so you blokes can sign six-figure contracts.

It's the fans who've watched Parramatta promise for years, but fail to deliver.

It's the fans who've turned up to support a team that made the grand final three years ago, only to see it degenerate to the stage that it has become an embarrassment.

Fans feel powerless. They get frustrated.

While they pay the bills, they have no authority to sack the players or hire a new coach.

That's part of the problem at Parramatta.

The fans aren't just booing the players.

They're booing the whole shooting match.

They're venting their displeasure at the administration and the coach.

How Brian Smith hangs on to his job is beyond me.

He is paid more than the prime minister to coach a team that has gone from a class act to become the easybeats of the NRL.

In any other line of business, Smith would have got the bullet.

Yet he retains his job, blaming the "nasty" people in the media for trying to undermine him.

It's not the fault of the media that Parramatta are going like a ruptured rear end.

You can't blame the media for that woeful rubbish last Sunday.

It was the players who are failing to produce the goods and a coach who has proven he is incapable of coming up with the answers.

All those years I followed North Sydney, they never won a premiership. The only blokes who were there when Norths last won the comp are all pushing up dandelions at Gore Hill.

But we never booed the Bears. Maybe sometimes we should have. North Sydney fans were too genteel.

But Parramatta supporters are a more demanding breed.

Even if it has become a grainy picture on their videotape of memories, they are used to winning premierships, and they have lost patience with a club that has lost the plot.

So don't tell them not to boo. The way to make them stop booing is to give them something to cheer about.

Eels Dude

Coach
Thanks for the article. He is 100% correct. This should be read out to every Parramatta player who forgets just how large a part supporters play in the game, without us they'd have nothing.

poojar

Juniors
No matter how disgusted, dissapointed and horrified by the performance of the eels (and beleive me im pretty dissapointed), i just cant boo the guys off. I know they are earning a lot of money and are not performing up to scratch, to boo the guys off i think is a huge insult, both to the club and to the players personally. Im sure every player out there would prefer to be winning rather than getting smashed, imagine how it would feel to get booed by your own supposed supporters after playing 80 minutes. I reckon itd make me despondant for the next game and my performance would lack because of it.

I can understand frustration, but i think its just plain rude.

just my opinion

Agree 100%.

It is obvious to say that it is as heartbreaking for the fans to deliver the boos and sprays as it would be to them to hear it over the other side of the fence.

Once again, they probably wouldn't get booed if the capitulations weren't as big and didn't allow sides to get to 29-0, 36-16, 20-0 halftime, 37-6 margins. Like Gibson says..."give us something to cheer about".

Eels Dude

Coach
It may be rude but it is deserved. If players expect fans to cheer when they're winning they should expect to be booed when they put in a performance as disgraceful as the last two, I've paid my money and think i'm entitled to a lot better than what was dished up last week.

poojar said:
No matter how disgusted, dissapointed and horrified by the performance of the eels (and beleive me im pretty dissapointed), i just cant boo the guys off. I know they are earning a lot of money and are not performing up to scratch, to boo the guys off i think is a huge insult, both to the club and to the players personally. Im sure every player out there would prefer to be winning rather than getting smashed, imagine how it would feel to get booed by your own supposed supporters after playing 80 minutes. I reckon itd make me despondant for the next game and my performance would lack because of it.

I can understand frustration, but i think its just plain rude.

just my opinion

Wouldn't it fire you up??

The only bad thing about it is that Hindmarsh is walking off with the groups of players that are getting booed. He should leave the field first and then the booing can start!!!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I will never boo any player in the blue and gold because I have respect. I may get a bit upset with their performance but never boo.

The Colonel

Immortal
I don't boo - I do point to the Eel on my chest and tell them to play for it - but I never boo. :|

Eelementary

Post Whore
One of the main reasons (aside from the Legends stories about Sterlo, Grothe, Kenny, Price, etc. that my dad told me and the fact my entire family supported the Eels) I became an Eels fanatic in the first place was that I was very touched by how much of a unit we were.

Fair dinkum, I have never actually spoken to the players. But a few of you have, and they seem like down to Earth blokes.

It surprised that me that every Eels fan was proud to be an Eel fan, and we were very close to the players too.

I know the results don't go our way.

But I think a lot of people here are confusing 'lack of form' and 'severe lack of confidence' with 'not putting in'.

Well, I will always support the boys and even if we get flogged 100 to nil, as unhappy as I would be, I would not boo - I just have too much respect for them.

I see them as mates. I would never 'boo' or insult my mates.

The Godfather

Juniors
Awwwww, the poor little Parra players...

Grow up.

You lose by 30+ points at home to a Premier League St.George team.

It was not just that you lost, it was the way you lost.
It was a pathetic, unacceptable surrender in the last 20 minutes where a premier league Dragons blasted 23 points. Don't feed me the crap about how hard you were all trying.

You gave up, you did not fight. You did not have any pride in yourselves, the club and the fans you represent.The premier league team knew that and went in for the kill.
Turned what could have been an honourable defeat into a humilliation.

God save us if Wade McKinnon was not on the field.

And there you are, with your cry-baby, whinging, that those nasty Parra supporters are not dancing for joy and go boo. How upsetting it must be for all you little diddums. There, there, have your warm milk and your blanket, and everything will be allright.

But don't worry, little boys. Keep going like you are, and the booing will stop at Parramatta Stadium. There will be nobody there.

Unreal V

Juniors
Every fan has a right to boo, and this does not mean that they don't support the team. If there was no booing and if there were no calls for heads to roll then how as a fan and supporter do you force change. The alternative would be to stop going to the games and even stop watching the games on TV; which would they prefer.

Unreal V said:
Every fan has a right to boo, and this does not mean that they don't support the team.

thats exactly what it does mean. booing is not supportive. hence the person booing doesnt support the team. They may be a fan of the team, they may absolutely be obsessed with the team, but by their actions they are clearly showing that they are not supporting
the team.

Unreal V said:
If there was no booing and if there were no calls for heads to roll then how as a fan and supporter do you force change. The alternative would be to stop going to the games and even stop watching the games on TV; which would they prefer.

unfortunately it seems as though it is very difficult as a fan and/or supporter of this club to make any changes. and i dont think any of us could bare boycotting games or not watching them on tv. so the best we can do at the moment is to accept the crap we have to work with and do the best we can. that means as fans; maybe start supporting a little more and i think we'll see the whole attitude of the club turn around. So much negativity circulating around the club CANNOT be doing any good.

Paranoid

Juniors
Eels Dude said:
Thanks for the article. He is 100% correct. This should be read out to every Parramatta player who forgets just how large a part supporters play in the game, without us they'd have nothing.

Well not exactly 100% correct.

Parramatta players are miffed. "It doesn't do much for us," says skipper Nathan Hindmarsh.

:?

Good to see Mike Gibson as usual not getting it right. :clap: #-o

GoParra

Juniors
As i've said in a previous post, booing any team or player is low and poor sportsmanship, but booing your own team and colours is the lowest of low.
My opinion and i'm sticking with it !

Go The Eels, Go Smithy and Go any bloody one associated with the Eels

GOPARRA

BlueandGoldDust

Juniors
Like i said in the article in the paper - you support your team through the good times and the bad times. I can forgive ppl who might boo on the odd occasion but not the people who boo after every bad performance the team have. I have never booed the team and wont start now. This is NOT the worst i have ever seen the team and I dont like seeing how we are right now, but hell its my team and as is written on the Shirts of the eWo - Eels 4 Life!!! Its that simple.

Unreal V

Juniors
eeelectroshooting wrote:

thats exactly what it does mean. booing is not supportive. hence the person booing doesnt support the team. They may be a fan of the team, they may absolutely be obsessed with the team, but by their actions they are clearly showing that they are not supporting
the team.

eeelectroshooting

Booing although not attractive is merely an expression of criticism; although not as articualte as many of the posts on this board it is meant to communicate dissatisfaction. Are you telling me that if I am critical and dissapointed I am not supporting the team; please we are playing sematics with the strict definition of the word.

In any case the Parramatta that I do support has not turrned up to play for some time, I can support the Blue & Gold and still be critical of the players and express my disatisfaction. The players at the end of the day represent the colours of the club.

I personnaly am not that unhappy that I would boo but am mindful of others that are and defent their right to express how they feel, apart from this forum thaey have no other avenue.

parralight

Juniors
Soem excellent points in the article.
Sport at elite level is not for those who are easily offended by a fan who might boo.

The players get excellent rewards so they just have to perform.

I think some of the players are selling the supporters a bit short.
There are some supporters that have been watching league for longer than these players have been alive and they know when a player is putting in or dogging it.
The crux of what Gibson is saying is that the fans would never boo if the team puts in 100% an dget beat by 20. Its putting in 20% that annoys the fans!
We the fans know the difference!!!!

Hurriflatch

Referee
Not being happy with the team performance is fine but there are other ways to express that rather then booing the team off.

Latest posts