What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels contemplating Noddy

Parraren

Bench
Eels contemplating Noddy

David Beniuk

July 9, 2010 - 5:39PM

Parramatta are considering an NRL swansong for Brett Kimmorley, with the veteran half ironically a chance of becoming young playmaker Daniel Mortimer's on-field tutor.

In a scenario which almost played out at Canterbury before Mortimer rejected an offer to stay with the Eels, Kimmorley is being discussed by the Parramatta hierarchy in the wake of current Eels Kris Keating (Bulldogs) and Feleti Mateo (Warriors) jumping ship.

Keating's decision to join Canterbury, who will also have halves Trent Hodkinson, Ben Barba and Ben Roberts on their books next year, has virtually ended Kimmorley's chances of playing on with the club in 2011.

The 33-year-old could slot into a coaching role but had previously indicated he wished to go around for a 17th season.

"We're having a look at him," Eels chief executive Paul Osborne told AAP on Friday.

"We're just looking at what our options are.

"Halves are an issue for us and he's someone that's been discussed but only been discussed, nothing further."

Osborne conceded Mortimer, who has struggled to regain the stellar form of his debut year, would benefit from some on-field tuition.

"It would be great if we got someone that could help him," Osborne said.
"He's a terrific player but I think someone mature outside of him or inside him would certainly help his game."

Parramatta are close to needing a miracle run similar to last year after five losses in their last six matches.

The Eels could theoretically also offer Kimmorley an off-field role beyond 2011 after coaching consultant Andrew Johns was cut loose following the racism row with centre Timana Tahu.

Meanwhile, Kiwi enforcer Steve Matai has given Manly until Monday to get serious or watch him join one of two NRL or three Super League clubs chasing his signature.

"Now they are just stalling and I need answers so I can sort out my future," NZPA quoted Matai as saying.

"It's disappointing because I am apparently not a priority for them ... I can't wait until the end of the year when clubs have signed up players and have no room."

Matai's manager Gavin Orr said the crash-tackling centre would either sign with the Warriors, another unidentified NRL club that had made a "quiet" offer or one of three UK clubs if the Sea Eagles' deal was not acceptable.

"We've given the Eagles 'til Monday to let us know where he stands otherwise we'll make our decision on Monday," Orr told AAP.
Orr said Manly did not expect Matai, who took six seasons to reach 100 games because of injury and suspension, to take a pay cut.

"They've just got cap issues like everybody else when they're dealing with players at that level," he said.

"He's only 25 so there's probably another four or five years there at Manly or another NRL club for him to play.

"He's one of the top centres in the game at the moment and, when it comes down to players of that (level), every club's got to do their numbers."

The Warriors have offered Matai a two-year deal after losing former Australian Test centre Brent Tate to North Queensland.
They have also signed Eels back Krisnan Inu and are reportedly circling Melbourne forwards Adam Blair and Brett White.

This story was found at: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/eels-contemplating-noddy-20100709-103ui.html

IFR33K

Coach
In all honesty, he could be the difference between a disappointing season and a good one.

Not a bad option, considering we have no others.

Stagger eel

Staff member
We're just looking at what our options are.
"Halves are an issue for us and he's someone that's been discussed but only been discussed, nothing further."

other clubs have decided on their options and have done something about it....lol

Eels Dude

Coach
other clubs have decided on their options and have done something about it....lol

Well obviously the club is looking at more than one option. Losing KK to the Dogs, our recent run of poor form, the fact we won't be able to sign Cronk, changed things. It's a domino effect really. We shouldn't be making snap decisions so I don't think this is bad at all that we're considering Kimmorley for a one season deal.

Parraren

Bench
We just need someone capable of putting Hayne through a few holes and into the clear like Barrett did for NSW the other night.

Someone that runs to the line and gives us some bloody direction.

we still have the footy cards on the dartboard and are throwing darts to decide who to chase, most of the darts seem to be missing any targets.

We just need someone capable of putting Hayne through a few holes and into the clear like Barrett did for NSW the other night.

Someone that runs to the line and gives us some bloody direction.
So we should chase Barrett and Kimmorely then? why not!

belmoreeel

Juniors
also dont forget Manly has afew off contract and will be in the market for the same players we are so whatever our chances are of signing anyone they are halved

Stagger eel

Staff member
Well obviously the club is looking at more than one option. Losing KK to the Dogs, our recent run of poor form, the fact we won't be able to sign Cronk, changed things. It's a domino effect really. We shouldn't be making snap decisions so I don't think this is bad at all that we're considering Kimmorley for a one season deal.

I understand that but their overall recruitment hasn't even got off the ground..is that not a concern to you?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Really I think we over-reacting a little on recruitment, seriously who have we missed out on ?

We need a half, yes we may have not chased some of the less experienced ones on the market such as Beau Henry and Trent Hodkingson. While they may eventually make good players, what the eels really need is an experienced half. Everyone on the forum agrees with this. So we made a attempt potentially to sign the best half that may be on the market. Obviously it is unlikely we will not sign cornk so we are looking at our options.

Looking at our forward pack, who have we missed out on ? Aiden Toleman, as good as he may be, do we really want to spend I guess between $250,000 to $300,000 on another prop. We will have 3 great props for next year so really what we need is a cheapie type prop. Plus Mannah will be getting a upgrade

Now for back rowers, the only one we have missed out is Neville costigan - most on here agree we need a hard wide running backrower, so I don't really think Neville fits this type of player. Plus the storm have a few forwards they may be releasing. On signing LOD, it appears he wants a 4 year contract, he would be 34 at the end and he isn't that good of a player to offering that long a contract

Now for backs to replace Grothe and Inu - I don't think we have missed out on everyone there. Justin Carney has potential but I think he is now playing in the forwards and has lost some speed.

If Shackton makes a good comeback
We resign Horo
Sign two backs - I would be happy with Micheal lett, Chase stanley or the Sharks dude
Sign two Forwards - sign one of the Melbourne 2 tier forwards, maybe chase Michael Greenfield plus we have the Manu m ( can't spell his name) our forward pack will be ok
Half - sign Kimmorley
Hooker - if we sign a halfback, either Humble or Mortimer could move a bench hooker

So really we haven't missed out on much. I think we will have a decent side next year.

mrpwnd

Bench
I wouldn't mind Kimmorley. He's a very consistent halfback and thats all the eels have been lacking. A halfback with even a shred of consistency, we don't need a premiership winning halfback, we don't need a world class halfback, we don't need an exciting new young talent playing halfback. We've always just lacked in that level of consistency in the halves and for the record, i believe Kimmorley can provide that. We already have a very balanced squad all round except out very weak halves.

decent maybe but not a side to challenge for the title.
we have a decent side already we just need someone in the halves who can create pressure and failing a try get repeat sets when we are camped on the opposition's tryline
how often have we seen other teams running out to the 20 or packing a scrum when the result should have been a goal line dropout to us?